To rebuild or replace? 1.9L TDI

draco76

Veteran Member
TDI
99 NB(sold), 03 NB(sold), 100% bug free :) 99.5 4d Golf, 2004 GL Wagon
I'm going to be buying an 03 TDI beetle that overheated and was told engine bad. I can get a local engine for $1100 but its got like 180k miles on it. Anyone know where I can get a rebuild kit for this engine? I'd rather spend a little extra and get engine rebuilt but I can't find a kit.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
most just swap the engine with a used 1. If you want to splurge, there are a bunch of vendors who will happily sell you a new 1.

The problem with rebuilding *any* overheated engine is that you don't know the extent of the damage. If you're lucky, it's only the head gasket, but it could also be a cracked head or worse.... it's a can of worms!!!

draco76

Veteran Member
TDI
I know someone who can rebuild the engine for me I just would need a kit with bearings, rings, sleaves etc. I can send the head to a machine shop or just order a rebuilt one. I just don't know a good vw parts site.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
draco76 said:
I just don't know a good vw parts site.
www.tdiparts.com
www.boraparts.com
www.metalmanparts.com
www.worldimpex.com
www.1stvwparts.com

...among others which are escaping me at the moment. User Franko6 is also an excellent resource and can get you any engine parts you need. Send the head to him and he will go through it or exchange it for one of his rebuilt heads. His work is top-notch, prices are very fair, advice is free and he knows what he is doing. Every head that leaves his shop is perfect. Don't go the "local machine shop" route, too much to go wrong with inexperience. I went that route and paid the price. Frank fixed me up right though and my car runs great. No website, but payment is easy via Paypal or by sending him a cashier's check.

Frank's VW TDI's, LLC
1007 Olive St.
Lockwood, MO 65682
Fax or Ph: 417-232-4634

But personally, I would jump on that used engine. Throw in a cam and set of lifters (very reasonable) and a new timing belt kit and that engine will be ready to go for another 200k miles or more.

Last edited:

draco76

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks whats he charge for the head job, or exchange. I guess I can just ask him

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
I think for the head alone it is in the $700 range, but you would have to contact him for current pricing. He's just a phone call away.

You will find no cheaper place for rebuild or reassembly parts, Frank is the man and has everything you need.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
TDICADDGUY said:
I think for the head alone it is in the $700 range, but you would have to contact him for current pricing. He's just a phone call away.

You will find no cheaper place for rebuild or reassembly parts, Frank is the man and has everything you need.
I just sent a head to him yesterday. I bought a project car w/TB broken, so there is some head "damage". Mine is going to run more than $700, but from all accounts it will be like new.
Head bebuilt, complete install parts/gaskets, new nozzles installed/balanced, TB kit: estimate $1400. Great guy.

If the history on that used engine is known, thats the way to go, for that $$. IMHO

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
before you rebuild you should assess the damage to the engine. This will require time and money, but will save you time and money in the long run. There is no rebuild kit that will cover everything

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
If I ever buy a salvage yard engine, the first thing I do is ask for the return policy. "No Refunds" means "NO DEAL!". Then I take the head off and inspect. If the cylinder walls don't look good, I return it and save the time installing a bad engine. 180k is not particularly junk, but a lot of bad can happen in those miles.

Pulling the engine is a bear... not much time is lost doing some inspection. There are two reasonable approaches. Like I said, pull the head and look at the cylinder walls. If they are good, check the #1 rod and main bearings. The bolts on the rods and mains are not reusable (torque to yield), but if there is no overheating of the bearings, the only problem you have is a blown head gasket. Fix the head. It takes a rather severe situation for these blocks to be damaged in an overheat situation.

The average 'overheated' head is usually less expensive to rebuild because you usually don't have bad valves. As long as the cam journals are good, it's very straighforward.

I have comprehensive rebuild kits, which I can tailor to your needs. I have every nut, bolt, screw and washer, timing belt kits, pistons, rings, blocks, oil pans... a one-stop shop.

That includes matching bent rods for weight and length, balancing rotating mass, long-block and short block assembly and machining services. And of course, cylinder head work.

I also handle injector service. Flow-rating nozzles in matched sets makes improved performance.

Last edited:

HugoStiglitz

TDI
1998 mk3
does anyone sell a overhaul kit?? i have a 97 tdi runs fine but i wanted to ovehaul it while the getting is good/ it has almost 400k

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
autohausaz.com is a good place to shop!

Kit? Well, just sit down, make a list of what you want to replace! Then order those parts!