New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

cruiserbilly

TDI
2002 Jetta
Hello,
Just replaced my MAF and was very impressed with the increase in power. Used to be very intermittant power wise day by day. I thought to clean my old MAF sensor using MAF cleaner and gave it a good spraying. It did not work at all after that (engine code said it was open circuit). So then I picked up a new one ($99 Canadian Dollars) and was totally surprised at the renewed power. A friend told me he replaced his with a cheaper Gasser MAF and gets more power. Go figure..

I have the old failed MAF if someone wants it. Just send an address and can mail it out.

The new Bosch unit has a totally different airflow pattern than the old one. The vendor said it was an improvement by Bosch.

He also said I should NOT use aftermarket air filtering as they use oil which gets on the MAF.. (I noticed this on my old one). He said the aftermarket washable filters are ok for racing but they are MAF destroyers.... ANY other opinions?

ALso anybody know what to look for. I replaced my head temperature sensor to get the glow plugs to stay on for the correct time on startup and even with the new sensor they still only come on for a second and the car does not start unless I pull the sensor wire and let the default glow time work... ANy ideas? Is my New Sensor screwed or is there something else?

Thanks Guys

Bill

DwarfThemike

TDI
none :-(
Hey guys!

I just joined and this forum looks great. I'm currently in the market for my first TDI. For a few years I've wanted one, and since my GF wont drive in my current car anymore (for safety reasons) I might as well start shopping now.

I'm looking for something like a manual 2003 VW Golf TDI. I'm interested in modding and I've done a bit of research and it really sounds like fun.

I live in Orlando, FL and look forward to meeting more of you!

SilverDieselDemon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW 2 Door Golf 1.9L
Beetle Black Out...

Ok, So Driving home from work and my head lights, Turn signals, windshield wipers, AC and fan all stop working. My emergency and brake lights still work. I have checked all the fuses in cabin and on battery. I am unsure of how to check my relays and if all of my troubles are from a single culprit. Any help would be much appreciated. I drive a 2001 NB manual, stock except DG R.pipe..

Thanks
S.D.D.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
SilverDieselDemon said:
Ok, So Driving home from work and my head lights, Turn signals, windshield wipers, AC and fan all stop working. My emergency and brake lights still work. I have checked all the fuses in cabin and on battery. I am unsure of how to check my relays and if all of my troubles are from a single culprit. Any help would be much appreciated. I drive a 2001 NB manual, stock except DG R.pipe..
Thanks
S.D.D.
This sounds like it could be the main power relay, aka "relay 109". More problematic in the earlier TDIs, but can still fail even in the newest models.

About $10 from online vendors, probably a few dollars more at a VW dealership. Some of us carry a spare in the glovebox, as the complete failure of this very cheap relay can leave you stranded in the boondocks.

Report back if a new relay 109 does not solve your problem.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
DanG144 said:
This sounds even more like your load reduction relay or ignition key electrical module going bad.

Let me find a post and put a link here.

Bad load reduction relay or ignition key electrical connection

Dan
Could be, Dan, but the relay 109 is cheap and easy for the newest of newbies to replace. Plus if that doesn't solve his problem, then he has a spare; everyone ought to carry a spare at all times.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
TornadoRed said:
Could be, Dan, but the relay 109 is cheap and easy for the newest of newbies to replace. Plus if that doesn't solve his problem, then he has a spare; everyone ought to carry a spare at all times.
I agree it is cheap and easy, and a spare 109 relay can be handy.

But the car quits running if it is the 109 relay, doesn't it? (Still a bit groggy from working nights...) Surely if he had this symptom he would have mentioned it.

SilverDieselDemon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW 2 Door Golf 1.9L
The 109 is most likely not the problem, being that starting and operation of my NB has been perfect. But I will be picking one up this afternoon to make sure I have a spare, Now the LRR and IKEC I am waiting on the Stealer-ship to rake me over the coals when they call back, if they call back.... to let me know if they have the parts in stock. IF not I will have to pick them up online.
thank you for the help!
I will post the results once I have the parts in place.
S.D.D.

IconicBlonde

TDI
2001 GLS Jetta
So I hope I'm not reposting a question, but here it goes. I have an 01 Automatic Jetta w/ 180,000, and I am not having any problems with my transmission, but I have no idea if the transmission fluid has ever been changed. (I just bought the car a few months ago). Would it be a good idea to go ahead and have it changed or wait until it starts giving me problem signs?

Last edited:

SilverDieselDemon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW 2 Door Golf 1.9L
Beetle Black Out Is Over!!!

First I would like everyone for their help. Turns out it was the IKEC, Stealer-ship wanted $76.00 so I went to Peter at TDIParts, ended up I chose the cheaper $24.95 part. A few bucks in wire, wire shrink wrap and connectors and I am back in business. While I did have to wait a few days on parts it did give me the chance to catch up on spring car cleaning and a mod or two.. so no real loss there. :D
Thanks again,
SilverDieselDemon.

TDI
1998 PASSAT 110 automatic
central

hi,could someone help i seem to be having trouble with my central locking it some times locks on its own other times it will lock the back doors but not the front, then sometimes it will lock all the doors but not the boot then to put the top hat on it i unlock it get in and then the alarm goes of (while the engine is running) so its not effecting the emobilizer please help thanks pete

everyman

TDI
2000 New Beetle
newb questions

Hiya,

Having solved my first major headache of curing a rain leak in my newish '00 Beetle I need to move on to the next challenges. I'd appreciate some help in prioritizing.

It's a TDI, 110K miles, manual trans.

Symptoms, not the greatest MPG. I got 34 on my first 3/4 tank. A bit of that could be attributed to spirited new car driving, but not that much since I'm a fairly conservative driver, hardly ever use the brakes, shift at reasonable times etc...

Also the power band is not linear at all. It has very little power until 2K RPM, then it lights up.

Also, it smells, even warmed up, I'm having to either keep the windows up at lights and drive thru's, or I have to shut it off because it starts to reek.

From the receipts I was handed it looks like the only engine work done was glow plugs, so I'm guessing that an intake manifold cleaning is in order. The power band issue seems like it might be MAF related. Could it not also be intake related? I'm wondering if I should hold off ordering a new one until I'm dealing with less variables.

If I go ahead with the intake cleaning, are there any other "while I'm there" things that would be foolish not to do?

I'm thinking that a VAG-COM setup would probably be a good investment. I was wondering if the generic interfaces that are popping up on Ebay are bad news? ~$20 is much nicer than a couple of hundred for the mccoy but if it's not going to work or worse cause damage, then it certainly isn't worth it.

Last question, if that isn't already enough. I'm wondering how cold most people's early Beetles are? The only other major repair receipt for this car was a new AC compressor a year or so back. However my AC is anemic at best. At freeway speeds after the car has been running for 10 minutes or so, it's bearable but that's about it. I'm wondering if it's worth my while trying to bone up on the AC system to try to resolve this or whether what I have is as good as it gets. It's starting to warm up here in TX so I need to decide whether to invest the time, or to invest in lots of shorts and wife beaters.

Thanks

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
everyman said:
Hiya,

Having solved my first major headache of curing a rain leak in my newish '00 Beetle I need to move on to the next challenges. I'd appreciate some help in prioritizing.

It's a TDI, 110K miles, manual trans.
And it's a 2000 or 2001, which means it came originally with a timing belt rated for 60k miles. Without any documents showing when it was changed and what parts were replaced, this should be your top priority.

Check the "recommended mechanics" thread at the top of TDI 101, for someone in the Austin/San Antonio area. I don't think you'll have to travel all the way to Houston, but get this done ASAP.

Based on the number of minor problems you've already reported, I sure hope you got a real good deal on this NB. It sounds like there's been some neglect, so it will cost a little to bring it back up to the proper standards.

everyman

TDI
2000 New Beetle
TornadoRed said:
And it's a 2000 or 2001, which means it came originally with a timing belt rated for 60k miles. Without any documents showing when it was changed and what parts were replaced, this should be your top priority.

Check the "recommended mechanics" thread at the top of TDI 101, for someone in the Austin/San Antonio area. I don't think you'll have to travel all the way to Houston, but get this done ASAP.

Based on the number of minor problems you've already reported, I sure hope you got a real good deal on this NB. It sounds like there's been some neglect, so it will cost a little to bring it back up to the proper standards.
Sorry good call, I forgot about that one. The dealership changed it at 60K. I'm going to do it again at 120K to be on the safe side. I imagine they would have done whatever else was scheduled at that time.

It cost me $5400. It was below book but not what I'd call a steal. My shopping time was cut short because the wheels were about to fall off my last ride and I didn't feel like putting any more money or time into into it. I looked for the "right" TDI for two months, but eventually you have to just jump and pray. My only other option within a reasonable distance was an '02 with higher mileage, for $2500 more although they have since dropped it by $1K. I wish they wouldn't have said the price was firm or I would have bought that one. I need to remember for the future that firm never really means firm ;)

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
everyman said:
Sorry good call, I forgot about that one. The dealership changed it at 60K. I'm going to do it again at 120K to be on the safe side. I imagine they would have done whatever else was scheduled at that time.

It cost me $5400. It was below book but not what I'd call a steal. My shopping time was cut short because the wheels were about to fall off my last ride and I didn't feel like putting any more money or time into into it. I looked for the "right" TDI for two months, but eventually you have to just jump and pray.
Okay, that's cheap enough that you can put a couple thousand into it and still end up with a good car for a good price. Remember that the next TB change should be done by an expert, and you might as well give some business to a fellow Texan by getting the deluxe TB kit from Dieselgeek.com.

I can't tell you what to do about the intake cleaning, or whether the AC can be rejuvenated with a shot of refrigerant. Only that any TDI-related issues that you can't handle yourself should be delegated to one of the TDI experts. Unfortunately for you, Runonbeer has gone off to Alaska for six months -- I guess he spends six months in Austin and six months in the frozen north. But there's one or two other guys not that far from you... Mach1 is nearby I think, in Spicewood.

everyman

TDI
2000 New Beetle
TornadoRed said:
Unfortunately for you, Runonbeer has gone off to Alaska for six months -- I guess he spends six months in Austin and six months in the frozen north. But there's one or two other guys not that far from you... Mach1 is nearby I think, in Spicewood.
Yeah I spoke with him right before he left. I had planned on turning it over to him when he got back for the TB. I should be at about 120K at that time. What I'm debating is whether I should dig into the intake and get that taken care of now, or whether it would be easier to just wait until that time. I'm not scared of the job, I just don't like doing stuff twice. I'm not sure how much duplicate work there is between a TB job and a manifold cleaning. Lord knows I have enough other projects to deal with. I wouldn't lose sleep over not doing it right now :)

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Do the intake cleaning yourself, as soon as you can.

Then buy or borrow a VCDS and check out your MAF, you are right, you may save $100 by cleaning the intake first.

Verify that your radiator fans both come on when you turn on the AC. More details here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=242699

It also sounds as if your turbo vanes may be frozen and the control section of the turbo needs to be gone through. You will have more of an idea on this after cleaning the intake manifold. Or you could simply watch the turbo vanes move (about 1/2 inch) from car off to idle, if you do not want to wait. There is also a good test in Basic Settings (block 11, I think) for your ALH that fully cycles the turbo controls.

mauriTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, DSG
I have a basic question, which being at least somewhat capable of working on cars, i feel stupid asking it. Plus i've searched the site and found no clear instruction. How do i remove the plastic cover that covers the engine?? I feel like it's going to brake when i pull on the sides? What's the method? I just wanna take a look at where the oil and fuel filters are and be nosy :) thanks

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Mauri - it would be nice to include the car you have. Why not put it in your signature?. My 97 Passat needs to have three nuts taken off. I don't have any clue about your 2009 JSW. Others should chime, however.

DesmoTull

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI (potential)
Just wanted to say hello from Massachusetts!

I just traded my '06 GTI for a new Jetta TDI. I love it! I'm looking forward to doing a few choice mods!

I can already tell that I won't be missing the premium gas and associated MPGs from the GTI.

Cheers,

Tull

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
mauri, if it is an '09 there are four points near each corner that have rubber grommet/stalk connections. Grab the cover with both hands near a corner and give a solid upward pull. The corner should 'pop' up. Repeat at each corner. To reinstall, place the cover back on loosely, aligning the cutout for the oil cap and press down hard at each corner.

Gavin.NI

TDI
02 Jetta TDI
Just wanted to say hello from Northern Ireland!

I Have an 02 Jetta PD 100 (ATD) with some interesting mods which I'll detail in the jetta/bora section.

Cheers...

slung

TDI
2004 TDI Jetta Wagon
Source(s) for oil/oil filters

Looking for good source(s) local (eastern PA) or on-line for oil and oil filters. Anybody have any recommendations?
Thanks

honeytiff

TDI
'98 Jetta
Should I get another Jetta TDI? PLEASE HELP!!

Hi - I'd love some advice!!
I had a '98 Jetta TDI a few years ago because I wanted to drive on biodiesel. I loved the car, but I'm not sure it loved me - I had lots of mechanical problems with it - one thing after another and it seemed like it was in the shop more than out of it - some of this was not the car's fault as a rodent got in and tried to take up residence and chewed up a bunch of wiring before I got rid of it (the rodent), but lots of other things broke randomly and (for me) expensively. I am not a mechanic (nor do I plan on becoming one, but there are a couple of excellent VW mechanics locally).
I started to feel like an idiot for owning it when I kept having to have it towed and borrow friends' cars. The clincher was when I had to replace a pricey fuel injection pump right at Chistmas time when I didn't need the extra large expense (they told me that there was a warped part and that it wasn't from the biodiesel).
I ended up fixing everything and selling the car.
Since then I've been driving an old Mercedes 300D Turbo Diesel that runs like a tank and is barely ever in the shop.
Soon, though, I'm going to start commuting regularly for a few years, and would love to pass the Mercedes on to my 16-year-old and get another car. I've been really wanting another Jetta, and really love to use Biodiesel (there's a great Green Station here in town). The gas mileage seems much better, they're zippier and nicer and newer than what I've been driving - I'll also need air conditioning where I'm going and my Mercedes AC went a while ago.
I'm concerned however that, while the Jetta's diesel engine will go forever, the rest of the car may be high maintenance and falling apart like my other one. I'd like to think that my old one was just a lemon, or that '98 was not a good year, but I've been hearing lately that they may not age well and that some other people have had similar experiences to mine and that it'd be better to get something else that's better put together. If I get one, it will be a '01 -'03 sedan. I'm just not sure whether I should be getting one at all, or if it's wiser to stick with something else...
If I were willing to stick with gas, then I'd probably just get a Honda or Toyota and be done with it, but I'm commited to biodiesel. I'd love to think that the Jetta TDI would be the best choice for me, but have begun to wonder if I should be looking into getting another Mercedes, or...?
I'd love any info or advise or assistance with this decision!
Thanks!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Honeytiff, You mentioned that there are a couple good VW mechanics in town, maybe you should talk with them. Gauge their enthusiasm -- if one is fired up about TDIs, has one or wants to get one for himself, is eager to talk about them, encourages you to go ahead and get one, then that is a good sign. That person will want to learn how to care for them.

But if you can't find someone like that locally, then unfortunately you should probably look at some other vehicle. If none of the local mechanics want to work on TDIs, then they will not bother to learn about them. And you do not want to be dependent on a VW dealership -- even if your local dealership is the 1 in 20 or 1 in 50 that's not too bad.

Cappy

TDI
2006 Jetta
2006 Jetta Stutter/stumble/shudder......??

Howdy folks !
I'm new here and new to VW TDI's. My GF has a 2006 TDI Jetta and she's been driving it around Miami FLA very conservatively. Well i drove it up here to NJ and found out that ,i cant drive it like that and that every time i try and get into it (under heavy acceleration) it starts to stumble and shudder pretty bad. My thoughts are that it could be a sensor or the fuel filter. But like i said im very new to TDI's so any help is appreciated !!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hi Cappy. Start a new thread in TDI 101, with as much information as you have.

mauriTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, DSG
DesmoTull said:
Just wanted to say hello from Massachusetts!

I just traded my '06 GTI for a new Jetta TDI. I love it! I'm looking forward to doing a few choice mods!

I can already tell that I won't be missing the premium gas and associated MPGs from the GTI.

Cheers,

Tull
Hey there!! any advice or suggestions on modifications that you'll be doing would be appreciated. Starting with the least expensive first.. I have an 09 Jetta... thanks.