Trunk will not open

dzldoctor

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta 2006 Jetta manual 2004 Touareg TDI V10
The trunk will not release on the 02 jetta. I can hear the actuator move,but the trunk wont open. Dont open with the key or the fob. What to do? I can hear it move with the key also,but won't open.

Strykeviper

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5 speed swap, 2002 Jetta Wagon, 2015 Passat SEL, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen
Theres a plastic piece that the actuator pushes to release the trunk. Most likely it has broken, which is very common.

There are some places that sell kits to fix it for around $40. I fixed it on both of my jettas with JB Weld :D

sambagis

TDI
2001 jetta tdi
Yep, agreed the plastic piece has broken and you will have to climb in through the back seats. Bring a Philips head screw driver and a flashlight with you. There are 10 or 12 screws holding the backing of the trunk plate on around the outside edge, hard to see. Take those out and you should be able to access the mechanism that holds the trunk shut. Open the trunk and do your fixes from the outside looking in :). Have had to do this myself on two cars. Good luck

Strykeviper

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5 speed swap, 2002 Jetta Wagon, 2015 Passat SEL, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen
Theres a plastic piece that the actuator pushes to release the trunk. Most likely it has broken, which is very common.

There are some places that sell kits to fix it for around $40. I fixed it on both of my jettas with JB Weld :D
I went to open the trunk on my 2000 and it broke again, FML...

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
My recent experience in this may not matter much, depending on how similar the Jetta and Golf lock mechanisms are. (The Golf mechanism is akin to trying to push a door open by pushing against 3 people standing loosely shoulder to shoulder, with the middle one normally turned slightly askew but temporarily straightened by the electrical actuator. If he doesn't quite turn straight, your shove doesn't reach the door.)
Look at pictures first, and if it's not similar, never mind this.

I've never had anything break on my Golf, but it jammed up for the second time recently.
At first, it would sometimes refuse to open, but after another drive or so (or just waiting for the actuator to reset, and trying again) it often would.
Eventually it stopped workign altogether, and even more eventually, I started to look into it.
I climbed into the trunk, and sprayed some cheap electrical contact cleaner (the least messy creeping cleaner or lubricant I have) with the little red tube between trunk molding and lid molding, trying to aim it upward towards the inner lock mechanism.
I forget if any of it got up in there or if it was merely the cleaning of the latch that let the marginal mechanism move a little easier, but it opned immediately, and it was very obvious that gummed-up or lacking lubrication in the parts moved by the actuator and nearby were the problem.
I cleaned and lubricated both that and the latch, and identified the point of the linkage nearest the latch that will open the trunk for sure, if one just pushes it hard enough.

Then I measured out the location of that spot on the trunk lid trim panel, and drilled a finger-sized hole into the panel. Next time it sticks, all I have to do (if the single working folding seat release doesn't pack in by then) is climb in and stick my finger through the hole and push sideways.

I've been meaning to post the precise measurement for that hole (a few inches from the bottom, and slightly to the driver's side), since even when it's too late and the lid is utterly stuck, this surgery from inside the trunk is easy (easier with a Forstner or other large drill bit, but OK with a smaller bit and a knife) and works regardless of specific defect.

Something similar might work on the Jetta.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
be sure you give the trunk lid a good push and jiggle, they can seal pretty snug when not opened for a while

dzldoctor

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta 2006 Jetta manual 2004 Touareg TDI V10
Yep again you guys are right on. Crawled through the back seats and removed cover. The little linkage/plastic lever broke. Where to purchase a new one?