Ok time to fix this Bluetooth nonsense...

PlaneJob

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Yes, my car came with the INCORRECT manual supplement for the 9W3 (it was just a supplement). The dealership is woefully unaware of the BT options on their cars.

TO remedy this, I bought a 1z0 035 729 d module from www*carsystems*pl on ebay for a few hundred bucks... LOVE IT. It is so hot. If you guys knew what you were missing you would just go get one and be done with it.

shipping from Poland took 3 days to Missouri, US !!!

tiguando

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan (Hopefully)
What's the point of having hands-free call receiving but not hands-free calling? Many states have banned cellphone use except hands-free kits. Both Bluetooth modules cost the same so what's the point? Look up the part numbers for yourself:

9W2 (1K8035730C)
9W3 (1Z0035729C)

Another problem is that even though the Jetta SEL and TDI are both listed as having "Bluetooth Hands-Free Calling with Voice Control" some VW dealers checked their stock on the lot to find 9W2 installed.

Last edited:

tiguando

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan (Hopefully)
PlaneJob said:
Yes, my car came with the INCORRECT manual supplement for the 9W3 (it was just a supplement). The dealership is woefully unaware of the BT options on their cars.
TO remedy this, I bought a 1z0 035 729 d module from www*carsystems*pl on ebay for a few hundred bucks... LOVE IT. It is so hot. If you guys knew what you were missing you would just go get one and be done with it.
shipping from Poland took 3 days to Missouri, US !!!
That's where I got mine. So much better than 9W2 though maybe not if you use Bluetooth Audio streaming. Why they don't just make a single unified version for all car models I do not know. Clearly cost is not the issue.

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
tiguando said:
What's the point of having hands-free call receiving but not hands-free calling? Many states have banned cellphone use except hands-free kits. Both Bluetooth modules cost the same so what's the point? Look up the part numbers for yourself:

9W2 (1K8035730C)
9W3 (1Z0035729C)

Another problem is that even though the Jetta SEL and TDI are both listed as having "Bluetooth Hands-Free Calling with Voice Control" some VW dealers checked their stock on the lot to find 9W2 installed.
the new 9W7 Modules (VW PN- 7P6035730C) have both Bluetooth Streaming Audio and Hands free calling.

Neat thing about hands free calling, when my iPhone screen shot craps, I could still use it for the 2 days before until my replacement arrived. I was using the Bluetooth in my car and dialing with the headunit. The problem was I was stuck in the car.

PlaneJob said:

Shipping from Poland took 3 days to Missouri, US !!!
got my 9W3 from the same seller, with shipping time less than a week for parcel mail.
(use caution the seller is in Poland and uses a mix of languages if you email him, I got an email reply with Polish, German, and Spanish mixed.)

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
tiguando said:

9W2 (1K8035730C)
9W3 (1Z0035729C)

An neither module is as safe as not using phone at all, right? All these laws are pretty hypocritical, because it's been proven that even hands free is only little safer as you do still are having a conversation and that's what you are focusing on, not the driving ....

I'll occasionally take a call, but have no intention to initiate a call while behind the wheel, unless it's a life and death matter ....

Last edited:

Jeeprage

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI 6m
mxs said:
An neither module is as safe as not using phone at all, right? All these laws are pretty hypocritical, because it's been proven that even hands free is only little safer as you do still are having a conversation and that's what you are focusing on, not the driving ....

I'll occasionally take a call, but have no intention to initiate a call while behind the wheel, unless it's a life and death matter ....
So do you not talk to passengers as well?

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Is there any physical difference between the units, or is it just firmware? i.e. could a VW dealer flash the 9W2 unit up to 9W3?

rabinabo

TDI
2010 4 door Golf TDI manual
I just upgraded to 9W3, and there are different physical components. You have to swap out the box under the passenger seat, and the overhead bluetooth controls no longer work. 9W2 has an internal antenna, while the 9W3 has a small antenna sticking out.

Thunderstruck said:
Is there any physical difference between the units, or is it just firmware? i.e. could a VW dealer flash the 9W2 unit up to 9W3?

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
As long as the connectors are the same that sounds doable. I was worried there might be rewiring or a new mike involved. I don't care about the loss of the overhead light and control, I never use it anyway. I just want to unplug the old one, plug the new one in, recode and be done with it. Now to hope 9W7 is as easy to do.

RodsterinFL

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen (white/corn/NAV/goal 17"/DSG/iPod/
Greetings Thunderstruck

I am new here and just bought a new Sportwagen a week ago. I am enjoying the car, however;

The bluetooth issue is significant in that it is listed on the VW site as a standard key feature of the TDI trim level of the Sportwagen, the site videos under new owner show the use in the jetta with the optional NAV unit. I found out after the fact that the car does not have the features listed where I carefully studied the feature set under build your own /compare trim levels. The trim levels show the Jetta Sportwagen SE as having "call receiving" and the TDI as having "voice controlled" also, since the videos of the cars list the various models and there is not one specific to the wagen, it would be logical to watch the Jetta video for the Jetta wagen. When I contacted the VWOA I was read a legal disclaimer referring to products and programs may be changed. Now, after spending $1799 for a NAV unit supposed to have "voice controlled" not just call receiving as the SE model states with telephany, I find that I do not have it. It is like buying something that the package says one thing, then you find it does not do it. In this case though it is a big ticket item and the company just says, so what.

Last edited:

mojo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI, 6M, United Gray; 2014 Jetta TDI, 6M, Tornado Red
Conversation with passengers is dramatically different because the passengers are part of the same environment. Numerous studies have shown this -- cell phone conversations are extremely distracting no matter if they're hands-free or not. There are certainly many other distractions in the vehicle (food, stereo, etc.) but none are in the same duration as a phone call nor as cognitively taxing. The only reason hands-free is legal is due to the lobbying efforts of the cellular companies.

That said, the reality is that people will use their phones in the car, so at least with hands-free calls, if/when you notice a conflict both hands are available.

nofossil

TDI
2010 JSW
Multiple topics going on here....

Looking at the sales brochure, it clearly says that (in their words) "Bluetooth hands-free calling system" is standard on the TDI SportWagen. Given that, I'd expect them to provide something that offers hands-free calling. It's pretty poor form to deliver a product that clearly does not perform as advertised. I'd like to see an official VWOA statement on this issue.

Other topic: any distraction can be a problem, particularly in busy or unfamiliar situations. There's a whole continuum of possible distractions, from excessive noise to texting (or personal grooming). At the end of the day, I think it HAS to be the driver who is responsible for managing distractions based on the situation. It's fair to draw some hard boundaries - graduated licenses for new drivers help to manage distractions from passengers, and I think most would agree that texting while driving can never be adequately safe.

Between the extremes, I'd say that there are plenty of situations where some degree of distraction is manageable, including fiddling with the radio and carrying on conversations. Hands-free calling allows cell conversations without the need to take your eyes off the road. In rural Vermont, that's a manageble distraction level in many cases. Fiddling with the phone is a bigger risk.