Indianapolis TDI'ers UNITE!

Would a GTG June 7th or 8th work for everyone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 5 sp., 2003, Silver/Grey Int.
DCELL said:
Convert- Setting posts is easy. if you have the equipment and the manpower. I can show you all the tricks (or I can just help you do it.) The real trick is in straightening the walls after the trusses are set.
DCELL:

Will either a backhoe/loader or an excavator with a 32' dig depth work? Both will be on site..... How many warm bodies will I need?

DogTrainingTDI

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
All

A first Meet and Greet would be great. Just about anywhere in the Indianapolis area would work for me. Days and times would be my only concern.

Convert

What area are you building in? We need more TDI shops around.

Thanks

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
DogTrainingTDI said:
Convert

What area are you building in? We need more TDI shops around.
TDI_Convert is just west of Plymouth off US 30 - not exactly local to the Indy area and actually handier for Chicagoland distance-wise.

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
I drove down to the Boat, Sport & RV show last Sunday morning - right around 2 hours from door to door. Like CoolWht said, just West of Plymouth - 12 miles actually, on US 30, then approx. 2 miles North. Between Rt. 23 and 1100 E in Starke County on 600 North - mailing addy is Grovertown. A bit shy of 2 miles South of the Western end of Koontz Lake.

I have a meeting with the truss builder on Monday. DCELL, I also have access to a post hole digger mounted on a Bobcat (well, ASV actually). 12" and 18" dia is what he has, but I'm sure that I can rent a different size if needed.

I also just figured out how much dirt I have to dig from the pond - 16,500 cu. yds.:eek: At least I have access to a pump to drain the pond - it's got a 16" discharge. Now to figure out a way to keep the fish out of it!

It's going to be a busy year!:D

DogTraining TDI: It's not a shop, I finally have the funds accumulated to build the garage that I've wanted, but that's not to say that it won't be outfitted like a shop!;)

What kind of training?

Last edited:

DogTrainingTDI

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Convert

I do Family Dog Training. I mainly work with families and new pet parents. I do both Private and group classes.

About the Garage, sorry (for me) to here it will not be closer to Indy.:D

But, what about a small GTG at your place once it gets built?;)

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
DogTrainingTDI said:
But, what about a small GTG at your place once it gets built?;)
Small, big, who cares? But definately!!!! :D I've got a couple of Field Bred Springers, and used to trial one of them.

I should have a set of plans by the 15th of the month, and then the planning really starts!

brothersnag

TDI
2001.5 NB
Well I was sorta called out by DCell so I will post something. My self I don't see the point of driving 2hrs for dinner and not turn wrenches or learn some ins and outs about Vag-Com.
$ has been tight lately but I did make my last car payment. U can mod a lot for $300 a month LOL.
Someone already asked so I will tell everyone, I live around 86th and Collage

DogTrainingTDI

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Ok, someone put this thread out there about getting a Indy group going, but it kind of fizzled.

Indy and surrounding TDI'ers are we still intrested in a meet and greet?

Let's see if we can't get this going.

Please post back.

brothersnag

TDI
2001.5 NB
IMHO a ideal place would be on the NW side of Indy at a place that has WI-FI on a day later in the week Wednesday-Saturday sometime this month
My reasons its proactive, info is :D to have whene U do this :confused: and the area of around 69/465 is instant road rage:mad:

DogTrainingTDI

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I don't see a problem for the NW side of Indy. Wenesday, Friday or Saturday could work I can't do Thursdays. A 7:00 or 7:30 meet time at a decent resturant in the area should suffice.

Thought from the other Indy people?

DogTrainingTDI

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
VW 505.01 Spec oil Where to buy Local

I was just wondering where all the Indy TDI'ers are getting thier oil? I would like to find it local if I could to the Indy area.

BTW: Still waiting to hear about a meet to great from the Indy TDI'ers.

Thanks
Jesse

HAL9000

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver '01 Jetta GLS
Man, I haven't check the boards for a while. It's nice to see some other Midwest TDI brothers out there.

I'd love to come to a GTG. I work evenings so weekdays are out for me.

Dog, you're right down the road from Dreyer & Reinbold (@ US 31 & Apryl). They've always treated me well and have competitive prices on PD oils.

Convert, is that fertilizer plant still running in Plymouth? That place is/was bad news! Don't drive past it with your mouth open! :eek:

HAL9000

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver '01 Jetta GLS
BTW, I love the co-op in Noblesville! I haven't been up there in a month or so. Anyone know what they're charging per gallon these days? I wish we had something like that on the south side.

DogTrainingTDI

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Hal
Thanks for the info, I bought my 06 Jetta there. I was thinking the price they wanted was high on oil, I will have to check with them again.

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
Hal9000:

Nope the fertilizer plant shut down a couple of years ago.. "it was bad" doesn't do it justice!!!!!:D The buildings are still there, but the smell is gone, thankfully.

MicroRacer

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking
I would also be interested in an Indy GTG. I'm from Reelsville, 45 miles west of Indy. Please email when plans this gets arranged.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
HAL- the b-20 is about 4.20/gal. at least it was when I filled up a couple days ago.

HAL9000

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver '01 Jetta GLS
DCELL said:
HAL- the b-20 is about 4.20/gal. at least it was when I filled up a couple days ago.
Damn! That's more than Speedway, and they seem to be the highest around. At least at the co-op it's high cetane fuel with good bio. I'll probably swing up Thursday night after work and fill up.

Thanks D!

HAL9000

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver '01 Jetta GLS
TDI_Convert said:
Nope the fertilizer plant shut down a couple of years ago.. "it was bad" doesn't do it justice!!!!!:D The buildings are still there, but the smell is gone, thankfully.
That's good! I don't know how people could live around that. I'd drive past there on a hot summer day and I'd swear I could taste it for miles, it was that thick! :eek:

Last edited:

HAL9000

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver '01 Jetta GLS
DogTrainingTDI said:
Thanks for the info, I bought my 06 Jetta there. I was thinking the price they wanted was high on oil, I will have to check with them again.
Sure thing! We've purchased several VWs from them. I'd buy the oil for my wife's '04 Jetta from them and I don't think I ever paid more than $6.25 per liter. I think that's pretty much in line with most places. She sold her PD a few months ago so I probably haven't priced any of their oil for about six months.

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
DCELL said:
I'm looking into buying syndiesel (synthetic diesel, 63 cetane).
The 55 gallon drum is $225 ($4.09/gallon, about the same as B20) EXCEPT
the freight charge is probably a killer - particularly, shipping to a residence.
Wish I had a business and loading dock! Will try and call tomorrow
to get a quote on freight. Was doing this today but got side-tracked.
I imagine the price per gallon will (likely) double once freight is
factored in.

http://www.hiperfuels.com/catalog.aspx?Merchant=highfuelsn&DeptID=81049

I wish the Co-op would buy some syndiesel by the tanker!

Cheers,

Lonnie

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
FYI: Good posts on Fuel & Lubes regarding SynDiesel.

DBW has a good idea for shipping SynDiesel drums.

Would Indy folks be game to setting up a GB to get
a pallet (or two or three) of 55-gallon drums shipped to
Indy?

To me, the real problem is getting the stuff home -- let's see:
I could drive the Deere tractor (with the loader attached) over to
...nope! No tractors allowed on I-465, etc. Don't have a trailer.

Could always rent a cargo van....

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Lonnie

DogTrainingTDI

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
HAL9000 said:
Sure thing! We've purchased several VWs from them. I'd buy the oil for my wife's '04 Jetta from them and I don't think I ever paid more than $6.25 per liter. I think that's pretty much in line with most places. She sold her PD a few months ago so I probably haven't priced any of their oil for about six months.
Wow, I will have to call them and ask that is a lot lower then I was thinking.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
microracer- I would be interested in talking to you about making bio. I know of another nearby also (vegbug) he's been experimenting in small batches. Maybe I just need to step up and start organizing something. It sounds like there are lots of us that want to GTG, but nobody wants to organize!

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
All right, everyone throw in 2 cents worth of what days might work, let's see if there is any kind of consensus here... Personally, any night of the week is cool with me, and Saturday or Sunday afternoons. Suggestions for things to do? Places to go? BBQ in a park somewhere? You tell me!

DogTrainingTDI

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Dcell

I have ask this same question, I was not getting any response. I would say a first meeting we do a Meet and greet. I would think a resturant somewhere central to everyone.

My shcedule looks like this at the moment Wed. and Fri. nights after 7pm and Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

Mirco- I would love to hear more about BioD, a buddy and me were going to do the whole BioD thing but it fell thru, let's hope we can get some more people to chime in.

Come on Indy TDI'ers let's get this thing rolling.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
The only way to get GTG's going (dinner or working ones) is for someone to pick a date along with a time/location that hopefully works for most local people. For the Michiana dinner GTG's I organize I went with second Monday of each month at 6:30pm as that has least conflict with other activities for all of us. Personally I'd like an earlier start time but most attendees want 6:30pm so I go with the flow there. So DCELL or whoever else wants to get Indy area TDI'ers together pick a date/time/location to get things started. You can always adjust things to suit the majority - the Michiana GTG's were originally along the Grape/Main shopping corridor but that was out of the way for most attendees so we now either meet on south side of South Bend or in Plymouth which is more central.

I am not anti-Indy area but as nothing seems to happen down there GTG-wise have no reason I come down thus far. :( I actually find it strange there is a lack of TDI GTG's around Indy as there are far more TDI'ers down there then in the Michiana (South Bend) area going by posts I see on the forums! I wish you guys luck on getting at least a dinner GTG going which hopefully leads to working GTG's. Please follow thru with this so I can make a trip south for a change! ;)