DeoxIT D5

WDM

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Mk IV Wagon/2005/Reflex Silver
I just bought some to treat my GP harness as a bit of preventative maintenance and to hopefully avoid CELs (had one for two days) in the future.

Question is can I use this stuff on any and all electrical connections, plugs, etc. inside the engine compartment and otherwise without it being detrimental or are there places one shouldn't spray it?

Thanks!

WDM

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Mk IV Wagon/2005/Reflex Silver
I can only assume this is a stupid question and the lack of responses indicate its safe for any/all electrical connections. Silence is golden, eh..?

Josh_Heide

TDI
2003 Golf
It's good stuff. I'm a radio tech and use it all the time. It kept the radios going in almost all of the County fire engines at one time.

Another good product, especially where there is a lot of moisture is CorrosionX. It can be had from marine suppliers. Good for guns, also.

Josh

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
OK. I have been looking around at this stuff and have found a 5% solution and a 100% solution. Is the 5% enough to do the job well or will a person most likely be reapplying to get all of the gunk off. What I am thinking of is a connector I saw on a tractor that was partly green with corrosion. would one application of the 5% take care of all of it, or would I need multiple applications? If I would need multiple applications in somehting like that, it may be better to get the unconcentrated stuff.

But then again, it may be something that I would mostly use on connectors just to be sure they are not a problem with the occasional serious corrosion cleaner in which case the 5% would seem to be more economical.

Any thoughts from the folks that have used this?

Any thoughts from anyone related to the proper use of deoxit?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Where to get it?
I saw some that I assume was 100% at Radio Smack last night. $10 for a tube about the size of two AA batteries. Prices vary widely though. Online I saw a can of D5 for $16.95 and for $9.95 at a different site.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Where to get it?
I saw some that I assume was 100% at Radio Smack last night. $10 for a tube about the size of two AA batteries. Prices vary widely though. Online I saw a can of D5 for $16.95 and for $9.95 at a different site.
Thanks,

I'll run a check it out. Do a lot of GP replacment for people.

turbinia2

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, baltic green
Is the Radio Shack "contact cleaner" product any good? It's their own brand in a generic-looking spray can, with a brush on the cap. Small can is apx $10.99. The only Deoxit they have is the pen applicator.

jasonTDI

TDI
Go to a different RS. they sell the deoxit in a combo spray bottle for $14.99. Got some 3 days ago.

jasonTDI

TDI
I THINK they were about 7ml. Not real big, but you need VERY little to do the job. The pen is 10ml IIRC.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. I have come to trust your opinion, so I will use that a guage to what I see in RS next time I stop in.

jasonTDI

TDI
Appreciate that!

Did a nice job on making the laptop connections nice and shiny. Got a new Hex-Com + CAN cable this morning. Had to make sure everything was tip-top.

SootFoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold
TorontoSteve said:
Stabilant 22 is also a great product (www.stabilant.com).
Stabilant 22A is the VW approved stuff, but its expensive as all h^ll. $67.99 for a little small bottle of it at Advance Auto Parts.

Is there any objective testing to show how the less expensive DeoxIt and DeoxIt Gold compare to Stabilant?

SootFoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold
whitedog said:
How big were those bottles?
I bought the two bottle combo pack at Radio Shack the other day, $14.99.

The bottles are pressurized spray bottles with the small red tube you can attach to the spray nozzle.

They are each marked as "net weight 14g"