Anyone have some low budget mod ideas for a 03 MkIV Golf TDI

TDI
2003 Mk4 Golf
Pretty much as the title says

I’m tired of being in a car that doesn’t pass 100hp, so I figured this would be the best place to see what ideas people have. I just put on an EGR delete and now I’m wondering what else can I do to this thing?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
How cheap is cheap? Also, is yours auto or manual? You could try the evry mod, but that's a limited mod and can lead to destroyed parts if done wrong.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Slap a set of nozzles in and call it good, any of the name brand stuff from Europe will work fine, avoid no name ebay/amazon nozzles and make sure to at least do basic pop testing. I'd steer clear of tuning boxes or unknown flashes, there's cheap tunes floating around online but they could cause more harm than good. If you plan to play around with it and tune it yourself/cheaply, I'd start by picking up a VCDS cable to make sure you can diagnose things to make sure it remains reliable, or at least a boost gauge. VNT15 should be around 18psi at sea level, with spikes no more than low 20s.

since it's an automatic your injection pump flows more and you have smaller nozzles to compensate. A set of DLC520s would be sufficient.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
go get a set of soft summer tires 350 or lower rating, and go autocross with it.
Nozzles, tune, and a clutch if you want more power but cant afford head work or a $$$ turbo

autocross is NOT about fast cars, its about good drivers, good meaning skills.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Tune after the nozzles.
I have The DLC520's with a tune and an auto. You'll like it.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
swap the n75 bits for the ALH parts, and get a vtn 17/22 hybrid.
you WILL need a clutch if you do anything more than just a light tune
Sachs stage 2 endurance clutch and 14lbs flywheel kit, 502's or 764's, 17/22 turbo with manifold, EGT gauge, tune, PD150 intake, colt cam, and 11mm IP with a few supporting upgrades is about as beefy as you can go with out custom fab. take this combo as your base line for MAX modding with little issue.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Look at my white car(in signature), it's around 100hp or so. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions. I've been dailying it and no issues so far.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Thanks for these couple ideas and one more question. This is more of a long term thing but what would be a next step turbo instead of the stock one?
If you're going to keep the car for a long period and plan on upgrading, then this thread is something you'll want to tackle after a certain point.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=151516&highlight=kill+da+auto+wabbit

I'm not sure if he still sells it or not, but Fran has the kit(no clutch) listed for 975:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=434593

Some of the vendors on the site were quoting around 900 for labor.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Look at my white car(in signature), it's around 100hp or so. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions. I've been dailying it and no issues so far.
stock is 90HP, 100? what you do, tighten the turbos waste gate? lol

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
a simple tune would be the best bang for the lowest money, but there's a chance your stock clutch won't handle a basic stage 1

TDI
2003 Mk4 Golf
Unless you do your own work $100 to $200 won't actually get you anything. You need a bigger budget or leave it alone.
I’m actually increasing my budget as the other one was based on my previous job, but now I’m in line to get a better paying job. Now we’ll see how much I’m able to spend without going into debt

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
If you're going to keep the car for a long period and plan on upgrading, then this thread is something you'll want to tackle after a certain point.

I'm not sure if he still sells it or not, but Fran has the kit(no clutch) listed for 975:

His car is an AUTOMATIC !!!:rolleyes:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
We have an '01 Golf with the 01M automatic and a mild RocketChip Stage 1.5 tune. The transmission has been drained and refilled every 40K miles or so and it still shifts as crisply as when the car was new. I can light up the tires if I want to and I have surprised a lot of BMW drivers. It is just FUN to drive.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Evry Mod!

Super cheap and should deliver at least 10 extra hp.

Find some manual car injectors or nozzles (if you were closer, you could have my old ones) super cheap!

Not sure what the increase in power will do to that auto tranny. If it breaks, NOT super cheap to fix.

Probably best to formulate your plan with a long term outlook if you plan to keep the car. Then work towards the goal. I say this because I did a bunch of upgrades and then took them out and did more upgrades. Sort of like burning money! If I had planned it better I could have saved money and been happier with the outcome.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
His car is an AUTOMATIC !!!:rolleyes:
you keep saying that, like some how automatics DONT HAVE CLUTCHES, they do. how do you not know this. Auto's are impossible to upgrade but the clutch can still fail. Torque converter only helps out at low revs untill it locks up. the hoop clutch will still fail and the trans is trash.
I was wrong about upgrading the clutch but it will still fail. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the cheapest mod you will do is to push the car to the limits as it is now with soft tires. otherwise at least $1,000 will get you to a reliable area.
just sell the car or buy a boxter

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
10 hp jump is like? do you even notice? What mod and how much to get that little? How is MPG?
Along my way of tuning and modding, i found that every upgrade you do to gain power gains MPG because you are burning the fuel better without changing the fuel injection. even larger injectors have better spray characteristics.
So your 10HP boost, hows your MPG or was that the point because 10hp is kinda pointless IMO if its not making better mileage.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
10 hp jump is like?
Previously (before my last round of upgrades):
I had my stage 3 Malone tune.
DLC 1019 injectors
EGR Delete

With this I was able to get about 120 hp which is not a huge increase from 90, but the torque went up to 220 ft-lbs which was noticeable. My G60/VR6 upgraded clutch had a hard time holding this so I put a Southbend 2 Endurance. This is what was dyno'd just before the latest big upgrades.

That seat of the pants increase was really something. I also noticed much better acceleration. When we first got the ALH, it was like driving a generator. It just had one speed.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
strip the interior of all the junk you don't need or want
there's about 200lbs worth of junk in there that's totally unnecessary, if not more than that
10 hp jump is like? do you even notice?
when you've only got 90 to start with, 10hp is plenty to notice

aww **** I replied to a mongler post, will I ever learn?

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
10 hp jump is like? do you even notice? What mod and how much to get that little? How is MPG?
Along my way of tuning and modding, i found that every upgrade you do to gain power gains MPG because you are burning the fuel better without changing the fuel injection. even larger injectors have better spray characteristics.
So your 10HP boost, hows your MPG or was that the point because 10hp is kinda pointless IMO if its not making better mileage.
Well, it's likely more than 10 tbh. People have told me it's faster with the mods, so it's probably more like 35-40 more. Mileage is the same, so no issues there.