What did you do to your MKIV today?

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Yesterday, I went for a drive to Santa Barbara CA (2.5 hr drive) to pick up the front part of the center console. Came with ash tray and it was in good shape. This trip serves as a test of turbo and N75 operation on a hill climb. The car did well! Had not gone over the Grapevine (if you live in or ever lived in so Cal you know this climb) in yers because of limp mode issues. This time around, i was able to pass other vehicles and averaged 60-65 Mph going up the hill. Needless to say, I was extreme pleased with the performance so far. My first tank was about 35MPG (not great I believe) but this time, with highway mileage its on a rate of mid 40’sMPG. I think next project will be the nozzle hotswap from KermaTDI.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Had a really lucky day at the junkyard yesterday: went looking for a single DIN non-monsoon, found it, with the code.:D

I found one of the coolest things I've ever found at the JY: a freakin' DG Panzer plate & mounts. $25.:D:D (which is pretty lucky, considering this is only ~5th or 6th diesel VW I've even seen out there, in many years of scavenging).

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
That's a crazy find...I was happy finding a 5 speed diesel transmission for 99 bux...I'd have shat myself had I found that, I need 2 of everything now though...and new beetle set as well ..
Had a really lucky day at the junkyard yesterday: went looking for a single DIN non-monsoon, found it, with the code.:D

I found one of the coolest things I've ever found at the JY: a freakin' DG Panzer plate & mounts. $25.:D:D (which is pretty lucky, considering this is only ~5th or 6th diesel VW I've even seen out there, in many years of scavenging).
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Just came back from a 3,000 km trip over the Labour Day weekend....just down to Penticton and back...Car just runs like on the FIRST day!!!

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH
Little by little the TDI is coming along. Today was polishing headlights from the junk yard sale... OE hella assemblies for the LED conversion. And put on the good ole BBS wheels

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
That's a crazy find...I was happy finding a 5 speed diesel transmission for 99 bux...I'd have shat myself had I found that, I need 2 of everything now though...and new beetle set as well ..

Yeah, I was feeling pretty smug.

But, if I'm honest, I walked around that car 4 or 5 times on 2 separate trips (same day). Before I spied the plate.:D

I've only seen 1 manual TDI in all of my trips. I got all the shifter goodies off of that one.

ETA: Just FYI the DIY green hanging folder radio removal keys work great.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, they don't come around very often and I am now on a conquest to pull every single one I find...I've passed up 2 between Texas and Virginia, one was crunchy and suspected it to be the culprit but when I first started messing with TDIs I didn't look at it twice...lesson learned

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH
I've got a yard near me that has about 3 TDI alh motors and a few transmissions and such... I've got my trans (EGR) for 250ish with 140k miles on it. I may buy a motor there just to have a spare
Yeah, they don't come around very often and I am now on a conquest to pull every single one I find...I've passed up 2 between Texas and Virginia, one was crunchy and suspected it to be the culprit but when I first started messing with TDIs I didn't look at it twice...lesson learned

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I didn't see any TDI cars in the yards I checked over the weekend, and didn't even think to look for skid plates on the MK4's.

There was a full set of VW locking lug nuts, with the lug key sitting under the rear seat, which had already been flipped by the people scrounging for lost money.
Those came home with me, though I don't know that I really need to use them.

I did pull a few Jetta rear dome lights, as my new project car is an old 928 and the MK4 dome light is a significant upgrade to the stock lights.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Last Wednesday, Thursday I pulled, and disassembled the turbo on an 05 pd Jetta a customer brought in for cel that pointed to the turbo actuator (p2564). What confused me was it only ever threw the code koeo, and boost actual followed desired pretty much exactly, but whatever; being a 13 year old car a number of fasteners broke, which resulted in a new turbo being ordered, and that was todays job. The car drives well, and best of all is no longer throwing that code.
After reading a few of your posts over here I think I've seen you over on Cumminsforum ya? How long have you been a TDI owner?

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Replaced the QA seals and found the pump head leaking, hopefully I did it right and didn't drop the shim out if the stack...I was hoping to say bushings too but those are gonna have to wait. Also replacing the vacuum pump due to sporadic vacuum issues and a leaky nipple

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
And now that it's all back together, I have a flat, was test driving and heard the leak and headed home...I live on gravel and that really doesn't lend to traction so whenever I get to plug it we'll see...

Nevermind, sliced tire on a gravel road rock apparently and the pump head seal still leaks...

Last edited:

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I recently purchased a 2005 MK4 Jetta Wagon TDI 5mt Graphite Blue, in excellent shape. 125,000 miles on the odometer. The motor sounds like a sewing machine.
First thing I did was buy a leather 3-spoke GTI steering wheel from a VW mechanic friend. It was really easy to install the steering wheel and it made a huge improvement in the feel of the car, over the thin rubber steering wheel.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
I swap out my loud 10mm IP that was also giving me hesitation issues, for 11mm IP.
The car is much smoother and livelier. I can’t begin to explain the difference in drivability, wowed. [emoji16]

Bajan

marcoforehand

TDI
2005 jetta 5spd, 2013 Beetle dsg, 02 Jeeta 5spd retired after 300K+
Renewed my vows with my 2005 A4 Jetta (GLS/5spd). I purchased this car in 2009 with 90K miles on it.
I've been driving it for the past year without inspection due to check engine light (egr problem)
Rust had shown up on front passenger side fender as well and the Frost Heater I had installed in 09 had died.
Roman Golden at Automotive Consulting Services replaced the fender, took care of the egr (and added a level 1 tune), replaced two dented doors, flushed and did a complete rear brake job, put a new door lock actuator on a back door, oil and filter change and a fuel filter change.Plus installed a new Frost Heater so hitting the road early am in the winter will be easier.
Car is at 255K miles now and I am hoping to get past the 300K mile mark sometime next year. The tune is not a major change but it's added to the fun.
Thanks Roman, great job.

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
Went to replace my inner and outer tie rod ends for play and when I pulled the rack boot I found rusty gunk. Cleaned it out and found the play was in the rack not the inner tierod.

Oh well will get another used rack and put my tierods on it and rebuild my control arms with new bushings and ball joints. And since I'll be dropping the subframe might as well replace those bushings also and replace e sway bar bushings since there right there.

Then get an alignment that's been needed for awhile.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Finally fixed my fuel leak, the 3 point plug was leaking, made a tool and took 15 minutes to replace the o ring, even taking the fuel lines off.

kirktdi

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI ALH, 2013 Passat TDI SEL(retired)2017 Passat SEL
New front and rear springs, shocks, struts, control arm bushings and all new hardware. Mount kits, bellows, bump stops, etc. 151K and 17 years never changed them before so it was about time.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
It's like a brand new car... but without peaky payments...

Moosenuckle

Veteran Member
TDI
03 tdi ,Mk2 aba swap w/charger; 97 Dodge cummins 5spd
Well. Fixed a few things tonight. Found out why my A/C stop working the plug had a collision with some corrosion the ground wire was hanging on by a single strand. Well JK run tomorrow to cut off a plug off 2.0l pretty sure the plug ends are the same. Also had to replace my PS pump and pulley after The aftermarket upper intercooler pipe blew off with about 20ish psi in the tube and bent the hell out of the pulley also messed up the bearings In the pump shaft and destroyed the serp belt. All yea also rolled over 360k. Now have to Save up for timing belt kit so I can do it in the 5k.

tom2turbo

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
Wrapped up new Driver's Door switch and used Fuel Door and Trunk switches replacement. All the doors work as designed, sigh. Found a used hood in good condition and will replace when time permits.

DMan1198

TDI
02 VW Jetta
Changed thermostat, and got rid of the last of my egr components. Since I stripped the inside of one of the bolts holding the egr cooler I pulled the whole manifold, and took that opportunity to clean some more of the oil/soot mixture caked onto it with the pressure washer at work, followed by an o-ring pick, and it’s looking quite a bit better than before.

The car is now warming up as it should, and it’ll be nice to get that mileage back.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
The old antenna was missing a gasket, so I installed a new antenna base with a new gasket and stubby whip antenna.

DMan1198

TDI
02 VW Jetta
I just did that too, then installed my new plastic hood release, since I broke my last one, and the one That was on the car when I bought it was mostly chicken wire.