April 26th GTG in Minneapolis

QtmMech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5-speed
Our 26th of April get together will be at the Purity Bakery Building,
500 East 36th street, north parking lot, and basement garage. In South Mpls., five blocks east of 35W.

EDITS:

Garage opens at 8AM, and all cars out by 6:30 PM. First come first served. BYOB. I will have coffee in the morning and the grill for lunch. We can squeeze 7 cars downstairs: drive slowly, or you will bottom out hard at the bottom of the ramp. One at a time please as cars will have to make a three point turn yo back into the bays.
Show up as early as you like, but I won't start letting cars into the garage until eight.

There is room for a couple dozen TDi's on the paved surface lot outside the basement garage ramp.

RSVP'S:

QtmMech Pork loin
Steve-O Treats GP HArness, Brales
CuriousChris Brats (beer) Rear brakes, EGT Gauge, New Key
GreenGeeker Chips
Ajmilla Pork and Beans
Farmboy Cookies and tools to share
cancel
Kji
MplsTDi
cancel
MerkerGuitars Lend a hand
Losha eight hour job?
Fustigate
MinnesotaMike Brake flush

Maybes:

Socks, BruceTmoose,

The building has compressed air.
I would highly recommend bringing some more lighting (the garage is dark, but I will put a few flos in there to help . . .)

I will have a couple of charcoal grills going around noon and tables for potluck. I have one crock pot to keep things warm. I will bring pork tenderloin 'turnados" for the grill.

Use this thread to RSVP, work to be done on your car, work you would do on others', and your pot luck contribution. BYOB.

If I missed something, please PM me and I will edit this opening post!

Thanks, Jim

Last edited:

passatmrb

Veteran Member
TDI
96 TDI Wagon
26 Gtc

Hope to be there. 2 of my B4's in the shop on racks. Doing the trany on the wifes. My work ride is getting a new balance shaft. Both will come out with the 5th gear mod though. I will bring treats.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I appreciate this, Jim.

I'll be there. Looking at replacing the GP harness and resetting the CEL (IOW, nothing much). Willing to let people try out a Jetta Wagon with new Koni Reds and TT bushings. I'll bring some veggies and dip.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I will bring bratwurst from the local butcher and buns and maybe sauerkraut if I can find it. And 2 12 packs of FlyDog ale to go with the brats.

I hope to do the rear brakes on my car (I will my jackstands, jack, brake tools (including windback tool) and all tools the directions here call for. I would also like to finish installing my EGT gage which I hooked up to the dimmer switch so it only works when the headlights are on (I have the fuse holder wire, paintable insulation, crimp connectors and crimp tool, soldering iron, solder, etc)

I wil bring my computer with VagCom 704 installed and my HexCom cable. I like doing brakes and if anyone wants to remove their EGR cooler I can help with both.

25 foot extension card and halogen light too.

And my car has PP520's, RC3, Spec 3+Hybrid clutch for anyone who wants to test drive a fun Golf.

And I am working on finishing up a Wingnut inspired Race Pipe that I will bring along too.

Last edited:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I'll be there. No work to be done on my car but can lend a hand if needed.

I'll bring my tool kit, vagcom and chips to go with the brats :) .

ajmilla

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I'll be there if my car is done by then. Waiting on wheels, a tune from Charlie, and need to put in my new clutch. I have a couple of codes I will need a vagcom and maybe a little help if they don't go away. I can bring some beans and pork if I can find my crock pot. And I'm guessing it's going to be BYOB.

I'll bring some tools, and my Injector hammer puller incase anyone wants to do nozzles.

Farmboy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf SE TDI 6spd 109k miles; '00 A4 NB 5spd 216k; '96 B4 Passat Sedan 220k
I'll be there with tools to share:
- vag-com
- hub puller (if anyone wants to do front wheel bearings)
- TB toolkit for A4, maybe, if someone wants to use it
- Power Bleeder (windback tool, maybe, can't remember if I bought one)
- misc.

Not really planning to do any work on my car, though there's plenty that needs to be done. Happy to just see the crew & offer a hand where it's needed.

I'll bring a few dozen chocolate chip cookies, or something equally unhealthy.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
If the weather is good I might make a road trip on the BMW bike. Lot's of good back roads between here and there.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
jasonTDI said:
If the weather is good I might make a road trip on the BMW bike. Lot's of good back roads between here and there.
K R or F bike?

QtmMech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5-speed
Byob

ajmilla said:
I'll be there if my car is done by then. Waiting on wheels, a tune from Charlie, and need to put in my new clutch. I have a couple of codes I will need a vagcom and maybe a little help if they don't go away. I can bring some beans and pork if I can find my crock pot. And I'm guessing it's going to be BYOB.

I'll bring some tools, and my Injector hammer puller incase anyone wants to do nozzles.
Thanks for your contribution, and yes, BYOB, bring something to share. I for one am just hoping to learn a little, have my car tset driven, and i would like to feel how others' handle as well . . .

Jim

QtmMech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5-speed
scenic route

jasonTDI said:
I don't know if you are anywhere near Hwy 14, but that is a lovely route up here on a bike. Plus WI 35 along the river is pretty stunning . . .

It will be good to see you here regardless of what vehicle you take.

KJI

TDI
'05 jetta
aslong as nobody objects to a newbieidiot whoknowslittle to nothing about cars, i have tenative plans top show up(mostly because i was told to in a p) :p

Farmboy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf SE TDI 6spd 109k miles; '00 A4 NB 5spd 216k; '96 B4 Passat Sedan 220k
KJI said:
aslong as nobody objects to a newbieidiot whoknowslittle to nothing about cars, i have tenative plans top show up(mostly because i was told to in a p) :p
It's all about learning and having fun . . . safely . . . so don't sweat it . . . ask questions, keep an open mind, be cheerful and flexible, and all will be well . . .

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Well add to my list adapting a new key; oh I have done it before but I have always had troubles. Mostly I need someone to watch and notice when I screw up.

Then the rear hatch release switch on the driver door does not work anymore and if anyone has fixed this before I will do the work under their watchful eye.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I'm planning on going, mostly to meet everyone. But I would also like to get my DRLs disabled, remote windows, and switch the way my doors lock.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
QtmMech said:
I don't know if you are anywhere near Hwy 14, but that is a lovely route up here on a bike. Plus WI 35 along the river is pretty stunning . . .

It will be good to see you here regardless of what vehicle you take.
My favorite part of WI 35 is the section from Hager City to Prescott.

jasonTDI

TDI
R bikes baby! R1100GS 75th annv edition. Farkled out.....

The wife rides an 06' F650GS though.

Spamjohnson said:
K R or F bike?

KJI

TDI
'05 jetta
Farmboy said:
It's all about learning and having fun . . . safely . . . so don't sweat it . . . ask questions, keep an open mind, be cheerful and flexible, and all will be well . . .

yeay...i'm not being shunned :cool:

QtmMech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5-speed
KJI said:
yeay...i'm not being shunned :cool:
You are welcome, with or without Kim-ill and his pie. I have only been to one GTG and I have to say you will learn a lot, gain respect for the TDiers who know a few things and be thankful for all the help! That and just a general good time. See you in a few . . .

waitin4mine

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GL 5-Speed
I will stop by long enough to at least say hello. Would like to change my fuel filter [need standby help the first time] and just see folks. Got my new Panzer Plate yesterday-these storms are not leaving so seemed like it was time. Dodging ice boulders on the freeway is frowned upon ;) MNmiser did a great job fitting the side boots for me. I really like knowing my ride is protected.
Mary

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I maybe only able to stop by in the morning, I have to help my sister-in-law move. I will have to bring my trailer with me, is there enough space?

QtmMech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5-speed
End Times

I can't really decide on the end time of the GTG. I get tired at parties quicker than some, I am am thinking fatigue might set in near sevenish. You all can keep me stimulated by letting me drive a number of your better running TDi's and offering to give mine the once over. I shouldn't have to work so hard at getting 44 MPG . . .

Jim

jasonTDI

TDI
You need to set a late start time for work too otherwise these things go until 1 am......

QtmMech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5-speed
Or Diesel Grandad's . . .

Late start time cut offs should be job dependent, expected work time plus 50% before seven. I will have to defer to the more experienced in estimating expected labor times . . .

I guess this could be determined at morning signup?

jasonTDI

TDI
Newb intake cleaning? 4-5 hours.
Brake flush 1-2.
Filters and oil service with tire rotation 2-3 hours.
front and rear brakes 3 hours.

just observation times from watching people.

merkerguitars

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta
I'll be theres most likely, I can bang out a TDI Oil change with tire rotate in about 10 minutes. And if people need help with brakes I can help bang out stuff quick.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
I would say that changing the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, pollen filter, and air filter on a Beetle is maybe a one-hour job. You simply have to know where everything is and have the right tools.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
Hey anybody needs any parts for GTG, like suspension & steering parts, filters, oil, intaked & exhaust gaskets, gear oil, coolant, brakes & fluid. I can have them ordered and bring down to GTG. If interested send me PM.

Hopefully I get some body work done my car by GTG so it doesn't look to multi colored anymore.

Last edited: