Any way to know a DPF regeneration is in process?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
So on a 160 mile round trip/day trip to some foothill destinations I experianced my 1st Polar FIS read Regen. Temps around 1200 degrees, lasted about 10ish minutes, knocked the soot level down to 0.0, and was 330 miles since last regen.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
VCDS trigger/start regn

Have searched here and elsewhere. I've found "trigger emergency regen" but just want to trigger a normal regen under optimum circumstances.

Semi-typical situation: just completing moderately long highway drive. Now doing the last little bit of neighborhood driving and, of course, it starts a regen. So now I've got a roaring fan car sitting in the garage for 10 minutes when anytime in the previous 1/2 hour of highway would have done a regen without even noticing.

So, check soot load before/during start of highway trip. If within X of regen, trigger it.

Question: is what is called triggering an emergency regen elsewhere the same as just a regen or can I trigger a regular regen in vcds and how?

Thanks much

Last edited:

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
I appreciate your opinion on this and it sounds right to me. But I have not seen anyone state that one should actively manage their regens to increase the lifespan of their turbo, until now.

The obvious next question is to see if managing one’s regens does actually extend the life of one’s turbo. To date, I have not heard that early turbo failure is a particular problem for the Gen6 TDIs compared to other TDIs. Given that, I don’t know if we can state that any early turbo failures with our cars can be attributed, at least partially, to interrupted regens. But maybe so...

What I’m trying to figure out is whether or not there is any value returned for the investment of personal time and fuel in actively managing one’s regens.

That said, I have a P3 vent gauge, and I will often let the car idle before shutting the engine off until the EGT on the display is below 400F or 30 seconds, whichever come first. That habit is leftover from a turbo Mitsu that I owned in the 90’s.

I too let my turbo cool below 400 degrees before I shut it down, I am certainly not going to shut it off when it is 1200 degrees.

Ktmracer358

TDI
2012 golf, 2013 jetta
I can always tell when mine is doing a regin. Unless I'm at highway constant speeds. The rpms hang at 1k. And the exhaust flap makes the rpms drop fast between shifts. I do have a manual so it's easier to feel. On my wife's dsg I could just tell by the rpm staying at 1k during stops

Sent from my REVVL 2 PLUS using Tapatalk

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
That's about the only positive thing with the fix. The regens are not as noticible now. They used to make the car run rougher and higher tach at idle (1000 vs 700). HNow, it's just keeping an eye on the tach when sitting at lights. Acceleration is slightly compromised during a regen.

former520

TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagen
Funny... my wife has a 13' and my daughter has a 15'..both passats..anyway they NEVER worry about the regens...My wife is near deaf (hearing fans?..LOL)..well even if she wasn't she would not care about "protecting" the dpf.. they both rack up the mile..both over 120,000 miles..still have original dpf's !!.. NOW mine a 2011' jetta has only 70,000 miles and I always let it finish the regen. (monitor scan gauge II). and have had 3..yes 3 dpf's replaced since fix at 46,000 miles... go figure!! Maybe the Urea helps theirs??
LOL, I feel you on this. I have been super neurotic on maintenance and mechanical sympathy only to watch others completely abuse equipment and have less issues.

As a personal experiment, I used a bike and didn't wash the chain after every ride, didn't adjust every 500 miles per manual. Low and behold, it lasted longer, I had more time back and less stress. I go with the philosophy of fluids and f-it! Keep up on basics and don't over due it.

Life has been easier since.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Increased rpm and rougher idle.