passat key replacement

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Don't lose it in the first place.

Keys for these cars are expensive - probably gonna have to suck it up and go to the dealer unless you know someone with VCDS who knows what they're doing. Do yourself a favor and get two - they'll usually give you a bundle price.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
As far as I know, the only option is the dealer...

With the advent of the newest immobilizer systems (I believe 2005 and newer), VCDS is not capable of programming the keys.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Before you scream out loud at the price, the modern "smart keys" for most cars are pricey, it's just a question of how much. When we thought we had lost one of the key sets for a relative's Hyundai Santa Fe we were keeping while they were deployed in the military, I discovered that it would be around $150 to replace. And this was only the old fashioned separate key and remote fob. But they key still had a chip in it......while the old-style un-chipped key for my Dodge Dakota cost $7 at the dealer.

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
I bought into the "key replacement" program, when I leased my '13 Passat. I just replaced one key last week, they charged me about $177 or so incl. tax, just for the key, then $100 to program it! I have bought replacement keys for my previous 2012 Tiguan, and only got charged $50 to program 2 new keys, the fee to program the key is dealer dependent.
But when I called to get reimbursed for the key, the lady said, "oh, they're charging a bit much for the key". I was not expecting that answer, I just thought whatever I paid, is what I'll get reimbursed for. But anyways, I paid about $277 for everything, I think she said she'll reimburse for about $235. I actually made money, lol, as I only paid $199 to buy into the key replacement. AND I get to replace any lost/broken key anytime for the remainder of the lease, of which there is a yearly reimbursment limit of $800.

But to answer your question, dealer is the best way. They'll need your VIN and the key will get cut elsewhere, for me it was cut in NJ, then mailed to the dealer.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Has anyone had the dealership do this upon delivery? Thinking this might be something I try to get to happen on Sunday.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
So I can answer my own question. I contacted the dealership late last week and asked to have a key cut/programmed and be available when I picked up my car. $200 added to the 0% @ 66 months! Nice to have a little insurance policy in the key box!

etiolate

TDI
2013 Passat SE 6sp
So I can answer my own question. I contacted the dealership late last week and asked to have a key cut/programmed and be available when I picked up my car. $200 added to the 0% @ 66 months! Nice to have a little insurance policy in the key box!
does the passat usually only come with a single key?

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
does the passat usually only come with a single key?
No, two. But my GF is OCD and "needs" to have a "spare". :) Plus, it's easier than dealing with it down the road if needed. $200 was a bargain I felt.

Last edited: