1999 S10 ZR2 BHW Swap

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
oh hah my bad, i kind of fell behind on the thread.

you don't have to take the head off to swap the bolts, just do them one at a time, pretty common practice for guys who put studs in. so i'd say leave the head on, just open the top up and take a look at the cam.
i'd honestly say if it made it to 211k with the factory cam i'd guess its still good.
True I could do that. Yeah I hope the cam is fine as it would save some money, but I don't have this cars history like I did with my sedan so you never know. I know only the correct oil was used in my car it's whole life. I only get my girls the good s.hit hahaha

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
how does it work with the cams in these, they just blow fast or can you look at one and check to see if its good? i hear about bad cams constantly in the PD motors but not much about inspecting them

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
how does it work with the cams in these, they just blow fast or can you look at one and check to see if its good? i hear about bad cams constantly in the PD motors but not much about inspecting them
There's a whole procedure outlined here:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/camshaft-lobe-wear-inspection-and-replacement-on-tdi-pd-engine/

I'm using that site for most of these procedures in combination with the Bentley DVD, they have pictures and steps for almost everything.

https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/b5-2004-2005-vw-passat-tdi-forum-faq-diy-bhw-engine/

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
Finally got my MPVI2 and my PCM back to start using HPTuners! I decided to just order the PCM connectors to make my bench harness that way, because after I moved the blazer into the garage and started taking out the wiring, there was a field mouse in there chilling and staring me down...needless to say im too slow to catch that little bugger so I didn't wanna leave the truck in the garage with him running around in there lol.
I took an old D-Link router apart and started modifying the case to make a interface box to make my life easier. Gotta go get a smaller 2A fuse but its basically just a box to hold the obd port and have a few switches for power and ignition power. I also took the power jack from it so I dont have to ruin a good 12V power cable. (I use them all the time)

Here's some pictures:

Heres the diagram for anyone that might need it (credit: gmtruckcentral)

Last edited:

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
SUCCESS :D :D

My interface box works perfectly. It gave me a scare because the freaking MPVI2 had a firmware update and for whatever reason until I re-synced it and updated it, it wasn't responding.

I was able to read the 0411 PCM, verify that LSX Power tuning put the S10 VIN in there, licence it with said VIN, and decided to turn VATS off and write that to it as a test. Im so flippin excited, when things work its such a confidence booster lol

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
Cool your good to go. I love HPtuners as you can put those shift points exactly where you want them. Can even add a tow map too.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I can give you some cats to take care of the mice problem? I have plenty. Each time i bring home a new passat, 4x4 or boat the little lady brings home another pet.

Have you worked out the kick down cable connection for this yet?

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
I can give you some cats to take care of the mice problem? I have plenty. Each time i bring home a new passat, 4x4 or boat the little lady brings home another pet.
Have you worked out the kick down cable connection for this yet?
Haha too bad I'm allergic, I'd love to see some cats mess these mice up :D

Since everything is going to be electronically controlled, no need for a cable. It's all adjustable in the shift tables.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Im having a brain fart....i keep forgetting the e in the 4l60e means no cable!

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
Haha too bad I'm allergic, I'd love to see some cats mess these mice up :D
Since everything is going to be electronically controlled, no need for a cable. It's all adjustable in the shift tables.
how does the GM trans know where the throttle is, it's all wired in together as it would be in a stock truck or you found something else to go off of?

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
So I think I've come up with a creative idea for how I can use the Chevy crank position sensor to feed the 0411 (it could very well be the dumbest idea y'all have ever heard tho lol)
Basically instead of trying to add a reluctor/tone? wheel externally to the harmonic balancer, I want to try to make an adapter similar to the one TDConversion's makes to mate the tdi crank to the flexplate with the keys built in. I then want to add a bung for the sensor to fit into so it can read it.
This keeps the wheel and sensor internal like they normally are and should be more reliable me thinks...here's my crappy drawing of my idea

If I can get this to work then I've pretty much figured out how to keep the chevy PCM happy and can start testing everything once I pull the engine.

I've also learned of "passthrough" VSS sensors from dakota digital, so I can use the VSS output from the chevy PCM straight to the VW ECU (modifing the Pulse Per Mile with hp tuners) and use the pass through VSS with a dakota box to feed the speedo.

I think VSS was the only sensor external to the engine that the VW ECU needs but please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have a list of sensors that the engine uses/needs for a standalone application. I was just going to make a list of everything I take off of the passat.

Slowly but surely I'm learning a lot about engine/transmission management haha

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
For my VSS I've got a hall sensor from the turbine shaft on a 8 speed joint-venture trans
It was internal in a clean ATF environment, now it seems to be doing just fine mounted on a piece of angle iron out in the open by one of the inner CV joints.

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
That's actually a really nice looking piece of kit. So far I think ill be fine in my current plans, but if something comes up I might look into that more.

I started tearing the front end of the wagon this week, hopefully ill get the harness and everything pulled soon. It's slow going trying to do everything by myself, as I have to read how most of this stuff comes apart first and then go try to do it while also marking everything so i don't forget where plugs and screws go.

Oh those mice in the underbelly of the car finally died...found two of em dead on the floor last night. Was wondering why there was a slight lingering smell in the garage lol

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
Trying to see how to wire the accelerator pedal up to a power supply (or the 0411 5v reference) and see what the S10 PCM picks up, to know if i need to calibrate it or not. Can someone explain to me how these wiring diagrams show the pin function from the VW ECU?? Like how does this explain to me which pin on the pedals 6 pin connector gets 5v which gets ground, and which is the signal out?

ManicMechanic

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf, 00 Golf, 02 Beetle
Volkswagen really doesn't put pin functions in the diagram. Other than Can high, Can low. Why do you need the reference voltage? Why not just extend the wires and use the volkswagen pedal directly to the ECM?

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
Volkswagen really doesn't put pin functions in the diagram. Other than Can high, Can low. Why do you need the reference voltage? Why not just extend the wires and use the volkswagen pedal directly to the ECM?
Because I want to see how the s10 pcm interprets the signal out from the pedal, to know if I need to tweak the settings and calibrate it or not. I need to send the signal to both the VW ecu and the S10 PCM to control the transmission.

I tried asking on the tdi swapped truck facebook page and everyone got all up in arms about "why don't you just connect it to the vw ecu normally" and how I'm gonna kill myself or someone else...its pretty annoying. I design sensors for a living, I know how this stuff works which is why I'm testing everything beforehand lol

Its honestly pretty dumb on VWs part though to not put simple pin descriptions. GMs diagrams are so much simpler and way more informative.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
and how I'm gonna kill myself or someone else...its pretty annoying.
you should try looking for a firmware to run a VE tdi off a microsquirt
jesus those guys are rabid about their 'die by wire'

personal responsibility is dead

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
you should try looking for a firmware to run a VE tdi off a microsquirt
jesus those guys are rabid about their 'die by wire'
personal responsibility is dead
Yeah, at least I'm doing my due diligence so they can think whatever they want. At least I'm trying to make something that's already automotive grade and designed to already do the job i want it to do, vs using some low grade microcontroller and trusting it :rolleyes:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Yeah, at least I'm doing my due diligence so they can think whatever they want. At least I'm trying to make something that's already automotive grade and designed to already do the job i want it to do, vs using some low grade microcontroller and trusting it :rolleyes:
Eh, I'm of the opinion that runaways happen. At least if the QA gets siezed or stuck at 5v then the shut down solenoid still does its job.
Same if your pedal mods manage to stick the TPS at WOT.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
I did the same thing on a Ranger automatic that I did a TDI swap on.

Had to add a pot to the pedal output to get the correct voltage to the Ranger ECU but it has been working fine for the last 3 years.
Sorry, I don't have a pinout or remember what wire it was that I tee'd into for the signal.
The Ranger ECU also needed a crank (RPM) signal and I added a Digital Dakota box in that line so I could feed the ECU any RPM signal I wanted in order to adjust shift points. It worked well.

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
I did the same thing on a Ranger automatic that I did a TDI swap on.

Had to add a pot to the pedal output to get the correct voltage to the Ranger ECU but it has been working fine for the last 3 years.
Sorry, I don't have a pinout or remember what wire it was that I tee'd into for the signal.
The Ranger ECU also needed a crank (RPM) signal and I added a Digital Dakota box in that line so I could feed the ECU any RPM signal I wanted in order to adjust shift points. It worked well.
Been looking at your thread since it seemed like you did the same thing I'm trying to do, just with the ford equivalent. Glad to know you got it working and its been fine. No worries about the pinout, I'm just gonna rip everything out of the Passat one of these days hook everything up, and start probing around.

IdontownaVW

TDI
MK1 AHU, Colorado Duramax
If it uses the mk4 styled pedal I can try to poke around on the plug in my mk1 next time I'm in the garage but don't remember if the heater box blocked my access...it got a little tight in there. :D

Just found this on another thread, but not sure if it's exactly what you're after!

MK4/5 Accelerator Pedal, 1x6 terminal

1 - F8 Engine Control Unit (Kickdown Switch: 0-90% = 9+V >90% = 0V)
2 - G79 Engine Control Unit (5.0V)
3 - G79 Engine Control Unit (GND)
4 - G79 Engine Control Unit (0% = 0.35V 25% = 1.1V 50% = 1.7V 75% = 2.3V 100% = 2.85V max = 4.5V)
5 - F60 Engine Control Unit (Idle switch - Signal: 0% = 0V, >1% = 2.785V)
6 - F60 Engine Control Unit (Idle switch - Ground)

Last edited:

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
Engine finally pulled

Just a small update, been a busy Summer. Got the TDI drivetrain pulled. Gonna give it a quick wash and get it on the stand for the BSM delete and to inspect the camshaft. So glad to finally have this out, gonna pull the rest of the wiring from the car and clean my garage now lol

Last edited:

TDI-Sami

TDI
ALH going into Samurai
good stuf

I didn't see the year of that Passat, it looks like all the parts I think I'm going to need. I was told everything was longitudinal these days, I don't want to hijack your thread but could you p/m me I have a load of questions for you.
Thanks,
John

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
So not much of an update but I got the engine off the floor and on a new engine stand courtesy the Hazard Fraud (Harbor Freight).

Also got access to a BDM tool and got a spare ECU off ebay to practice with, been reading about ecu programming and found a definition file for a 1.9 Jetta (038906016H) which is for a BEW I think.

Its all in German so I'm in the middle of translating everything and copying over the map structures/definitions to my backup ecu file.

I disabled the immobilizer (I think lol), and I'm working on figuring out how to disable transmission related codes.

When I had my daily Passat manual swapped, it was taking longer than expected to get the tune from malone (I think they went on vacation or something), so because I really needed my car by a certain date, I took it early since the mechanical work was all finished and drove it without the new tune (only for like a day or two =P). From what I remember it drove pretty much fine other than the check engine light complaining and the fact that it would rev hang.

I think I'm gonna try to keep the ecu for the truck programmed in the same state as an automatic so that it continues to rev hang and try to change the gear ratios in the software to match the 4l60e for any calculations it needs.

I'm not sure what malone does for standalone ECUs, I wanna say they configure the software as if its a manual but no clue. This will be fun to figure out though =]

Last edited:

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
18'6" welded aluminum jetboat with pd160, gtb2056vl, and tuning by rub87, 2003 chev blazer with bhw swap, 2000 jetta alh with gtd1752 vrk, .240 injectors, 11mm pump, fmic, 6 spd manual
Nice project, I will definitely be following this as I am starting on a bhw into a 2003 4door blazer swap. Is your S10 4x4? I haven't pulled the 4.3 out of my blazer yet, but looking it over I think I may have some clearance issues between the front dif and the bhw oil pan. Mine will be a nv3500 5 speed instead of the auto so that will simplify it somewhat.

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
Nice project, I will definitely be following this as I am starting on a bhw into a 2003 4door blazer swap. Is your S10 4x4? I haven't pulled the 4.3 out of my blazer yet, but looking it over I think I may have some clearance issues between the front dif and the bhw oil pan. Mine will be a nv3500 5 speed instead of the auto so that will simplify it somewhat.
Yeah its 4x4 (all Zr2's are). The nv3500 will definitely make it easier but just make sure you're not going crazy with making all kinds of torque because that trans isn't the strongest. It should be fine for the most part with a good clutch tho. I'm not even close to thinking about mounting yet lol, but i know the TDConversions adapter sits the engine 2" forward for tandem pump/firewall clearance, not sure how close the pan is to the front diff with that spacing tho.

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
18'6" welded aluminum jetboat with pd160, gtb2056vl, and tuning by rub87, 2003 chev blazer with bhw swap, 2000 jetta alh with gtd1752 vrk, .240 injectors, 11mm pump, fmic, 6 spd manual
I made my own adapter plate from 5/16" steel and plan to keep the engine as far to the rear as I can in hopes of clearing the front diff. If that doesn't give me enough I may have to modify the pan and oil pump pick up or worst case change the diff mounts to move it ahead and down a little. If I have firewall clearance issues I will delete the tandem pump and try running a 100 psi electric fuel pump and electric vacuum pump. I haven't pulled the 4.3 from the blazer yet, so won't really know how things will fit until I get that out and hang the bhw in there for a test fit.