Replacing the DMF in a DSG

gquenstedt

Veteran Member
TDI
'06, '03 x 2, '00
Can anyone confirm if it is possible to remove the DSG without removing the control arm and without having to get an alignment?

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Nope...need to remove them. It's tight enough with them removed!

I suggest you buy the stretch bolts needed for the subframe AND the control arm!

Tony

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Can't thank you guys enough for the detailed DYI steps, pics and follow-up regarding tools, one-time use items, etc. I suspect this will end up on my To Do list this year.

Am I correct in assuming this isn't that much more difficult than a TB job (with exception to alignment shop visit)? Seems to be one of the few jobs where a second pair of hands recommended for a weekend wrencher, such as myself.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It more comparable to a clutch replacement. The trans has to come out enough to get at the flywheel.

Tony

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
gquenstedt said:
Can anyone confirm if it is possible to remove the DSG without removing the control arm and without having to get an alignment?
You do not need to remove the control arm or drop the subframe to replace the DMF for a DSG. You have enough room to get at the DMF bolts with the trans shifted forward and to the left with a tranny jack once it's seperated from the spline thus not having to have an alignment performed. In other words, the trans does not need to be completely removed to do the job. You just need to create enough room to get at the DMF and BINGO!. 4 hours will be plenty with the right tools and prior experience. Of course this all changes if you are doing this on jack stands as opposed to a lift. We have done several so far and it's really not that bad at all. Later!

Mach1

TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Harv, you let the secret out, you are right you dont have to pull the suspension, just throw the engine around...

Its tight, but you can do it on a lift, Now jack stands are a little different...

Yes, the job can be done in 4 hours if you have done at least 3 of them. Then you know exactly how to do them and have a lift, and a trans jack.

I agree, not too bad of a job..The TTY's are rediculous...

lxturbo

TDI
06 jetta
I just started one of these at work I had it out in about 2.5-3 hours (lift) . Does anyone know where to find torque specs I have been looking but have found none .Also which bolts are torque to yeild and how many folks are actually replacing them.

Last edited:

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TTY bolts are usually on the motor & transmission mounts, and the suspension. They are used on the mounts to allow the engine/trans to break away in the event of an accident.

Which torque values are you looking for?

Tony

lxturbo

TDI
06 jetta
TonyJetta said:
TTY bolts are usually on the motor & transmission mounts, and the suspension. They are used on the mounts to allow the engine/trans to break away in the event of an accident.

Which torque values are you looking for?

Tony
DMF to crank is the only one I would think would be real super important.:D

I wonder how many people replace the TTY bolts or just reuse them ?

Mach1

TDI
Service manual does wonders for torque specs and TTY fasteners to replace.

Most of the mechanics and dealers reuse the TTY's...

The gurus and techs(I am such) understand the importance and replace them..

3 hours to get it out is not bad for your first time..Did you drop the A-arm?

lxturbo

TDI
06 jetta
Mach1 said:
Service manual does wonders for torque specs and TTY fasteners to replace.

Most of the mechanics and dealers reuse the TTY's...

The gurus and techs(I am such) understand the importance and replace them..

3 hours to get it out is not bad for your first time..Did you drop the A-arm?
Yes sir I unbolted the lower BJ and removed the arm and the aluminum crossmember. I am simply amazed at this car I will be getting one in the future. I am going in this morning to dig around alittle more going to check timing belt and other components. I am going to sell the job with new bolts ,I just hope my boss owner agrees with me on the TTY bolts and pushes for the customer to replace them. TTY replacement is kinda out of my hands all I can do is make the recommendation and show them what I need to replace. I want to do things right but we know how that works sometimes.
I want the liability part off my shoulders so to me replacement of the tty bolts esp. chassis parts is a major deal.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
lxturbo said:
TTY replacement is kinda out of my hands all I can do is make the recommendation and show them what I need to replace. I want to do things right but we know how that works sometimes.
Show them the factory manual; These show the TTY bolts are 'required replacement'. Also ETKA should show them as required replacement.

Tony

jonathantingley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta w/DSG,2002 Jetta w/ 01m,99 Jetta
Can somebody tell me how the transmission connects to the flywheel? I can't really tell from the pictures.
Thank you.

MostroDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Gasser VR6; (Sold and missed) 09 JSW DSG Pano Blue Graphite Build Date 05/09
jonathantingley said:
Can somebody tell me how the transmission connects to the flywheel? I can't really tell from the pictures.
Thank you.
Looks like the normal affair. A splined shaft (not visible) protrudes from the transmission and mates with the splined center of the flywheel, visible in the transmission in a couple of the earliest photos.

The transmission is then bolted to the engine block.

jonathantingley

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah i was thinking something like that, just wanted to make sure before i start ripping mine apart.

Would all dsg Flywheels be the same? or are they different throughout the model years?

lxturbo

TDI
06 jetta
jonathantingley said:
Yeah i was thinking something like that, just wanted to make sure before i start ripping mine apart.

Would all dsg Flywheels be the same? or are they different throughout the model years?
Don't be intimadated ,I was but after digging around on this site I was like game on !

Mach1

TDI
Lx, you say you pulled the crossmember...not good..that will mess up the alignment big time..its bad enough to pull the Lower arm..Sorry to say so..

Jonothan...get the latest rev number on the DSG..

jonathantingley

Veteran Member
TDI
well after reading on here that the "BE" flywheels seem to work, i may try to find a used one, so i guess model years 2005.5 - 2009 jetta tdi dsg would have the same flywheel?

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would not take the chance. Too much work and fubar factor to gamble on a used part, that is probably the same rev that you are replacing.

Tony

jonathantingley

Veteran Member
TDI
Well lets just say that it is the same rev #. I haven't seen a newer number yet and i would rather pay $40 for a used one and replace it in an unknown number of miles down the road or $800 for a new one and replace it, also at an unknown number of miles down the road. As far as work, i mean it's just time, doesn't cost anything to pull the tranny out.

I'm assuming you can tell if one is good or bad if it is off the car

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Foiled said:
Where are you all getting your clutch and DMF from and cost?
I see dieselgeek sells them. See: http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Categories?category=A5+Jetta+TDI
Other suggestions?
Foiled, this thread is regarding the DSG DMF in the AUTOMATIC transmission.

Yes, both the Auto and Manual Trans have a DMF. The auto version is more of a coupler and a flywheel, rather than a clutch, like the manual trans.

Tony

Foiled

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 96, wagon 295K + (sold), Jetta, 05.5 (Sold)
Your right! An automatic wouldn't have a clutch.

So where is everyone getting there replacement DMF from? Mine is rattling and I'm afraid it will go soon. I'll have to have someone else replace the DMF since it requires more time than I have and I'm not sure that I ready to dive into a project like this.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The DMF is still a dealer item.

1STVWPARTS.COM
worldimpex.com

Or your local dealer.

Tony

nvd88

TDI
2006 Jetta DSG BRM
Pictures

Sad, It seems as if the pics in Wrenchman's original posts have lost their resolution (impossible to read the text now). Does anyone still have them? I can host the full res pics/ edit the text larger

Mach1

TDI
Boraparts.com, Aaron has the best price on them and the latest version as well, the rev is on his site..

Theres NO way I would do a used one..

05_new_jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
MKV Jetta TDI
am in the middle of a dmf change on a dsg and I know now why I have and like my 5speed... what a pain in the but to get the trans out... got her out and now I gotta put new boots on the drivers side shaft due to a couple small tears I found.. all in all not too bad of a jobm just takes more time than a 5 speed..

okie

TDI
2003 Jetta
05_new_jetta said:
am in the middle of a dmf change on a dsg and I know now why I have and like my 5speed... what a pain in the but to get the trans out... got her out and now I gotta put new boots on the drivers side shaft due to a couple small tears I found.. all in all not too bad of a jobm just takes more time than a 5 speed..
I just got my DSG back in the 06 Jetta, I think it was easier job than the 5 speed in my 96 Passat. :)

gasfree

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Jetta TDI
Hello all

Getting ready to replace my dmf and I'm wondering if I should be concerned with the timing of the clutches in the DSG if while I had the transmission out I rotated the input shaft. In other words is the transmission timed to the engine or am I safe if this were to happen? I have a feeling the mechatronics is very sensitive to any kind of rotation of the input shaft with the DSG separated from the engine. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It shouldn't be an issue. IIRC, the DMF is on one shaft.

Tony