Mk6 Jetta: Hard Start / No Start - Intercooler icing discussion in here!

If you have experienced intercooler icing, select from the following options...

• Total voters

j1mbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Reflex Silver JSW TDI - 17" Anthracite Goals and 2014 Reflex Silver Golf TDI
I think that I just had this issue. Car parked for a week, had some 15f mornings and then warm-ups. Tried to start the card today and it fired up and immediately stopped. Tried second time and nothing. Immediately suspected water ingestion from the IC issue and called to have it towed to dealer. Dropped it off tonight and will hear tomorrow. Not exactly been lucky with this car- Had a HPFP failure at less than 20k and now possible Hydrolock from a known issue that VW dont care enough about to fix!

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
Thanks Benny. Took me forever to figure out how to find my post and so I posted twice. Riverhead VW.
Anytime! If I need a dealer I use Donadson's in Sayville, because I live so close (literally go by their driveway every night on the way home). They are generally pretty good, but I have similar gripes as most people in reference to dealers (they usually throw parts at a problem, etc). But if it's not too far for you, it may be worth a trip.

M. Tummi

TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Just had what I believe to be melted intercooler icing issue this afternoon. It's been cold here in Chicago this past week, -1 Fahrenheit at night and 12 degrees during the day. This afternoon, it was 40 degrees. Last night it was about 18 degrees but very humid. I drove the car last night and parked it on the street. I go to start it this afternoon and it started and immediately died.

I did not try to restart it, but instead called the VW dealer immediately and started yelling. Generally I feel that's out of line, but I started getting something from the guy about me reading on the internet about problems that don't exist so I figured I would let him have it.

Tow truck comes in two hours to have it towed to Fox Valley Volkswagen in Schaumburg, Illinois. We'll see how they handle this. If I get the "sir we need to replicate the issue" I'm going to steamroll someone.

j1mbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Reflex Silver JSW TDI - 17" Anthracite Goals and 2014 Reflex Silver Golf TDI
I basically got told that they could not replicate the issue and would not put the new part on until they could. VWOA towed the same line also. I did ask them to pull the lower IC hose and they claim there was no water/condensation..... Mine was mysteriously working again after sitting at the dealer and no diagnosis was given. I would open a case with VWOA of I were you however.

dhelderman

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I was wondering if this thermodynamic phenomenon is related to the emissions scandal and not simply a defective part. If the vehicles are spewing up to 35% more Nox than thought would that cause intercooler to fail?
My Jetta died while I was driving it this week. They replaced the intercooler but said they suspect something is still wrong and are continuing to troubleshoot.
I had brought the car in five times in the last 6 months because of rough running, loss of some power, engine vibration, and tach bouncing.
They wouldn't even look at it because there were no codes. Finally I paid them to investigate and they discovered a bad pressure retention valve but that didn't fix problem. The service manager treated me like I was crazy and refused to look at it a week before it died because he assured me nothing was wrong.
Im new to this forum, not very savvy about motors and am female.
Any input appreciated as I continue to deal with VW waiting for vehicle repairs.
Did you ever get any answers on the tach bouncing thing? I was sitting at a stop light the other day and the car was idling fine when it began to jump between approximately 800 and 1000 rpm. It ran fine when I took off from the light. I also had what my shop attributed to the intercooler issue--dead battery type symptoms, wouldn't take a charge, then finally had a really hard start. Just curious.

bikephilski

TDI
2009 Jetta sportwagen
Our 2009 Sportwagen is back at the dealer for the 2nd time since Christmas. intercooler update worked for one day before the car wouldn't start again. IT has been there a week and they are blaming it on summer fuel. The dealer is 2.5 hours away in much warmer climate, so of course the car started by the time it got there... I don't buy the summer duel thing they are saying, same fuel I run in my truck with out any issues. (down to -30f so far this year) There is diesel 911 in the car also, just incase it was gelled fuel, but i pulled the fuel filter and it was perfect liquid fuel. Starting to think its a glow plug issue, our light only stays on for about 3 seconds. I don't see that being long enough at 0 or lower. Anyone have any thoughts?

Has anyone installed a frost heater? I don't want to have a bandaid fix, but I do like the idea of easier starts and longer lasting engine. We originally planned on keeping this car for a very long time.

mac5155

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
Had the shop take my intercooler piping off during the 40k service. Said no excess fluid was found. Concerning since I had a hard start just last week after a cold morning + 40 degree afternoon. Gulp.

bikephilski

TDI
2009 Jetta sportwagen
yes, have tried two and three cycles. talked to dealer today and they are replacing the glow plug controller. will know tomorrow if it worked hopefully

John_Nutt

TDI
2011 Jetta Comfortline TDI with a DSG automatic 6 speed
Did you ever get any answers on the tach bouncing thing? I was sitting at a stop light the other day and the car was idling fine when it began to jump between approximately 800 and 1000 rpm. It ran fine when I took off from the light. I also had what my shop attributed to the intercooler issue--dead battery type symptoms, wouldn't take a charge, then finally had a really hard start. Just curious.

I had the rpm thing, noticed it 40km after getting two injectors replaced and 20 km before the car shut down and the glow plug light was flashing. Turned out to be the electronic engine control module.

Boatman

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 Jetta, '04 Sprinter, '14 GLK 250
I had water in the intercooler today. This morning I went out to start the car (2011 Jetta), heated up the glow plugs and she fired right up normally. About 3 seconds later the engine locked up and would not turn over again. I let it sit for a couple hours and tried again,, it turned over about a half revolution. So I towed it into the garage. This evening I pulled the skid pan and loosened the hose clamp on the intercooler hose. As soon as I loosened the clamp water drops were forming so I knew what I was dealing with. Pulled the hose off and 2-3 cups of water poured out. With the hose still off I tried to start it and it spun a revolution then stopped,,,, let it sit for a few minutes and it turned over slow. Let it sit a few more minutes and it spun over normally,,, cranked for a few seconds then started. Let it idle and stabilize for about 30 seconds and then put it all back together. Took it for a 10 mile drive and all seems to be okay.

95k miles on the car and this has never happened before. The car has spent time during the winters in upstate NY, Northern VA and now western NC.

Is the upgraded intercooler fix really a true fix? I plan on keeping this car for a long time.

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
Just a tidbit of info, the intercooler bypass kit also allows turbo bits a straight path into the engine when the turbo blows.

Boatman

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 Jetta, '04 Sprinter, '14 GLK 250
Just a tidbit of info, the intercooler bypass kit also allows turbo bits a straight path into the engine when the turbo blows.

AWESOME! NOT! :rolleyes:

After talking to a local shop that specializes in VW,,, I'm going to skip any fix from VW. Hopefully this doesn't become a reoccurring issue. The way is locked up the engine when it ingested the water was pretty frightening. :eek:

ytjetta

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG
Experienced for the third time this month the classic symptoms of water ingestion, i.e., sputtering and dying when trying to start car in the morning to go to work or later in the evening to return home. All events occurred on days following very cold days. Called dealer and explained the problem and mentioned the turbo intercooler icing TSB. They have agreed to check/fix as it is covered by bumper to bumper warranty (that's what the service desk person said). They also asked me to bring a printout of said TSB.

Last edited:

Blackbug1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Nashville intercooler icing

I am just curious if I am the only person from around the Nashville Tn. area that has had a major problem with intercooler icing? If you have had problems with it, did VW pay to fix the problem and did the fix work?
Thanks for the replies

RedBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle Convertible - sold back
If you are still under warrantee then the dealer, if they can verify the issue, will install the kit. (If the dealer is worth a hill of beans that is...)

If your are out of warrantee, unless you have been complaining to the dealer and have records, they will want to charge you for the kit. You may have to go directly to VW in that case.

The kit reduces the problem but does not fix it completely. I just had my car do it again. Was able to get it started by being patient...
Condition: Sat for a few days after coming home in the rain. Temp going above and below freezing. Sweet spot for this seems to be < 45 Deg and wet combined with sitting for a period of time (to allow condensation I would assume). I have the latest kit....

Can't figure out how to change my vote in the poll as the problem took a long time before it showed up again....
Mercedes has a shutoff for the egr if the temp is below 50. My guess is that that is the correct fix as it is a moisture issue...

Last edited:

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
So has anyone bent a rod or caused damage from the hydrolocking? Mine started today and immediately died. I immediately pulled the lower IC pipe and sure enough. I doubt a rod or anything bent but I'm weighing my odds.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Added my vote to the poll. My wife's car died in traffic before Christmas. From her discription, I think it is the IC. It sat for most of te three weeks since then, so I've not done anything to it. I guess I'll run it up on the ramps over the weekend and drill through the lower hose.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm draining the line, or at least taking it apart, this weekend. I noticed last night on the way home from the Y that the check engine light popped on and the engine started running a little rougher. The Golf will probably remain in the garage until the end of Feb when I have the buyback scheduled. My wife will take over driving the JSW.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
Did I experience it??

Earlier this week it was below freezing for a couple days. Tuesday it was 17 in the morning and got up into the 30s during the day. I went to start it to go home, and it stumbled terribly and didn't start. Twice. I sat for a minute, tried one more time, and it worked. Is that what everyone is experiencing? All these years and I'd never had a problem...

Side note, can someone point me to a page of the thread with drilling instructions/explanation?

Thanks

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the link!

Can you confirm the water thing is what I experienced from my description?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It sounds like what everyone else has mentioned but I wasn't in the car when my wife had issues. I've not had any problems with my JSW. I'm guessing that even though I have a short commute (7 miles), I don't have much stop and go traffic. I can keep her at 45-50 for most of that short trip.