2006 Jetta TDI alternator replacement

VWFan915

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
Does anyone have any information on how to replace the alternator on a 2006 Jetta TDI?
Much appreciated!!

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
Other than removing the belt from underneath the car it would all be done from above. They didn't get much easier, just remove a hose and maybe the fuel filter to make some room and then it's just a couple of bolts. I have rebuilt Bosch in stock.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You can get the BRM's accessory belt off and back on from above, this is a pretty easy alternator.

Remove the charge air tube, fish it out from under the fuel and coolant hoses.

I swing the fuel filter assembly up and out of the way (no need to remove any fuel lines). Three 10mm fasteners.

Pull the tensioner up into service position and slip a pin in the hole to hold it in place.

Take the belt off... honestly cannot remember if you need to remove the tensioner to get at the alternator bolts or not on the BRM, but if you do, pretty easy, just two bolts, then the two alternator bolts, slip it up, make sure the battery is disconnected, then remove he wires and holder on the back side of the alternator.

Really easy job.

I would only replace it with a Bosch unit, and with a new INA pulley if it does not already come with one (it should, though).

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
If one needs to ask how to replace an alternator it is worth mentioning that the battery needs to be disconnected first.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yes, true. I do them "hot" because I know how to do it, and have a trick... You can also just remove the lead from the alternator at the fuse link box, too.

That way all the keep alive memory in the car stays put.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
The tensioner doesn't need to be removed. I can manage to do everything from the top on an engine very similar to BRM (we don't have BRMs on this side of the pond).
I also don't disconnect the battery since it loses some adaptations (e.g. trip mileage, clock, window adaptations). Once I undo the positive lead from the alternator, I put a cap on it and ziptie it to the plastic dipstick tube.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Did you check the clutched pulley on the alternator? If it is slipping it will cause a no charging situation.
  • Remove the serpentine belt.
  • Block the alternators internal fan with a screwdriver.
  • Try to turn the pulley both directions by hand.
It should turn freely in one direction and not turn in the other direction. if it turns in both directions or doesn't turn in either direction replace the pulley. This can be done withe the alternator still in the car.
https://www.idparts.com/alternator-pulley-a4a5mk6-p-1118.html
https://www.idparts.com/alternator-pulley-removal-tool-alhbew-p-6283.html

The other possible problem is the Brush/regulator assembly which can also be replaced in the car providing the bearings and the slip rings are O.K.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bosch-parts/voltage-regulator/0021545806~bos/