TDI Conversions: Build Threads and Links to Swap Discussions

Col Sanders

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 Green And it's Possessed 2001 Audi A4 AFN SWAP
Audi A4 Info

Gathering info on a possible swap. There seems to be a abundance of Quattro cars out there. So here are my ?
1. Any problems deleting the Quattro drive ?
2. If I remove the drive shaft to the rear and pull the axles, any problem with that ?
3. I do not need a 4 wheel drive, although I live in the snow belt. It would be parked from Nov. through March. Have a AWD SUV for snow. I'm more concerned on MPG. However, don't wish to open a can of worms to do this.
4. Going to use a EU FWD 5sp. That ok ?
5. Trying to get ducks in a row. Thanks, Col.

algirdas

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta AHU
1. Any problems deleting the Quattro drive ?
2. If I remove the drive shaft to the rear and pull the axles, any problem with that ?
1 Shouldnt be problem deleting. Could remove diff too for less weight.
2 you'd need to seperate the outer cv joint and leave stub bolted in wheel bearing.

oil_me

Veteran Member
TDI
Black '99 Jetta, Glacier Blue Audi 80 Quattro TDI
I would like to say quattro isn't absolutely essential but it's not just for snow. Rain, sleet, puddles, gravel, hills, mud, wet grass. 2wd can get stuck or lose traction any time of year. I live in the Northeast and I drive my car every day in all weather, up and down hills with absolute confidence and get 50 mpg. To me, it's worth every extra spinning part. Please think it through.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Assistance needed to help others:

I'm looking for a AHU/1Z B4/Mk3 vacuum line diagram that shows the updated routing for a VNT N75 and actuator. I can't find the one picture that was in a couple threads where it shows the OEM routing with a red X over the old N75 and then shows the new N75 routing.

I think this pic was hosted on some photo site and then the link died. I'd like to host it on TDIclub so we always have it for those looking for this unique combo. worst case when I get home I'll draw it out based on my car's setup.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Anyone consider the Tiggy TDI swap? We just bought a used 4Motion and I still have a CKRA (NMS) long block, intake, and DPF sitting in the garage. As I look at the ancillaries such as fuel pumps, harness, ECM I start to think a wrecked Passat might be better.

BTW - just got it and need it for transport for the foreseeable future, so this is very early on fact finding. Besides, I'm certain wifely would kill and divorce me if I tore her new SUV apart :)

Jason

Col Sanders

Veteran Member
TDI
Short update on my AFN swap into a 2001 1.8t Quattro. Ordered swap kit form Frans, still waiting. Removed drive shaft and rear axles. Pressed off the outside hubs and cleaned everything up, installed the hubs, did brakes while it was apart. Cleaned the exhaust pipes and muffler up, they are in great shape. Pulled the front axles out and did brake job in front. This week I'm going to list engine for sale. slush box is garbage. I'll remove front end and drain all the fluids ( except oil ) so perspective buyer can see/hear it run. I'll give this a couple weeks, no taker's and out she comes anyway. Recipient car is Silver ( my favorite ) with light grey leather interior. Body and interior are in great shape. Now I'm slowed down form a accident, broke right leg 2 places, left one bruised up good. Cast comes off in 4 weeks. I did half of the work above with my broke leg, put tools in little box push over to car with my crutches and sit on my butt, works ok. Wife says I'm nuts. Can't stand to sit around. Hope my engine and parts arrive soon, it's been awhile. Col.

Col Sanders

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone have a secret way to remove the A/C connections at the condenser ? I got the top one off ( larger one ) , however the bottom one will not bulge . I am afraid if I apply more pressure I will brake the line going into the condenser. I hold the line with vice grips at the square on the line. This is the last disconnect so I can remove the radiator and frame. It must be removed to sit aside. I have limited area to pull the engine are I would just sit it aside. It's going to be out for quite awhile, I work slow. LOL. Any advice ? Thanks, Col.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
What car are you removing it from? I know on the mk2/Corrado I have to hold the condenser side with a wrench to hold it. I know on some solid brake line connections I'll cut the rubber hose and use an impact gun on the fitting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Col Sanders

Veteran Member
TDI
It's on a 2001 Audi A4 1.8t. Its the high pressure return line at the bottom of the condenser. Cutting the line would do no good. Its one piece run up to the pressure valve that snakes up along passenger side fender. With a lot of turns and twist. My calipers say its a 24mm nut. Going over to the dealer and talk to a mechanic I know, see if they have a special wrench for it. They must run into this all the time. Let you know what happens. Col.

Col Sanders

Veteran Member
TDI
Well it's off. sprayed it with Kroil and tapped with a small hammer on the flats of the coupler about 30 times. Counter held with vice grips and large adjustable wrench, off she come. Dealer said they struggle with them all the time. There is no special wrench for this. Tap and spray is it. On to pulling the engine.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I had to deal with those when I did my 1.8T b5 Passat, they sucked.

Col Sanders

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I have been busy since I got the front end out of the way. Disconnecting lots of lines. This car had some real funky G12 in it , yuk ! At this point I am going leave the engine in and just remove the trashed tiptronic trans . I'm beginning to worry about my parts swap I ordered. Worst case I will put a 5sp manual and leave the 1.8t in. I have a JY with all the stuff at a very reasonable price. Hope I don't have to go that route .

Col Sanders

Veteran Member
TDI
Update, TDI parts are on the way. Need some help here, where do I hook on to the back of the 1.8t engine with my hoist chain ? I'm pulling engine & trans as one. Don't wish to destroy this engine, its good. Pulling trans mounts in morning, thats all that left, then out she comes. Just don't see a good place to hook to. Thanks, Col.

Col Sanders

Veteran Member
TDI
Well found the rear hook, it was under a plastic wire support. I had my hand on it while looking over back of block. glad it wasn't a snake. . I will smite myself upside the head for being stupid. Engine/trans coming out in morning. Col.

aslspiderman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Assistance needed to help others:

I'm looking for a AHU/1Z B4/Mk3 vacuum line diagram that shows the updated routing for a VNT N75 and actuator. I can't find the one picture that was in a couple threads where it shows the OEM routing with a red X over the old N75 and then shows the new N75 routing.

I think this pic was hosted on some photo site and then the link died. I'd like to host it on TDIclub so we always have it for those looking for this unique combo. worst case when I get home I'll draw it out based on my car's setup.
Just emailed you a diagram. Not sure it's the one you are looking for

Candelstick

TDI
2000 Jetta
2000 alh swap into something

I don't know yet What I want to put it in but can someone point me to some links for swapping to a mk5 posably. The shell I have is rusting so bad and the suspension is shot so if anyone know we're i could get a 03 shell so I just need to put the alh and tranny into that would be great

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I haven't paid attention lately, but on some older engines the tensioner came with a washer between it and the block. Might worth checking out.

Jason

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Does anyone here know of a link to a post on the timing belt not lining up on the pulleys? My belt is only lined up on the tensioner. All the rest are 1/8" off to the rear. If the tensioner was moved out 1/8" then all would be lined up. What to do ?

What engine are you dealing with?

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Do the timing tools hold the belt in place?

So, is the belt forward on the pulleys by 1/4"?

Have you rotated the engine by hand, at least 2 revolutions?

Tony

computationalerr

TDI
B7 passat
b7 to mk5?

Ive got a wrecked 2015 TDI passat with DSG in the tow yard that insurance has decided not to pay the lot fees.
I also have a 2007 GTI with the BPY FSI motor with a DSG trans. The FSI is a failure prone abortion in my opinion.

What is the reality of this swap? I cant seem to find anything on this, most likely because there arent too many people that have the luxury of getting a car this new to tear into. Ive been told by several people that it is more trouble than it is worth. That just motivates me more. I have zero experience with anything this new. Are the fuse blocks compatible? Woud I be able to just repin the connectors as necessary, or would I have to change over the plugs where necessary? Would the cluster connection be the same? Can I code out the DEF? As always, this is for off road purposes only.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Doing a swap into a Corrado, mk2, b3/B4? If so consider this go pedal mounting bracket from S&P Automotive:

http://s-pautomotive.com/?product=mk2-corrado-or-passat-dbw-adapter

It mounts in less than 10 minutes without pulling the dash. And allows you use mk4 and newer go pedals.

Here it is in Corrado with a Touareg pedal for my 3.6 VR6

MYHALY

TDI
2006 Audi a4 2.0 BHW TDI
Hi. Does anyone from you have 2004 Audi A4 1,9 TDI AWX engine harness diagramme? I will appreciate any help.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have it. I am in Dashwood, about 40 minutes north of London. Either a very, very large PDF of the whole audi A4 manual (difficult to email) or I can print the diagrams you need.

Create a Dropbox account and you can share the large pdf file that way.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I added two more build threads. There are a lot of great swaps in progress when the swaps are road worthy send me a link and I'll add it to the list to help others follow in your foot steps. Sorry I don't seek out threads to add these days, just not enough time...

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Eurovans Added

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI