Help! Cannot spin flywheel to find Timing mark

y2kbird

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Black Jetta, '03 Blue Jetta
2003 jetta 5 speed, we can't turn the flywheel enough from the top via screwdriver to find the timing mark. It does spin a little in each direction (something is preventing us from turning it further)

The cam locking tool is in place, the injector pump pin is in place, and the timing belt is loose.

We had found this mark a few hours ago (and the car started up fine) but we decided to re-do everything because the injection pump bolts were not centered, and we were worried we would not have enough movement to fully set the timing.

EDIT: Resolved this issue by spinning the harmonic balancer bolt from below.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
EDIT: Either I didn't see your edit or composed and posted later .............Anyway, I'm glad you solved the problem!

If the Cam plate is in place, IP Pin in place and you cannot see the TDC mark on the Flywheel even after moving it in either direction................ Wow! You are probably bad off time with the Crankshaft.

You really need a 12 point 19mm socket and power handle to rotate the crankshaft from the other end of the engine.

However, I'm thinking at this point a piston is up against a Valve............ that's why you cannot turn it anymore............ at least in one direction.

Lastly, I assume you have the TB lower cover on and cannot see down in there. There's a slim possibility that the "loose" TB is wadding-up as you try to rotate the engine. (I sort of doubt this, but you may want to rule it out.)

I would have tried to set the timing with VCDS before tearing it back down. I've seen the IP bolts off center far enough that I had the same thoughts but it worked out okay.

Last edited: