Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
BrianCT said:
A friend of mine in Saudi Arabia said that since a barrel of crude reached $75 ...in local Saudi Arabian gasoline stations have dropped their fuel pump prices from 90 cents a gallon to 59 cents a gallon.

OK here are some figures for Saudia Arabia

Imports—partners: US 21%, UK 9%, Japan 9%, Germany 6%, France 5%, Italy 4% (1998)
Imports—commodities: machinery and equipment, foodstuffs, chemicals, motor vehicles, textiles

Anyone see where I'm going here. Raise our oil prices and we cut off your food supply. Why aren't we doing to some of these countries what they are doing to us with the supply and demand forces.

All is fair in "Oil" and War... :D

DK

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Golf 6 speed
Dunno513
I see where you're going. I wonder if anyone heard the interview on PBS "Science Friday" last week about methynol. The Dr. and Nobel prize winner was insufferably long-winded, but the argument for methynol over ethynol was pretty strong. I presumed when I bought my TDI that the next car I bought would burn something other than an oil...:confused: DK

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
Dunno513 said:
Anyone see where I'm going here.
Yes, isolationism. This back-fired on the U.S. between 1921-1933. If there was a boycott on Saudia it wouldn't hurt them a single cent. China is begging for all that the middle east can produce. China has an ever increasing demand on oil and they'll never complain a second on the price of a barrel.

You see?

Playing fair in the sandbox means sharing the pales and shovels.

Brian

LightningTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 United Grey Passat TDI Wagon with Grey Leather; '05 Golf, 5-speed automatic TDI; '04 Beetle 5M TDI; '02 Beetle auto TDI
Diesel Prices

US$2.87 here in Tampa...

HEMIHD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta PD TDI
$3.03 in Bristol Connecticut this morning. I went to Impexfest this past weekend in Maryland and D2 was about .20 cents cheaper.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
On Sunday when I filled up it was $3.03 a gallon at Hess in Alexandria, VA (about 6 miles South of the Washington Beltway on US Rt. 1). I've seen it other places up to $3.29 a gallon in Northern Virginia. Us folks in Northern Virginia have some of the highest priced diesel in the nation, rivaling California prices.

--Nate

RAST

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI
Dunno513 said:
Anyone see where I'm going here. Raise our oil prices and we cut off your food supply. Why aren't we doing to some of these countries what they are doing to us with the supply and demand forces.

All is fair in "Oil" and War... :D
Here's a little-known problem with your theory.

It's called the national debt. Saudi Arabia owns $Billions and Billions of US Dollars. More than enough that if we decided to boycott them, they could sink our economy in ten seconds. If Saudi Arabia sold their dollar holdings the US economy would collapse in days. (Same can be said for China, the UK and Japan.) Remember what happened to Argentina when their currency collapsed? That could happen to us if we "got tough" with Saudi Arabia. We simply can not afford to piss them off.

In fact the situation has gotten worse in the past 5 years than it was in all the history of the US combined. If you want a real eye-opener on the topic just read this:

Throughout the first 224 years (1776-2000) of our nation’s history, 42 U.S. presidents borrowed a combined $1.01 trillion from foreign governments and financial institutions according to the U.S. Treasury Department. In the past four years alone (2001-2005), the Bush Administration has borrowed a staggering $1.05 trillion.
http://www.house.gov/apps/list/hearing/ca18_cardoza/bush_administration_breaks_record.html
As President Clinton said, "How do you get tough on your banker?"

mjnusn

TDI
Golf, 2002, Reflex Silver
$2.68 on corner of battlefield and airport in Chesapeake, VA. I think the station was a SOLO.

PapaBare

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2005, Shadow Blue
Diesel is $0.965 /litre & gasoline is $1.095/litre or
diesel is $3.33/USG & gasoline is $3.77/USG.

And these prices are down from the winter time.

What are you complaining about????

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
PDJetta said:
On Sunday when I filled up it was $3.03 a gallon at Hess in Alexandria, VA (about 6 miles South of the Washington Beltway on US Rt. 1). I've seen it other places up to $3.29 a gallon in Northern Virginia. Us folks in Northern Virginia have some of the highest priced diesel in the nation, rivaling California prices. --Nate
__. Yeah, Nate. More of the same. I went up to visit MzLauraLee over the weekend and stopped at Love's near Emporia. D2 was $2.73; RUG was $2.69. I think she mostly uses the B20 at Pentagon tho.
'

istewart

Veteran Member
$3.16/gal. cash at Texaco truck stop in Tracy, CA. I've given up on buying from regular gas stations, they're even worse.

larithmos

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
I am in LA for the summer and have seen diesel hanging around 3.59 to 3.79 lately.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Noticable price declines at some stations -- others are keeping their prices high. But I never bought from them anyway.

A few days ago, only a few stations in the county were charging less than $3.30. Now there are at least 20, and one station has dropped below $3.20

sodapop6620

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000
B99.99 at Wo Go is $2.89 today. That is the same price as thier B5 pump price.
But they do have E85 for $1.85 as an intro price, not sure when they will add the extra dollar back in.

overbite

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat
Gas took a $.37 jump last night. Diesel stayed the same or went up a dime depending on the station. Evertying RUG and Diesel is at $2.89 and up.

fgn11

TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI, 5A, Blue
Just filled up at GasMart in Algonquin, Illinois for US$2.999 per gal., about a mile down the road I saw that fuel was US$2.849 at Meijer. I should have shopped around more. My bad luck.

sythy

TDI
1997 Jetta TDI, 2002 Jetta TDI (sold),2005 Passat Wagon TDI (sold), 2006 Jetta TDI (Sold) 2009 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat TDI SEL (Sold), 2013 Audi A6 3.0T
3.45 here in santa barbara california

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
Looks like gas prices have fallen in the past week, along with it D2 prices too. For a week D2 shot above RUG, but they seem to have slipped back down. Paid 2.84 on Wednesday while RUG was 2.87. On Thursday RUG was down to 2.77. I can't keep up with it. There's still a station nearby with D2 at 2.99 with RUG at 2.84. I boycott them just because.