Intake Manifold A4 to A3 Retrofit?

EnrichoPalazzo

TDI
'98 Jetta TDI
I'm sick and tired of cleaning my intake manifold.

I'd like to retrofit the A4 intake manifold; and include EGR Delete (via both chip and race pipe). I've heard the A4 AHU manifold will fit the A3; but, obviously, the air intake points to the right side of the engine (A4) versus left (A3). How 'bout moving the washer fluid reservoir to the left (where the air box is); and using that space for new air intake (like a new A4 cold air intake)?

I can get a replacement Intake Manifold for 99.5+ A4 for $99. Impex wants $514 for new A3 Intake Manifold (which includes EGR). Any thoughts?

Charlie Franz, Bel Air, MD
1998 Jetta TDI 190K
1986 Golf TD (w/84 Jetta 1.6 TD motor) 250K

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
There are other options, I just yanked my mk3 tdi intake

*order a European Passat intake. I picked up a PD for $75 shipped and had a friend make me a race pipe.
*Take a Mk4 ALH and cut it and flip it. I did this on my DZSL SLC
*Take the MK3 intake and cut the EGR off and then cut the inlet to the EGR off and weld it to the intake.

Pics we all love pics
Here is the Mk4 that I had cut and flipped:

The European PD intake:

All Cleaned up:

Mk3 Manifold with the EGR deleted:

cscmc1

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
I bought mine off Craigslist -- someone just cut the pipe off at the EGR and welded some galvanized pipe in its place. Been working great for a couple of years now!

EnrichoPalazzo

TDI
'98 Jetta TDI
G60ing, Thank you very much for your quick reply. Sorry, I was off a couple of days. The PICs are Excellent. Is that a Corrado converted to TDI?

That definitely changes my ideas about "retrofitting". Are you saying the European Passat intake bolts on and points left in an A3 Jetta w/o issue?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
fits like a glove on the Mk3 engine:

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Fits great in the B4 also. TDIParts sells the PD racepipe. Just gotta trim the length to let the factory hose connect up.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I picked a couple up from german ebay.

Last edited:

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
If cleaning your intake is the only reason you want to change the manifold, why not just get block off plates for the EGR system and delete the EGR cooler?

Beyond that, the PD intake is a good performance upgrade. It flows better. Block off plates are much cheaper, though ;)

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Matt-98AHU said:
If cleaning your intake is the only reason you want to change the manifold, why not just get block off plates for the EGR system and delete the EGR cooler?

Beyond that, the PD intake is a good performance upgrade. It flows better. Block off plates are much cheaper, though ;)
exactly. $2 solution to the problem