Will Rotella-T synthetic cause cam problems?

db52282

TDI
2005 Passat TDI Sedan
Okay, I finally found a shop in my local area that specializes in VW and Audi automobiles. While talking with the owner about various things I have learned since joining this forum ... I asked him what kind of oil he used in the TDI's he serviced.

He went on about how oils used to have something called ZDDP (Zink Phosphate) but the EPA required it to be removed and VW had to come up with a "substitute" oil which would meet the 505.01 standards.

He said Shell Rotella-T Synthetic (5W-40) could be safely used in my 2005 Passat TDI with no cam related problems due to oil. This is because Rotella-T has the ZDDP which was removed by other oil manufacturers.

Is this true or is he just blowing smoke?

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Mr. DB, only time will tell. Personally, I'd focus on Mobil 1 5W40 TDT. It's a superior product for just a few bux more.

Welcome aboard!

db52282

TDI
2005 Passat TDI Sedan
Yeah, I have read all about the BSM problem with these 2.0L PD TDI's.
I am planning (and saving) to have the replacement done by Oilhammer.

Are y'all saying that the Mobil 1 TDT is an acceptable replacement?

Does it meet the VW 505.01 spec?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Yeah, I have read all about the BSM problem with these 2.0L PD TDI's.
I am planning (and saving) to have the replacement done by Oilhammer.

Are y'all saying that the Mobil 1 TDT is an acceptable replacement?

Does it meet the VW 505.01 spec?
Good choice (Re: Oilhammer).;)

Yes, I have been using M1 TDT for 40,000 miles with excellent UOA's.:D

No, it doesn't meet 505.01.:rolleyes:

db52282

TDI
2005 Passat TDI Sedan
Since you don't use a "certified" oil is the whole 505.01 thing just a big scare tactic by VW?

If I use Mobil TDT am I safe (in you opinion) based on your oil analysis results?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Since you don't use a "certified" oil is the whole 505.01 thing just a big scare tactic by VW?
If I use Mobil TDT am I safe (in you opinion) based on your oil analysis results?
Lots of folks here use M1 TDT. Just have a look at the UOA thread in Fuels and Lubricants. I prefer to base my trust in actual wear analysis. The oil selection thing is a bag of worms around here. There are lots of threads with camshaft failures using spec oil. It's a personal preference what oil to use. In my opinion, M1 TDT is a fine oil that works well in my Passat. I can't speculate on your engine's performance with any oil. I'm just providing you with an option if you want to deviate from using spec oil.

There is lots of information at www.bobistheoilguy.com if you want to read up on oils.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
I have to place stock in using any oil that has been tested & labeled by VW to 505.01 - simply because the PD engine design sees significantly higher cam contact pressures at the injectors, and the film strength required of the oil is especially high.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I have to place stock in using any oil that has been tested & labeled by VW to 505.01 - simply because the PD engine design sees significantly higher cam contact pressures at the injectors, and the film strength required of the oil is especially high.
And if the film strength of these oils is higher than 505.01 oils? (they indeed are, compare HTHS)

formerPDfan

TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS
Pentosin II and Lubro-Moly are two good 505.01 spec 5W40 oils that are readily available online. If you look at VW's original 2005 list of 505.01 oils, you'll see that none are 5W30. A handful of 5W30 were approved later, but the necessity of high film strength suggests that the higher weight oil might be better suited for the job.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Valvoline 5w40 is 505.01 and MB229.51 approved. It's also $3.99/qt at O'Reilley. I am currently running 50/50, Valvoline 5w40 and 20w50. I should have a UOA on that mix before too long to compare w/ the previous TDT.