Exhaust Pulled Back, Re-engage Bushings

TurboTaco

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Hey y'all.
Posted about taking my 2011 Golf TDI to the dealership for a failed exhaust sensor. That's wrapped up.
I did the oil change and while I was under there I though I'd look my exhaust since the dealer said it had been moved backwards.
Here's a picture, it's not that good because I have to use the front cam on it.
Anyways, I was looking at the exhaust and there's NO adjustability. I couldn't find a way to adjust the exhaust forward. I can maybe man handle the metal rods back into the bushing, but wouldn't they just come out?
All the exhaust mounting points I found were connected to rubber. Even the muffler int he back has a swinging bushing.
Has anyone dealt with this? I tried to loosen the Vband there, but even then, I don't think that'd help me get the exhaust forward.
Terrible design by VW on this btw.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Terrible pic is more like it!

You just need to take the hanger loose and pop it back over the grommets, then bolt it back up to the subframe. Someone did a half-arsed fix on it looks like.

TurboTaco

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Terrible pic is more like it!
You just need to take the hanger loose and pop it back over the grommets, then bolt it back up to the subframe. Someone did a half-arsed fix on it looks like.
lol!!
The picture was showing up last night, now its not.
Also fail, posted in the wrong forum. Must've been a strong cider last night. Was thirsty after messing around with the exhaust lol.

That's funny, I was thinking that. Pop the grommet bracket off, push it onto the exhaust, then bolt it back in.
Here it comes.... "I'm an mech E" and it doesn't take an engineer to question whether it'll just pop back out. I think it just pops out, but I'll take your word for it. Let's see if it stays on once I try that.
I fricking love this car btw. My other car is a modded first gen tacoma and everytime I get back in the TDI I'm so happy. Such a fun car.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Pair of channel locks and some dish soap and you can probably pop them back in without messing with too much.

TurboTaco

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Pair of channel locks and some dish soap and you can probably pop them back in without messing with too much.
You don't think they'd pop back out though?
That's my concern. I feel there has to be more of a hard adjustment to keep them there. Maybe they were never pushed in during the fix, but if they were, why did they pop out?
I'll try either method to pop em back in but well see about how long they stay there.