RSS

two570

TDI
Golf GL, 2004, Indigo Blue
I think RSS feeds would be a great feature to add to the site. I would certainly use and love the ability to watch my favorite threads, forums, or even searchs via a constantly updated RSS feed and then be able to click through to only what interests me.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Two, for the benefit of the others here, can you provide a brief (Reader's Digest version) description of RSS and how it works?

Thanks and welcome to Fred's.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
Funny, DD, I just graduated college in May, and my Senior Seminar( basically a thesis type presentation) was infact on RSS and how it is an emerging technology. I had to go through the whole history and development of What RSS is, but it is basically, if you didn't know, a subscription based newsletter that you( the subsciber) gets from an information source( this case TDIClub.com) in a pull type information. great idea really, until the advertisers( thats me too
) get to stain the goodness of RSS. as it is so entirely simple(RSS- Real Simple Syndication)that there is only data, no room for viruses, spam etc...
Man and who said college was a waste of time, I am speading the information technology to the diesel geeks

Eric B.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
Ah, Fred... always ahead of the curve!

Props to you!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
One of my browsers supports RSS...haven't been able to sort out what it does.

thx.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
take a few minutes, download an RSS program, I used Pluck for my research. once you do it, you will see what it is. I think Pluck.com has a good tutorial(they used to) that you will get in about 2 min. it is a pretty straightforward thing, but since it is an internet only technology, there is not much publicity to spread its usefulness or like you, WHAT it is. (there is no spoon)

hope this helps.

Eric B.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Eric, here's a screenshot from my browser. It supposedly can handle RSS:

I normally keep all the options deselected. Do i need another program?

Thx.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
If your browser has those options, you should not need another program. What browser are you using...? There is likely a menu option (possibly under a "Tools" or "View" title) to "Read News" or similar, which would open a special tab in your browser that will list your RSS feeds.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Fitzski, it's a tabbed (IE) browser shell called Maxthon.