tips for tuning pd130 asz~?

gmo

TDI
modded pd130 asz vw bora .. 04
greetings,i hope all you fellow diesel fiends are well

im in the process of of my second pd build so far i have 04 bora

turbo dynamics stage 2 MD gt1756 with billet 6x6 wheel.. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stage-2-...777125?hash=item4af9c155e5:g:FZMAAOSwPc9WzcDg
darkside 51mm hardpipe egr blank and fmic kit
x man decat
full helix smf kit with organic plate.. will upgrade to paddle if it starts slipping
pipercross foam filter... it was in car when i bough it and sound nice :)
s3 brakes
vrs 17in wheels
eibach -30mm proline springs

next on list is strut brace, ARB's and diff

i have a question.. is it worth getting +50 or +80 nozzles when running this turbo, im planning on a getting a gtb2056vk later in year so was think about just fitting the nozzles now and getting it mapped to the MD hybrid

, how will it affect the current set up, more power? will it even run right?

goals for this build are around 240bhp and 380 ish lbs..

thanks for reading

Last edited:

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
the biggest issue is the turbo in your case, that TD hybrid is a not a great match, from experience they just fit a large compressor wheel to the small, stock turbine and clip the blades to stop it from surging. I would send it back and go for the gtb1756 vk if you want stock like torque and pick up, otherwise the gtb2056vk is better and has lower EGT- they are a lot rarer turbos though.

gmo

TDI
i dont have gtb coin atm mate and turbo is well rated by many pd tuners and have seen some well over 240bhp and near 400lbs on stock injectors .im sure it will do for now.
my issues is the injectors mate , can you shed any light that subject? worth fitting bigger ones with the td hybrid or or stick with stock.
the 2056 isnt an option still end of next summer sadly ( going with darkside fitted kit) , ikl have to make most of gt1756 for now

Last edited:

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
If you want more power down tge line then as a minimum get pd150 injectors- they are cheap enough. Alternately, touareg v10 tdi injectors are a mild upgrade but will need an experienced tuner to play with duration maps. As i said above, turbo is your limiting factor, stop listening to the hype- what goes in must come out and the botleneck is the tiny turbine. I would sell the TD hybrid as its just rubbish and go with a modern gtb turbo which will lower the egt in the engine...

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
I would just use the stock ones and save for your turbo, injectors and diff. Save enough to do the injectors and turbo at the same time. You have enough fuel for the turbo you have right now with stock injectors. Personally I would get a tune for the current turbo/ injectors and put the money toward the diff/other parts. Get the rest of the car sorted then do the turbo and injectors.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
... As per 240 Wish horse power from the little hybrid, it will surge a lot and smoke some too. I had an td hybrid on a v6 tdi years ago, it was strugling to clear the smoke from bosio race nozzles... I dont remember hoe much power it was putting on the rollers as the engine never ran great with that turbo and i bought the car with the turbo on it but i found out that they never change the turbine and just clip the tip of the blades to stop it fron surging and overspooling! The 56mm compressor is a poor match to the gt17 turbine and often the shaft snaps due to stresses... As a minimum i would install a gt20 turbine on it just to give it a chance... I have played with hybrids for 10 years and i never seen many that work well so i had to make my own... The biggest i made had a 65mm compressor inside the housings of a gt2052v... It had a bit of lag low down but it was linear pull all the way to 150 mph on a v6 tdi allroad and it did 300 bhp on rollers... You can look on my photobucket to see pics of the stock and modified turbo side by side. Nowadays, i would get a stock, modern gtb turbo and just upgrade as necessary, they are stronger and flow a lot better than old tech gt series! Couple of people i know use volvo gtb2056vl tuebos on AVF pd130 engines... They do go well!

gmo

TDI
If you want more power down tge line then as a minimum get pd150 injectors- they are cheap enough. Alternately, touareg v10 tdi injectors are a mild upgrade but will need an experienced tuner to play with duration maps. As i said above, turbo is your limiting factor, stop listening to the hype- what goes in must come out and the botleneck is the tiny turbine. I would sell the TD hybrid as its just rubbish and go with a modern gtb turbo which will lower the egt in the engine...
pd130 and 150 injectors are the same mate..i know of 100s of 1756 used with good results.. i know iots not perfect but will do for now.. end goal is 260 ish ina gtb2056 and tbh TD have very good rep for hybrids . some of the better ones about ime

Last edited:

gmo

TDI
I would just use the stock ones and save for your turbo, injectors and diff. Save enough to do the injectors and turbo at the same time. You have enough fuel for the turbo you have right now with stock injectors. Personally I would get a tune for the current turbo/ injectors and put the money toward the diff/other parts. Get the rest of the car sorted then do the turbo and injectors.
cheers mate , you pretty much have same plan as myself but was toying with putting injectors in now.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
pd130 and 150 injectors are the same mate..i know of 100s of 1756 used with good results.. i know iots not perfect but will do for now.. end goal is 260 ish ina gtb2056 and tbh TD have very good rep for hybrids . some of the better ones about ime
Pd130 injectors are not the same with pd150 injectors, only ASZ pd130 had same injectors as the ARL 150 bhp after 2003... There is a flow chart somwhere which goes by the nozzle size and internal plungers... As far as i know only very early pd115 injectors were as big as the ones fitted to the ARL engine on first generation audi a6 c5 and b5 audi a4...every other one injector of the pd130 with exception of ASZ was smaller and flowed similar due to increased duration maps. I am not trying to be pedantic but just because there are hundreds of cars running gt1756 hybrids without issues does not nean its a good turbo! Old tech with lower temperature chra against a newer generation turbo with a much better, higher temperature hotside is nothing to be sniffed at!

gmo

TDI
Pd130 injectors are not the same with pd150 injectors, only ASZ pd130 had same injectors as the ARL 150 bhp after 2003... There is a flow chart somwhere which goes by the nozzle size and internal plungers... As far as i know only very early pd115 injectors were as big as the ones fitted to the ARL engine on first generation audi a6 c5 and b5 audi a4...every other one injector of the pd130 with exception of ASZ was smaller and flowed similar due to increased duration maps. I am not trying to be pedantic but just because there are hundreds of cars running gt1756 hybrids without issues does not nean its a good turbo! Old tech with lower temperature chra against a newer generation turbo with a much better, higher temperature hotside is nothing to be sniffed at!
im trying not to sound obnoxious mate but ..
5 speed box pd130s with 228mm clutch set up has slightly lower flow injectors as bit less torque ,all 6 speed pd130 and 150 with 240mm clutch are the same..
plus mine a 04 plate so even if was there was a change id still have the bigger ones .. im pretty sure all 6 speed boxmodels with 240mm clutch have same injectors.. they used slightly smaller ones and gave 5sp 228mm clutch passat ect and gave it as bit less torque.. though i could be wrong ive read this is several places. show me the proof if you can mate , id like to see. genuine interest .. not being cocky btw
also i know the gt1756 may not be perfect but i dont have 2 grand to shell out for a gtb set up at mate . diff and gtb2056, +80%, 260-270bhp and 450 is target.. i have asz engine box being made up as we speak.. the turbo was a quick fix as my x man hybrid failed so got TD to rebuild it.. only 500 quid .
at the end of the day i joined this forum to learn so will take note of what you say mate. thanks for input
chart i found..

Last edited: