Exclamation mark light (!) on Dash

Jimbo5030

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
This comes on and beeps three times when we are going up a hill, or accelerating. Then the light goes out, and all is fine.

The owner's manual says it's the parking brake light. But I don't think this is the issue.

Anyone know if it's related to the turbo or emissions or something else? I'm lost.

Thanks

BioPassat

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Passat GL TDI
Yes..

compu_85 said:
Is it red or yellow? If it is red check your brake fluid level.

-Jason
Yes, you are on to something here...

If it is the brake fluid, I'd inspect for brake fluid leaks! :eek:

It could be that your brake pads are almost metal to metal and it's time for a brake job. Although you could just add brake fluid and milk it for a little bit. :rolleyes:

Jimbo5030

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Red is what it is.

I have a seperate warning light for the brakes.

The car is a 2001 and has 240,000 kms. It may be due for a second set of brakes. Lots of city driving.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
It does mean your brake fluid is low. Going uphill, or accelerating rapidly. tilts the reservoir enough that the float sensor signals low fluid. Go back down hill or level and the float signals enough fluid.