Diesel Cruz slated for 2013

Torqued off

TDI
None
I will believe it when I see it on the window sticker at dealer lots.
Not much of a stretch since it's already available in Europe and with upcoming CAFE demands GM might be the first to have a TDI competitor but they certainly won't be the last.

All you diesel fans screaming for more diesel choices might be careful for what you wish for.

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
The Cruze is a nice looking car. Glad to see it. Diesel was the only reason I bought a VW. It's good to have other options.

Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Works for me. If GM brings it over, they'll be a certain Jetta sitting on a Chevy used car lot.

Torqued off

TDI
None
The Cruze is a nice looking car. Glad to see it. Diesel was the only reason I bought a VW. It's good to have other options.
I agree. The only thing that makes me nervous is that when they become more popular what will happen to the already pricier diesel fuel when demand is higher yet supply is not.

Franny

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I would love to see a diesel car from GM. GM vehicles are about the only thing our family drives. I bought a Jetta TDI because I have a long commute to work and back and we have family spread out around the midwest. Don't get me wrong...I love the VW, but my heart is still with GM. I would strongly consider buying the Cruze diesel, if or when, it comes available. My wife could use a good fuel efficient vehicle as well.

Diesel for the rest of my life!:rolleyes:

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
In the European cycle, a diesel Cruze with the 6-speed Auto gets 6.6 l/100km (36 mpg). The engine is brand-new and just replaced an older diesel. The older one was widely regarded as very unrefined, reviews about the new one aren't in yet.
In the same European rating a Jetta with DSG is rated at 5.3 l/100km (44 mpg). So that's about the difference between a Jetta and a Cruze.
0-100 kph is 9.4s for the Cruze, 9.5s for the Jetta. (The Cruze has 163hp, the Jetta 140 - the weight difference kills the power advantage)

The engine in the diesel Cruze is an updated version of this:
http://www.vmmotori.it/en/01/00/01/dettaglio.jsp?id=8

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
A diesel Cruze's value will go down faster than teen age girl on a prom date. Lucky for you will be able to get a good trade in value on your VW.

In 2001 I bought a 2001 Jetta for 17.5K and my dad bought a new 2001 Buick for 30K. Three years later both cars had the same NADA value.

No thanks, but looks like I will be able to get a good deal on a TDi when all the GM fanatics trade in a car that VW has been successfully marketing for 30 years for a car made by the company that single handily killed the diesel in the USA.

Wonder if GM can kill the diesel again?

Last edited:

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Gm has not made decent car since 1972, you must agree with me because your driving a VW...

You hate VW, but you are driving a 2010?????????????? And we are supposed to respect your opinion on cars?????

Amen brother....given the choice, I would choose just about any other manufacturer. :eek:

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
This bad news, now that I think about it. The GM motor will be a POS and ruin the reputation of diesel cars again...

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
So why on Earth do you drive one????
I believe I said earlier, "Diesel was the only reason I bought a VW". It was a roll of the dice. I like the car, I enjoy driving it. I just don't have faith in VW as a manufacturer, or their service network. It's simple.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
LOL, simple? Not to me, no way I'd own anything I had no faith in, no matter what fuel it used. Makes zero sense to me.

Good luck with your car, all mine have been very good, but I place most of my faith in the car itself and my own ability to keep it on the road, not with any company.

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
I agree. The only thing that makes me nervous is that when they become more popular what will happen to the already pricier diesel fuel when demand is higher yet supply is not.

Supply has nothing to do with diesel prices being high.

It's high because they can get away with it.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Exactly. When more stations have diesel, the more the price will come down. I used to work for a small convenience store chain and we made 25 cent more on diesel than RUG....Why? because we was only one selling it in the area.

Supply has nothing to do with diesel prices being high.

It's high because they can get away with it.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
I will believe it when I see it on the window sticker at dealer lots.
Vaporware until it is on dealer lots.

Duramax 4.5L would be a better bet for GM I would think.
More potential for profit. GM has to prepare for higher CAFE requirements and must protect it's cash cow trucks. More potential for increased mpg.

Cruze already delivers 40 mpg highway and is in a low cost, low profit segment.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
If they would throw a Isuzu diesel in that Colorado, i would be excited.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Again, why are driving an almost new VW, just so you can troll here?

Do yourself and us a favor, sell it and stop whining. Get a GM.
This car has been back to the dealer more than any other car I've owned with crap that doesn't happen to other cars. And talk about trolling, if you're not interested in a diesel Cruze, why are you even here?

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Last time I checked this was Tdi Club, not CDX Cruze club.

notice my user name? i'm all things VW.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
This bad news, now that I think about it. The GM motor will be a POS and ruin the reputation of diesel cars again...
GM Daewoo manufactures the engine, but it is a VM Motori design. The Cruze diesel engine is the same engine used in some Hyundai/Kia cars.

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
So why on Earth do you drive one????

The Cruze is one of the nicest Daewoos GM has ever sold here, FWIW. :p
I drove a brand new Daewoo Lacetti gasser rental car 2 weeks ago and I've also driven a Buick Excelle (I think that's what they called it??) and they both feel and drive different than the Cruze offered here. They cheapen them down and cut most of the luxury crap out so it feels and drives different.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Last time I checked this was Tdi Club, not CDX Cruze club.

notice my user name? i'm all things VW.
Last time I checked, this is the General Automotive section.

domboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
In the European cycle, a diesel Cruze with the 6-speed Auto gets 6.6 l/100km (36 mpg). The engine is brand-new and just replaced an older diesel. The older one was widely regarded as very unrefined, reviews about the new one aren't in yet.
In the same European rating a Jetta with DSG is rated at 5.3 l/100km (44 mpg). So that's about the difference between a Jetta and a Cruze.
0-100 kph is 9.4s for the Cruze, 9.5s for the Jetta. (The Cruze has 163hp, the Jetta 140 - the weight difference kills the power advantage)

The engine in the diesel Cruze is an updated version of this:
http://www.vmmotori.it/en/01/00/01/dettaglio.jsp?id=8
What does it get with a manual transmission?

This US diesel Cruze better have a manual is all I have to say. But that's not a stretch seeing as the highest mpg rated Eco model has a manual.

At any rate, this is the first thing out of GM that has really perked my interest in awhile. Bring it on!! Maybe it will encourage others to bring some diesels too. Oh, and seeing how unexpected this is, maybe they'll throw a one-two punch and put it into the Colorado/Canyon pickup with a manual... then I'd be really floored!

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I very much doubt it will happen. Reason being is simple: it'll cost too much and won't have enough improvement over the direct-injected turbo gas engines they already have. Not enough people are going to spend an extra $5k+ for a car that gets 5 MPG better, at least not at a Chevy dealer. Plus, GM has the Volt (same platform) sitting on the showroom floor right next to it. They certainly want to sell those, same reason Toyota wants to sell the Prius, and why you are not ever going to see a Yaris 1.4D for sale here....

I hope I am wrong, though.