upgraded OEM intake snorkle

SchonerGTI

TDI
VW Golf IV RTD
I mean this piece that it should be the snorkle it differs from ALH/ATD to ARL or is the same?
Because from etka the ALH/ATD vag code ends with "B" and the ARL/ASZ vag code ends with "C".
But the size is the same or not? Has someone made a comparison?
Thanks a lot.

Bazmcc

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora 2002 100PD
I already answered that question above. It's the same on ALH, ATD, ASZ, ARL etc. It may be a different part number but they all fit exactly the same.
The only one that is different and larger is the one on the DSG R32.

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
Got the airbox side mod in. The only small snag is removing those clips holding the plastic piece (snorkel start plate) behind the headlight. The clip centre pin has to be knocked out before collapsing the hands. On the lower one access is difficult - must be a special tool for that. ended up replacing the lower one with ziptie. This car is held together with countless zipties :D

The other point is the airbox mod to accept the bigger snorkel is very minor, no need to cut too much. see pics.

For the accordian I used 3" hump coupler and 3" to 2.75" reducer coupler with 3" AL pipe. The OMI has 2.75" receiver.

One thing that is a bit bothersome is there is not much space at the beginning of the snorkel behind the headlight. :confused: . I might end up removing it altogether at some point to see if it makes a diff.

Bazmcc

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora 2002 100PD
The 2 parts behind the headlight is your air channel directing air from the front grill to the snorkel. It would be a good idea to keep it there.

fenwick458

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 T5 Van
Bazmcc said:
I already answered that question above. It's the same on ALH, ATD, ASZ, ARL etc. It may be a different part number but they all fit exactly the same.
The only one that is different and larger is the one on the DSG R32.
on my 2001 PD115 the snorkel was smaller than the one pictured above, i upgraded to a snorkel from a PD150 and it was much bigger.
i did have a pic of the 2 side by side but i can't find it. all i can find is this pic of it here, as you can see it's a bit thinner:

Bazmcc

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora 2002 100PD
Would be interested to see that Stuart.

From what I've seen and read only the R32 DSG was bigger?

Because the lower part of the Airboxes appear to be indentical.

I'm PM you regarding a lift pump install I need to do.

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
fenwick458 said:
on my 2001 PD115 the snorkel was smaller than the one pictured above, i upgraded to a snorkel from a PD150 and it was much bigger.
i did have a pic of the 2 side by side but i can't find it. all i can find is this pic of it here, as you can see it's a bit thinner:
That may well explain why I didn't have to trim as much on the PD150 airbox bottom half. I had the stock ALH and PD150 airboxes in hand, should have compared.

fenwick458

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 T5 Van
i think they are both the same size at the end where they connect to the airbox, but the smaller one i had seemed to thin a bit more as it went towards the headlight, whereas the larger one was more or less the same size all the way down.
can you see the difference from the pic i posted? if you compare that to the one at the top of this post there is a difference in thickness

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
Wish I'd found this sooner. It definitely made a difference in my car, which used to smoke when I got on it or when I lugged it. Now it's much harder to "soot"... I may have to undo the adaptation adjustments I made when I installed the bigger pump and injectors to reduce the smoke.

TDI love

TDI
02 Jetta
The TDI is very sensitive to air filtration - witness the issues with K&N filters and MAFs. Some users of CAIs have reported hydrolock when a cone filter has gotten sufficiently wet / under water.

Most of the guys here pushing big power are using some variant on the stock intake; ask Justin and Peter. ;)
So correct me if I am wrong.
http://www.gmpperformance.com/index.cfm?PG=detail&PID=100602
The CAI by Evolution Motorsports seems easier to install but since it is an unprotected cone, this risk the possibility of having the engine lock up on you because excessive water in it like driving through a flood?

tjpeterson96

TDI
04 bew jetta
Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Im always one for sticking with the Stock air box but i thought most people did a battery relocation into the trunk and ran a cold air intake or strait pipe and swiss cheese mod.
Glad to see a 10 year mod still alive.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
x but i thought most people did a battery relocation into the trunk
why move weight off of the drive wheels?

I tossed the tube that goes around the battery a long time ago, and went with a VR6 upper filter box long ago to get more MAF range
now I'm finding that I'll need to figure out a new filter setup. Stock one was still doing fine performance wise, just doesn't fit in the engine bay any more. Might even have to go MAP based fueling. :c

Anything under 50mm inducer can be happily fed by the stock airbox, beyond that you might start running into restriction.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I installed this setup (bought piecemeal from Europe) in 2006, along with a PD150 airbox to intake and intake manifold. Still like it, although it's significantly louder than the stock setup. I tend to forget it's not what came in the car, until someone asks me about it.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
why move weight off of the drive wheels?
I tossed the tube that goes around the battery a long time ago, and went with a VR6 upper filter box long ago to get more MAF range
now I'm finding that I'll need to figure out a new filter setup. Stock one was still doing fine performance wise, just doesn't fit in the engine bay any more. Might even have to go MAP based fueling. :c
Anything under 50mm inducer can be happily fed by the stock airbox, beyond that you might start running into restriction.
more balanced weight distribution for road courses :D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You smile, but the battery is in the worst possible place in these cars if you want to corner balance them. On the heavy side of the car, at the heavy end, at the far corner, in front of the wheels. Swapping the stock battery to a 9 lb. Braille battery for track days made a significant improvement in corner balancing my TDI.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
You smile, but the battery is in the worst possible place in these cars if you want to corner balance them. On the heavy side of the car, at the heavy end, at the far corner, in front of the wheels. Swapping the stock battery to a 9 lb. Braille battery for track days made a significant improvement in corner balancing my TDI.
yeah it's in a terrible spot.. I have an auxiliary battery tucked in by the spare tire for the sound system, but on track days that aux battery serves as a main battery after the engine is running haha..