Calling all Michelin Hydroedge past and present users

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I am very close to buying this tire. I'm worried about snow performance: the tread seems very tight and looks like it would clog. Does anybody have any experience?
Thanks

Yes, I know it isn't a snow tire, but I don't want them to be a severe danger every time some snow is on the ground. For instance, I consider my michelin harmony (similar to exalto) more than adequate when new in the snow. I'm looking for exalto/harmony level performance, not snow tire performance

Last edited:

04tdidriver

TDI
04 Jetta GLS auto
When I bought my 04 Jetta it had the Hydroedge tires on it. I have not experienced any snow/ice in my area yet this winter. I was never a Michelin fan before I bought this car but now I wil only buy Michelin tires in the future. I'll let you know this, driving the hydroedge in a Kansas thunderstorm with pouring rain and hail the car was rock solid and planted to the road just like there was no water on it at all. I felt completely safe traveling at the posted speed limit (70mph). Check out the surveys on tire rack.com for the hydroedge, some drivers on there have driven them in the snow. Good Luck

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
I don't have them on my Passat, but I do have them on my 2002 Mazda MPV minivan. I have not had any problems with them in rain or snow. Slightly noisier than the original OEM tires (Dunlops - I hated them...), but that's a minor trade off dfor the superior all-weather performance.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I have these on my car. They don't seem to be super in snow.. being wider and with the narrow tread. But I can get around. The rain performance is AMAZING.

-Jason

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
I've been very tempted to buy them, but...

They only have an 89 load rating, and our cars are designed for 91...

Since we have a wagon (which weighs a bit more than the other A4's and occasionally is used to carry stuff), we decided to err on the side of caution in this regard and bought the MXV4's yet again...

The Hydroedge tires seem to be very, very good... (from everything I've read about them...)

Yuri.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
ymz said:
I've been very tempted to buy them, but...

They only have an 89 load rating, and our cars are designed for 91...

Since we have a wagon (which weighs a bit more than the other A4's and occasionally is used to carry stuff), we decided to err on the side of caution in this regard and bought the MXV4's yet again...

The Hydroedge tires seem to be very, very good... (from everything I've read about them...)

Yuri.
89 load rating? That's seems low. What size were you looking at? The 215/60R17s on my Mazda have a load rating of 96. The OEM dunlops were less than that. However the speed rating of the Michelins are T (118 mph) and the Dunlops were H (130 mph). But, I know I am safe given the Michelins have a better load rating and the MPV can't get anywhere close to 130 because it is wind drag limited to 108...

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
The Michelin Energy MXV Plus's also are 91 and are touted for their snow traction even though they are all-season. Best all around tire IMO. So far am on my fourth set and ready to get a fifth.

TM

raybo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW DSG White Gold
Two years ago I advised my friend to get the MXV4's on his Toyota Avalon (!!!). This time around I turned him on to the Exalto A/S. He agrees with my findings - incredible in rain and handling, and he's happy with the change. He said they're not as comfy as the MXV4's, but the change saved him close to $200 on the set at Costco.

Ray

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
raybo said:
Two years ago I advised my friend to get the MXV4's on his Toyota Avalon (!!!). This time around I turned him on to the Exalto A/S. He agrees with my findings - incredible in rain and handling, and he's happy with the change. He said they're not as comfy as the MXV4's, but the change saved him close to $200 on the set at Costco.

Ray
Yeah, smooth ride but predictable handling is the MXV4's strong point, as well as longevity and traction with good fuel economy.

TM

Wook660

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Red Jetta GL TDI 5 speed
We put a new set of hydroedge's on my girlfriends 02 Jetta, and in the heavy summer rains down here in FL, they are fantastic. That's there intended use as you already said, so I'm not too sure about the snow.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I have a set of Hydroedges on the wife's Buick, and we love them. Unfortunately, due to the too low a load wating for the size for the Jetta, I won't put them on it. Occassionally, we really load down the Jetta when we travel.

I'll look into the same Energys, or the Pilots.

--Nate

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
You won't be disapointed with the Exalto A/S, I had Hydroedge and swiched to the Exalto and love them, they handle better in all conditions including heavy rain .

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
got them, definate break-in but they are very nice now. Similar to harmony's they replaced but cheaper.

Very interested in their tread life on unmodified TDI and snow performance. Here in NH I should get a good idea of their snow performance before long...

dclark

Veteran Member
Goodyear Triple Treads are the best in the snow, way better than anything Mich makes. Just check out the tread with ramps that self cleans. I have driven them in the worst the sierra nevada mountains had to offer an only a lack of clearance will stop you if you have them. Go to tirerack.com and check out the reviews for yourself.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I stayed away from tripletreads because I heard you take a 3mpg hit on economy: that same wide open tread that is great for snow is not good for rolling resistance.

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
Well to add a response on the wear life on the hydroedges, I'm almost at the wear bars with 30 K miles ..I thought we were supposed to get alot more..

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
MXV4 Plus sneaks on my ride since new. Don't really push em, so I can't say how they handle, but I like the fact that they have a low rolling resistance. I have heard from a couple sources including a tire shop that they aren't that bad in the snow, but the first time I get stuck or slide off the road, I'm buying snows.

Anyone here have a comparison opinion about the difference btwn the MXV4 Plus vs. the MXV4 S8. From what I read, the S8 has the best rolling resistance out there. I just don't want to get them, then have to use snows when I could have just stuck with the Plus.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
laminated said:
Well to add a response on the wear life on the hydroedges, I'm almost at the wear bars with 30 K miles ..I thought we were supposed to get alot more..
WHAT?!

Im pretty sure they are warrentied for 90k!! Get your money back, Michelin is good about returns (from what I hear) as long as you have documented rotations and good care of the tires.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dunno513 said:
MXV4 Plus sneaks on my ride since new. Don't really push em, so I can't say how they handle, but I like the fact that they have a low rolling resistance. I have heard from a couple sources including a tire shop that they aren't that bad in the snow, but the first time I get stuck or slide off the road, I'm buying snows.

Anyone here have a comparison opinion about the difference btwn the MXV4 Plus vs. the MXV4 S8. From what I read, the S8 has the best rolling resistance out there. I just don't want to get them, then have to use snows when I could have just stuck with the Plus.
In Kentucky, I am staying with the MXV4 Pluses. If I were you, having lived in the North East, I would get 4 snows anyway, although I've used all-seasons in the past with my 1973 Audi 100LS and it was pretty good.

TM

Last edited:

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
2 year update/bump

The Michelin Pilot Exaltos have come to the end of their life, with 42,556 miles installed on a 2001 Jetta sedan. I found this thread because I'm searching for new tires, and again considering the Hydroedge, so this popped up.

The slightly disappointing treadwear on the Exaltos (warrantied for 45k) was partly due to the fact that they are directional tires and the right side of the car wore quicker than the left, leading to one right-side tire being no longer legal, whereas the others have maybe 3 to 4/32 (and should be replaced in any case). I have seen several people commenting recently that the right front wears quite a bit quicker, I'm assuming because the transmission doesn't split power evenly to the front wheels?

A quick review of the Exalto:
It's an excellent tire. The car "rides on rails" thanks to stiff sidewalls and dry traction is excellent. Snow traction was always on par with other A/S and they are very good in the rain.

I had some feathering and said uneven tirewear, but next time I will be sticking to 5k, 5k, and 10k rotations thereafter. I think I missed a rotation in the middle of these tires' lives. Either because of rotational-laziness or because they were at the end of their life, the tires became pretty noisy in the last 5-7k and winter traction was dangerous and hydroplaning common but predicable. This was no surprise to me; when an A/S tire goes into its last 25% of legal tread depth, these areas will decline rapidly. This is a TDI forum so I guess MPG matters; I consistently break 50 mpg for a tank, and had a >56 mpg tank with these on. These tires didn't hold me back. But I'm just one data point and correlating tires to mpg is difficult.

----
So what should I replace them with :confused: The major difference from my original post is that I now have dedicated snow tires; no more worrying about snow traction, no more worrying about the Hydroedge in that department.

I've looked at just about every 195 65R 15 tire under the sun, and entertained buying Cooper (CS4 Touring), Goodyear (TT), Nokian, and General (Altimax), but tonight I've finally just said, "Why abandon what works?" and think that I will stick with Michelin.

My priorities for a tire are: quiet & smooth on the highway at all reasonable speeds, strong enough sidwalls to avoid ANY spongy, floaty sensation, & good $/mile.

So:
• Hydroedge (now with Green X (increased silicia content over old Hydroedge I hear)): Doesn't meet load requirement. Concerns: road noise.
• Harmony: Doesn't meet load requirement. Cocerns: handling, wet weather performance when the tread wears down.
• Energy Saver (new release, my understanding is that its been in Europe for a while): Doesn't meet load requirement. Concerns: handling, wet weather performance when the thread wears down.

• Pilot Exalto. Concerns: $/mile.
• Primacy MXV4. Concerns: None really, although some on tirerack say it feels squishy. ARE THESE DIRECTIONAL?

Now a big question is whether I should eliminate these first choices based on their 89 rating, which corresponds to 1279 lbs/tire in the 195 65R 15 rather than the 1356 of the 91 rating. Please keep in mind I do not tow.

To air on the side of caution, I will assume that the car, when fully loaded, retains its empty weight distribution, when in fact I'd expect it becomes much closer to 50-50. Empty, the rear axle carries ~1200lbs and the front ~1800. I will again assume for sake of 'worst case scenario' that the car wasn't loaded well or the two fat arses were shotgun and right rear so that one side of the car is carrying 20% more payload weight than the other side.

The curb weight for ALH MK4 Jetta Sedan is just about 3000 lbs. The GVWR for my Jetta is 4023 lbs. So I have 1023 pound load on board (yeah, right, :rolleyes:). I'll say 60% of that load is still being carried by the front tires: 614 lbs. Of that 614 lbs, we will say the right front is carrying 20% more than the left front, or 368 lbs of the 614 lbs of payload on the front axle.

So the most stressed tire in this worst-case GVWR situation is carrying: 368 from payload + 900 lbs (1800/2 ) = 1268 lbs on the tire.

The MKIV Jetta is a small car. I just don't see a payload over >900lbs, ever. I don't see it possible to exceed the gross vehicle weight without trying to, because of its dimensions and particularly rear passenger space. For one, you can't fit five 200 lbs people in it. I might however, on occasion, carry 3 large people and a large payload for a roadtrip. So it is feasible that I might get three 200 lbs guys and their luggage. 400 pounds of gear in the trunk? I don't think so. Maybe 200.

Because the car struggles to fit four adults, and based on the above snenario, I would tend to agree with those who say Volkswagen was cautious with the 91 rating. I do not feel that I, nor almost anyone, will ever exceed 1279 lbs/tire and therefore will not eliminate the above tires on this basis, although a higher load and speed rating could imply better handling from its greater strength and reduced sidewall flex at high speed and thru corners.

Well that was a ramble and a half. Let me know if you have any suggestions, Michelin or not. I'll be purchasing in early August.

Regards.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
42556/45000 is 95% of rated life, and as you said you had more life on the left; I wouldn't complain at that!

My Pilot Exalto A/S set lasted just under 50k. They were shot. Replaced with another set that has about 30k on them now and are just over halfway worn. I love the stiff sidewalls, and the snow and rain performance is awesome too. I'm probably sticking with the Exaltos for a long time....

The Hydroedges I had on the Jetta were nice, lasted 28k, however MK3s are famous for wearing out the sides--the middle of the Hydroedge looked almost new. For this reason on the MK3 I run max sidewall pressure; this gives me max tire life.

On the MK4 I run 90% of max sidewall pressure.

In either case, the Hydroedge was noiser and had worse snow performance, but probably better wet performance. Was not as sporty due to the softer sidewall. Put a set of Kumhos on the MK3 and liked them for the most part, but they lasted about 18k. I think I'm sticking with Michelin on all my cars from now on. I was quite happy with the 50k out of the Exaltos on the MK4.

-BB

raybo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW DSG White Gold
I drive mostly highway and got over 50K on the Golf with Pilot Exalto A/S. I don't find them wearing unevenly. I'm on my second set now. As I have posted before, they handle great in the wet and in standing water. My wife, who usually doesn't notice anything about her Jetta, was amazed how the car cornered when I got her the PE A/S (replacing the MXV4 S8).

Ray

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
The new Energy Saver is NOT the same tyre we get over here; take any reviews of the Euro version with a pinch of salt.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
raybo said:
I drive mostly highway and got over 50K on the Golf with Pilot Exalto A/S. I don't find them wearing unevenly. I'm on my second set now. As I have posted before, they handle great in the wet and in standing water. My wife, who usually doesn't notice anything about her Jetta, was amazed how the car cornered when I got her the PE A/S (replacing the MXV4 S8).

Ray
I've got a set of Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2s (205/50R15) on my Mk3 right now. FANTASTIC tire. They're most definitely a high performance summer tire. Fantastic grip in the dry and enough grip in the wet that will outperform what many other tires do in the dry! Absolutely unreal.

I would not run these in the winter, though. That's what dedicated winter tires are for. Also, with a treadwear rating of 240, don't expect long-life.

For someone who enjoys driving like a crazy person, you can't beat em! But I suspect the cost/mile is less than optimal for many of you.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
FWIW, my wife's Buick has Hydroedges on it. They handle quite well and are long wearing, but there is a lot of tire (road) noise with this tire. It is so noticeable, I am begining to wonder if a tire is defective. The excess road noise was there from day one after these tires were installed.

--Nate

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I got 72k out of the original Energy MXV4+ on the B5, replaced them with the newer Energy S8 tire. I will likely get a little more life out of these it looks like, as at 89k miles now they are still like new.

Based on what I see in the shop, I will always run Michelins on my own vehicles and will only recommend them to others. You get what you pay for.

I would try and stay away from any directional tires or "buttcrack" radial rain tires as a general rule, however, as those tend to go square on FWD VAG cars.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Decision

Thanks everyone, I've narrowed it to a second set of Exaltos or the Primacy MXV4.

I'm fairly confident I'm going with the Primacy, mostly because it's not directional, giving me the added flexibility of rotating tires off the faster wearing right side, and I should get an extra 20,000 out of them over the Exalto (> $/mile)

I'll be purchasing a digital tire tread depth gauge with these tires, and I intend on doing 3 measurements per tire every 2,000 miles. I should have some cool data w/ graphs 60,000 down the road!

I'll post some initial impressions in a few weeks. I haven't seen too much on here about the Primacy MXV4, especially comparisons to the Exalto.