MN Chat Thread

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Weird noises on my 2002: sometimes not all the times when I am coming to a stop when i hit the brakes I here a cluink, and if I pump the brakes I here the clunk over and over again. Then today no sound. What the f**k?
If it's anything like the noise I have it may be upper strut bearings. My noise it more of tick though. I happens when I hit the brakes, when I engage/disengage the clutch and when I get on and off the the accelerator.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Ooh VW's are hub centric and the lug bolts just hold it in place and the hub supports all the weight.
If you don't tell the studs I won't either, it can be our little secret ;)

Which is to say that if the hub pilot were carrying the load, it would be moving by the amount of clearance between the wheel bore and the hub pilot every time the wheel rotated. Obviously that's not the case with how solidly aluminum wheels sieze onto the hub. All the weight is carried by the wheel being clamped to the hub by (5) 14mm bolts torqued to whatever ft/lb (mine are zapped on with a 100ft/lb torque stick, so about 110 ft/lb) making some absurd amount of clamp load (around 15k lbs times five lugs)

Last edited:

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
If it's anything like the noise I have it may be upper strut bearings. My noise it more of tick though. I happens when I hit the brakes, when I engage/disengage the clutch and when I get on and off the the accelerator.
I just replaced the passenger side upper strut bear and it does seem quieter. Maybe onto the driver's side.

JasonCzerak

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
Been a while since i posted around here! Sold my 01 Golf TDI a month or so ago, replaced it with a 2012 Wagon TDI w/dsg.

My only compliant is the sound system quality sucks.

Jon will be putting tunes in it shortly after VW gets their act together

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Did that blue A4 wagon ever get found?

Saw one that real bright blue, lowered, aftermarket wheels, debadged and LED plate lights in st. anthony an hour ago.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Cool, then I don't gotta wonder if I should have chased after the guy to see if it was a diesel.

DWNUNDR

TDI
03 Golf TDi
I have some rims off of a ford.. 5x112 I believe so they should fit some later VW's.. they have snow tires on them with at least 80% life left..

won them on an auction took a chance they would fit as there was no description for what they came off of... 16inch rims fyi

looking to get $400 obo

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/wto/5745849032.html

I am actually after bigger rims for my 03 Golf TDi or even a spare set of stockers for winter setup 5x110

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
5x100 for Mk4 Golfs, Jettas, and New Beetles.

Also, CL respondents will offer you $100 or $150 for 4 used tires and steel rims. You should hold out for at least $200-250, or a little more after the first significant snowfall.

Your ad should have Firestone Winterforce in bold, or at least a little more prominent. Maybe something about how well rated they are - are they?

JasonCzerak

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
I have some rims off of a ford.. 5x112 I believe so they should fit some later VW's.. they have snow tires on them with at least 80% life left..

won them on an auction took a chance they would fit as there was no description for what they came off of... 16inch rims fyi

looking to get $400 obo

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/wto/5745849032.html

I am actually after bigger rims for my 03 Golf TDi or even a spare set of stockers for winter setup 5x110

I'm rather interested in them. Give me a day to check a few things first

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
If you know someone with a junk car/harness, you should be able to salvage some bits.
I've got some junk like that at work, but that turns into an all day thing to save you a couple dollars.

One thing I've done is to cut the wire with a razor blade and pull it out of the seal, push the harness wire back through, strip it, and solder it to the crimped portion of the connector.

joey944

Veteran Member
TDI
03 TDI Jetta Wagon Auto, 03 Golf TDI 5sp.
Race pipe / egr

Howdy y'all!! Been forever! Long story (house, Kid, business etc...) Anyone have an egr valve or race pipe layin around for an ALH? Checking before I order something. Wife's car is weeping oil from the egr. Going to be cleaning the intake so I figure it's as good of time as any to replace it.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I've got my old EGR laying around, it's yours for free

money'd be nice, but heck, I cut up the intake that fits it, so I have no real use for it

Johnny Canola

TDI
03 Jetta Wagen TDI
I had an EGR delete installed and a SKL Motorworks Performance Chip KL-PRO1 put in but it is still throwing a engine light for low EGR flow. How do I correct this?? Is it affecting turbo boost or anything else??? Should I just ignore it??

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I had an EGR delete installed and a SKL Motorworks Performance Chip KL-PRO1 put in but it is still throwing a engine light for low EGR flow. How do I correct this?? Is it affecting turbo boost or anything else??? Should I just ignore it??
The good news is that the SKL Motorworks Performance Chip was cheap (I hope) so you are not out very much money.

The bad news is, as you know, that it doesn't really work, and certainly not in tricking your ECU into thinking that the EGR is functioning normally.

There are several people here in the area that can actually advise you, including answering whether the EGR delete is going to affect engine performance in cold weather.

My suggestion: remove the chip, place it on a hard surface like a concrete floor, then whack it several times with a hammer. It should take care of that problem. Then get a real custom tune (not a chip). But it's going to cost you a lot more than $39.95.

Johnny Canola

TDI
03 Jetta Wagen TDI
Thanks for the info Tornado, I'm still wondering if I should just ignore the check light or if I'm causing other issues i.e. "limp mode" type operations in other areas. I don't feel like investing $400 in a Malone tuner, I also don't need higher hp, I just want the best mpg and a clean intake hence the delete install.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Johnny, you don't need to invest $400 into a tune, its only $250+tax to do a Stage 1 tune with deletes, I'm local if you want it.

Ignoring a check engine light is always a bad idea unless you know exactly why its there and nothing else is causing it by keeping an eye on the codes.

FYI, your phone number is posted publicly in your sig, you might want to pull that out of there so you don't get frequent robo call spam :)

Falco

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
New member here wanted to introduce myself and thank everyone for contributing to this forum and resource. I just bought my first TDI, though I've been around them my whole life. I know just enough to understand the basics of a gas engine, diesel engines are a mystery to me thus far. Put a turboprop in front of me and I'm a bit more knowledgeable. Do the members here ever get together? I'd certainly love to start gleaning a little more knowledge from you all.