maybe sell my 96 passat tdi

larrydc

TDI
96 Passat stationwagon
I collided with a wild hog and seriously damaged my bumper and broke the radiator. My body man said it wouldn't cost an awful lot to fix it, but I think I would rather sell it. it has about 315,000 miles. Seems to run good. Anyone interested? Frame doesn't seem to be damaged. It's a station wagon. Any suggestions?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
oh no, sorry to hear about your accident.

Parts are probably out there but not as easy to find in the used market as before. I wouldn't think it would be much if it's just bumper / radiator support etc. New radiator isn't an awful lot for these, AC condensor too.

I'm more inclined to spend on what I know vs something unknown, especially with the mpg and hauling capacity of the wagons

Steve

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
Fix it! Trust me, you won't find anything as comfortable with the range and cargo capacity as the B4V that doesn't have to be smogged every 2 years and has reasonable DMV registration, not to mention insurance rates. You've got another solid 5 years at least of use left in it.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
If you have the option I'd fix it, I'm becoming less impressed with the new stuff, especially at the prices they've been selling new vehicles for.

There are some especially bad engines out there too, particularly from GM.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I'll stick with what I have. Moving to anything newer might give you a few years of trouble free service but I would bet dollars to donuts that for long term ownership the new cars aren't worth the time and effort.

I would hate to have to diagnose and repair some of the problems on the new cars.

As for GM problem engines, anything FFV with the VVT appears to be junk. And to make matters worse it costs a butt load of money to fix.

Steve

larrydc

TDI
96 Passat stationwagon
Thank you everyone for your comments. The only negatives I have for this car is the door handles and the awfully noisy rattles inside the rear of the car. I have tried different new handles and the one that worked the best was make in Taiwan. But now I started having trouble with that. Never had trouble opening doors from inside, but I am concerned if someone needed to get into the car to save my life and they didn't know the secret to making the door open, it wouldn't open. I can solve the problem with noise by turning off my hearing aid.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Thank you everyone for your comments. The only negatives I have for this car is the door handles and the awfully noisy rattles inside the rear of the car. I have tried different new handles and the one that worked the best was make in Taiwan. But now I started having trouble with that. Never had trouble opening doors from inside, but I am concerned if someone needed to get into the car to save my life and they didn't know the secret to making the door open, it wouldn't open. I can solve the problem with noise by turning off my hearing aid.
I understand your frustration with the door handles, but that's really a setup and install problem.

The handles need to be installed so that they actuate the latch 100%, the finger 'tip' can be adjusted so that it contacts the latch at the earliest possible moment instead of the point when the handle is over half way through it's motion. I have seen gaps of at least 1/2" between the finger and the latch mechanism and that's a recipe for poor performance. In these situations it's hit or miss as to whether the latch will release or not.

The second problem is the cleanliness of the latch and lubrication. The latches tend to destroy the B4 door handles because the insides are gummy and don't want to move as easily. It's important to clean and lubricate the latches occasionally to make sure they aren't taxing the handle too much.

I'm still of the opinion that it's better to invest in what you know versus what you don't know, and you know the car you have despite the fact that it's been damaged somewhat.

At least your shop seems to want to work on it...that's a good start IMO.

Steve

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The door handles are pretty easy to fix, I have a few writeups on here about them. They can wear out, in which case there isn't a lot you can do, but even the Chinese ones can last years before they start having problems. Most of the time it's a simple alignment or adjustment issue with the door handles.