Volkswagen says US pickup is back on the table

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
I sure hope your right!

My local dealer here in Canada (who had just come back from visiting the new Passat plant), told me he was hoping for a 2014 release.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
please...sell my JSW, again

Every time I see a VW sales manager or salesperson, I mention that I would be happy to let them sell my JSW again if they just bring me an Amarok. I even tell them I'd give them a great deal on the JSW, and that I might just be their first customer. It seems to get their attention.:D

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Every time I see a VW sales manager or salesperson, I mention that I would be happy to let them sell my JSW again if they just bring me an Amarok. I even tell them I'd give them a great deal on the JSW, and that I might just be their first customer. It seems to get their attention.:D
My salesman wants an Amarok just as bad as me.

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
I love the feel of a Frame on Body 4wd truck. I love being able to drive over most things, passing someone on the right gravel shoulder at 40mph while they are stopped on a 2 lane road turning left, and pulling up to a parking space until the front tires hit the barrier, and not worrying about scraping my lip or oil pan!

Unfortunately I could no longer afford the sub 20MPG, which is why I ended up with a TDI, which I love for other reasons!

I don't know why the US can't get a small to midsize truck with a small efficient diesel engine! Who knows if it will ever happen....

I never have seen a German truck before, VW looks like they did a pretty good job style wise!

http://www.volkswagen-commercial-vehicles.com/int/en/models/amarok/highlights/4motion.html

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Exactly my point: their blogs make no mention of the size, the utility, or economy...so the uninformed think it is simply an underpowered, minimally equipped mini truck that costs more than a F150 XL. They should have compared it to a Nissan/Toyota; that way they could've made a better Euro/US price comparison...and maybe changed some minds. A 4-door tacoma is NOT a cheap truck either.

I'd rather buy a $28-30k Amarok that can do the work and get over 30mpg rather than Tacoma/Frontier at the same price point (or a base model F150 for that matter). Their is NOTHING that compares.
Size appears to similar to the Honda Ridgeline or the US Dodge Dakota. From looking at the pictures and specs, I think the bed is slightly larger and more usable as a truck than the Ridgeline. You also have the option of a single cab, which makes the bed even larger.

I would sell both my JSW and the new Golf we are probably going to get this week for an Amarok.

Bayou_Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 4Door 6M
Yeah, I think more Dakota-sized than Ridgeline.....I owned a 4dr Dakota 8 years ago; it was a great all-around truck. There is a place in North America....bring it VW!

rme

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
When and if the Amarok gets here to NA I think it would interesting to see what the aftermarket would bring. I think I could almost have fun thinking about how to dress it up....

RavRav

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, 2000 Jetta, 2003 W8 4motion wagon,2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins 6spd, 69 Mustang Mach1, 68 Bronco possible 4BT conversion.
Just thought I would let you know. I have seen an Amorak with TDI on the rear tailgate driving around down here in Laredo Texas. It had Mexican plates on it....but I was shocked to see it. I also have seen a panel van with TDI on it with Mexican plates. Really makes me curious when they are coming so that we can buy them.
The Amorak was beautiful!

Last edited:

May-39

Veteran Member
TDI
alh wagon
hopefully no rug jerk like chrysler

Like many with their 12v cummins and 7.3psd, ive been hanging on to my 98 toy t100 waiting 4 something similar to replace and always wishing it were deezel...
had money in hand for a crd 6 spd jeep thinking that and a trailer would be good...nope minivan gas motor only

Ford shelved the 30 mpg f100 fearing loyalist backlash and f150 market share....

Was drooling over tacoma trd 4dr 4wd trd diesel in jamaica this spring....

This would be awesome

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
SOOO....I got an Email from VW Canada the other day, I sent them an email about the Amarok...

Here is a section of the email I got:
We are pleased to inform you that Volkswagen Canada is predicting to introduce a new line of commercial vehicles in the near future with the Amarok being strongly considered. Unfortunately, we cannot provide any estimated time of release.
I'm guessing 2013 Model Year :D
I'm guessing it's real "commercial vehicles", maybe as in the Crafter (given the success of M-B's/Chrysler's Sprinter and Ford's Transit Connect) -- or even heavier trucks, like MANs or Scanias. The respondent didn't use the term "light trucks"; the term used was "commercial vehicles".

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The Amarok is listed as a commercial vehicle in a lot of the earlier literature in this post.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
When I was in Sweden a month ago I got to see a amarok in the flesh

It's roughly the same size as a Ford sporttrac, it's the perfect size

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
8sp (non)-DSG

Production is at capacity on this platform. They need another factory before they can possibly expand sales to NA. Here is an Australian article (Sidney Morning Herald) describing a new 8sp non-DSG version. Unlike DSG, it has a standard torque converter, so it will be much more robust. Tragically, if the Amarok does come here, it may have only the DSG, or the new slushbox, but no MT (just like the massive NA Ford, GM, Chevy, Dodge pickups-auto trans only). I like the DSG in my JSW, but 6MT makes so much more sense for a pickup. I'd still buy it, and frankly, rather not have the DSG in an Amarok anyway. The new 8 speed auto would be an improvement.
Drive:VW Amarok to get 8-spd auto
I continue to be hopeful.

By the way Coolbreeze- That Amarok on Fuelly (Nuppika) that indicates USA location is actually in Finland. Teemu loves it.

Last edited:

lagunageorge

TDI
2009 Tdi
It doesn't make sense for them to import any vans or light trucks because of the Chicken Tax tariffs, which are 25%.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
It doesn't make sense for them to import any vans or light trucks because of the Chicken Tax tariffs, which are 25%.

Thats the beauty of having a Tennessee manufacturing plant. Now VW can send the kits to the Tennessee and "manufacture" them here in the USA.

blaz

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
Production is at capacity on this platform. They need another factory before they can possibly expand sales to NA. Here is an Australian article (Sidney Morning Herald) describing a new 8sp non-DSG version. Unlike DSG, it has a standard torque converter, so it will be much more robust.
Apparently the same 8-spd as in the Touareg with the V6 TDI. By all accounts a rugged unit that will give good mileage in the "over-drive" gears. The Touareg folks haul some big trailers with this and the V6 TDI.

And 7.6 L/100km in the Euro cycle is excellent, with *now* 420 N-m low-end torque (310 ft-lbs @ 1500-2000?, must be the Bi-Turbo). Hwy mileage would maybe be 6.6 L/100km, same as the Uni-turbo with the 6spd manual?

Although I've given up waiting and gone to the 2011 Ford Ecoboost, if the Amarok shows up in a few years I'd switch over as I'd rather have that mileage and don't need all the F150 Ecoboost's 11,500# tow capacity.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Production is at capacity on this platform. They need another factory before they can possibly expand sales to NA.
Need to expand into another plant? How about Chattanooga? I understand they have enough land to set up an indentical sized plant to what they have originally built.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would rather have the full blown truck than another car with a cut off rear end. Probably not a big enough bed to use for hauling lawn needs or enough of a towing capacity to make it any better than my JSW.

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Honda Odyssey EX-L

I want this truck Vw Saveriro, If I saw this truck in the in a dealership I would buy it on the spot.
I'm all for us getting a VW truck, but this? Remember the suburu outback pickup? Same ball game. Which I never liked el camino's or ranchero's. Looks like a car with an identity crisis! :confused:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My wife has actually given me the OK to purchase this truck, if it ever makes it to the US.