Liqui Moly - incorrect application

Daniel-TDI

TDI
2012 TDI Sport Wagon
There's always been two VW's in our driveway. Lately it has been a 2012 TDI Sportwagen (2.0) and a 2010 Golf (2.5) gas engine. I'm 300 miles over the 5,000 mile oil change on the 2010, which has 189k, and I'm scheduled for an oil change tomorrow. To tie me over, last week I put a quart of the liqui moly (4200)(5W-30) that I use for the TDI in the 2010 golf, without reminding myself that oil is different for both. The 2010 (which uses 5W-40) is running fine, but slightly rough at first start, which has happened on occasion when using the correct oil. But I now have a check engine light. I checked the oil and it showed a quart low and I added the correct Liqui Moly (blue label). Car sounds like it did when I first drove it off the lot 8 years ago, but Check Engine Light is still on. We've been religious about changing the oil and have never gone more than a few hundred miles over the next required oil change. The mechanic I use is fantastic and literally 200 yards from my house.

Questions:

1. Have I done permanent damage to the engine?

2. And can the check engine light be unrelated to the misapplication of oil?

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I can't imagine a few hundred miles with almost ANY of today's modern oils will harm your car.
The CEL is probably another cause.

Daniel-TDI

TDI
2012 TDI Sport Wagon
Thanks, I had a 2001 TDI years ago and in 2009 at around 200,000 miles a CEL came on for spark plugs wires. I'm wondering if that is it. Love my TDI, scheduling the emissions fix. Why did you turn your cars in?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
You did no damage to the engine, and the check engine light has zero relation to using the 5w-30. Get the codes read to determine the actual problem.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Thanks, I had a 2001 TDI years ago and in 2009 at around 200,000 miles a CEL came on for spark plugs wires. I'm wondering if that is it. Love my TDI, scheduling the emissions fix. Why did you turn your cars in?
Not on your diesel. Wiring harness, maybe...

Mostly monetary, which I believe is the most common reason. Loved the cars, but getting back 95% of purchase price (after 60k miles) for the NMS Passat was a no-brainer. JSW: $14k after 109k miles? Probably 2.5 times what it was worth retail, especially after the diesel fraud.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Wo ever told you to change the oil at 5,000 miles??? Or are you using any old cheap oil ???

Have no idea what the gasser's oil change recommendations are.

A member here, some time ago on his TDI changed his 100% Synthetic oil VW spec oil and then at 10,000 miles and had a lab test it. A 1 !
Then he ran the car to 20,000 miles and had the same oil tested again. Still A1 !
Ran it to 30,000 miles and had the oil tested again. Still A 1.