Brake Switch Failure Rate

naba

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GL TDI Black
I traveled from Houston, TX to Warren, OH to attend a funeral. An hour before I was at my destination I got the flashing glow plug indicator that the brake switch failure.

This will probably be the 3rd brake switch that I have replaced. In my normal driving day I go through alot of stop and go traffic. I was wondering if maybe my driving pattern is causing the failures.

How many brake switches have you replaced?

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Glow plug light

How do you know it is the brake light switch?:confused: Are the brake lights out? Flashing glow plug light can mean other things. Did you get the Cel code read?:confused:

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
__. Brake light switches on these cars are *cr@p*! There have been multiple recalls. Check with a stealer to see if you're in the recall VIN range. If not, be sure you get the latest switch ... they keep "improving" them.

naba

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GL TDI Black
How do you know it is the brake light switch?:confused: Are the brake lights out? Flashing glow plug light can mean other things. Did you get the Cel code read?:confused:
At the time I forgot my VAGCOM cable at home. I just replace the brake switch. When I got home I ran the autoscan and cleared the error that was given. No more blinking glow plug.

Brake light switches on these cars are *cr@p*! There have been multiple recalls. Check with a stealer to see if you're in the recall VIN range. If not, be sure you get the latest switch ... they keep "improving" them.
I did not bother with the recall. The switch I bought was about $4 I think. I made sure it was the lastest and greatest. I bought an extra one since they were so cheap.

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
Convert the rear lights to LEDs and you may never have the brake light switch fail again!!! :D The failure that I've seen involves the interruption of the current to the brake lights causing a small arc on the switch contacts, which will eventually lead to failure in any switch or relay. If you have the 5 brake light mod, it might even happen sooner, due to the increase in current. I've only changed the switch out 1 time, then did the LED conversion, and never had to touch it. Now that I've said that, it'll probably go this afternoon.:rolleyes:

-Rich

naba

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GL TDI Black
Now that I've said that, it'll probably go this afternoon.:rolleyes:
HAHAHA :p That usually how it happens. A few weeks before the brake switch failure I replaced the coolant sensor on my car. I was telling myself I finally fixed all of my issues. I was feeling good then the brake switch failure happens.

I have been thinking about changing out my tail light to the LEDs. I might do that as a Christmas present to myself later this year.

Question, If one of the LED lights go out are the easy to replace? Do you have to special order the lights?

Nutsnbolts

TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
I have ordered the LEDs from a company called Stylin' Concepts in the past, (they are online), and specifically ordered the direct replacement HB (hyper-bright) 1156's that are manufactured by a company called Jam-Straight. I've done all of the lights back there except the license plate lights, and you will need 4 "ballasts" to do the whole conversion (1 or 2 for the brake lights to keep the glow plug light from flashing at you all the time, and 2 for the directionals so that they don't blink at rediculously high speed. They are very easy to install, and I haven't had to replace one yet. I believe that there is a way to get around the ballast for the brake lights, but I haven't toyed around enough to do it yet. I never got around to playing with it once the install was complete 4 years ago, but I keep meaning to try a few things. I'll let you know if I get to it.

PS: Use red LEDs all around, even in the directional position... The yellow HBs get drowned out in bright sunlight, but the reds seem to show up OK.

-Rich

dukelukas

TDI
2016 Touareg 3.0L
I have a 2000 TDI. Sometimes the brake lights go out, then the GP light starts flashing. I'm guessing this is a clear case of brake light switch failure. But I just wanted to make sure before I go digging around.

The switch is located somewhere on the top of the pedal, under the dash? Thanks for any info on changing it if it's tricky in any way.

naba

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GL TDI Black
If you buy a brake switch from the dealer it should come with directions on how to replace it. If you do not get the directions, post here again and I will see if I can scan the directions in for you.

Nutsnbolts

TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
Duke:

Yep- you've got the symptoms of a bad brake light switch. To access it easily, you will have to pull off 5 panels:

1) Lower dash kick panel (horizontal panel above your feet.
2) Left and right dash panels under steering column- remove the left one first, and the panel that covers the fuse box will come out with it. Then you can get to the screws for the right panel.
3) The heavy metal dash reinforcement panel.

Once those are out of the way, just follow the instructions for the install. Piece of cake.

BTW- if you are small-bodied, you may fit under the dash and just removing the one panel might be enough. I unfortunately have been given the body and grace of a mad bear, so I had to make as much room as possible.

-Rich

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
I have changed all rear light bulbs with new ones, I replaced the brake light switch twice and last one with the latest upgraded one (green) and I am still getting a flashing glow plug light, any suggestions.

naba

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GL TDI Black
The glowplug will flash until you get the cel cleared on your car. You need to get with someone who has VAGCOM.

There is a VAGCOM Owners link on this site. I tried going to the link but I was unable to get to it.

http://tdiclub.com/links/

If the link still does not work I would go to the Regional Thread and post in your region for someone to that has VAGCOM.

Last edited:

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
naba said:
The glowplug will flash until you get the cel cleared on your car. You need to get with someone who has VAGCOM.

There is a VAGCOM Owners link on this site. I tried going to the link but I was unable to get to it.

http://tdiclub.com/links/

If the link still does not work I would go to the Regional Thread and post in your region for someone to that has VAGCOM.

I have Vag.com and I have cleared the fault code about 15 times and it still comes back.

naba

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GL TDI Black
What fault code are you getting? Is it the only fault that you are getting? Is it the same fault each time?

Jeece

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1999.5 TDI
I've had the flashing glowplug light for the first time twice this Summer. First time it began after I installed an upgraded ECU (along with a CEL). They lit up a few seconds after starting the car until I turned it off. It lasted for a week then disappeared suddenly, without a VagCom intervention. It was after I learned about the brake light switch.

Then a few weeks ago, the flashing glow plug light came back to taunt me. I then knew what it could mean, and I realized the brake lights weren't working. The trouble lasted for 2 days. It's working fine since then.

I know the BLS recall hasn't been done, I'll get an appointment at the dealer soon.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
Jeece said:
I've had the flashing glowplug light for the first time twice this Summer. First time it began after I installed an upgraded ECU (along with a CEL). They lit up a few seconds after starting the car until I turned it off. It lasted for a week then disappeared suddenly, without a VagCom intervention. It was after I learned about the brake light switch.

Then a few weeks ago, the flashing glow plug light came back to taunt me. I then knew what it could mean, and I realized the brake lights weren't working. The trouble lasted for 2 days. It's working fine since then.

I know the BLS recall hasn't been done, I'll get an appointment at the dealer soon.

Same here, when I got the upgraded ECU, I got the flashing glow plug light, I have not been able to fix it yet, the flashing comes on like 10 minutes of driving on the freeway, then when I step on the brakes it goes away, but it comes back, I chaged and I upgraded brake switch, and it is still doing it, and my cruise control is not working, so I am trying to figure out what it is. could it be the upgraded ECU?

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
naba said:
What fault code are you getting? Is it the only fault that you are getting? Is it the same fault each time?

27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

The same fault code,that is what I am getting,and after replacing all the rear stop light bulbs with new bulbs, and changing the brake switch with an uprgaded one. any thoughts?

dukelukas

TDI
2016 Touareg 3.0L
well I changed the switch this weekend and indeed it was wicked easy. Thanks for the advice.

The glow plug light no longer blinks, but the check engine is still on. I have a vag-com and I'll clear it tomorrow, then see what happens.

turbobooster

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS 5-speed (sold); 2011 Golf TDI 6-speed manual
I had my switch replaced at the dealer yesterday under the recall, and the light was still blinking when I left. I cleared it with Vag Com when I got home, but it comes back after 30 seconds. It's the same code every time for the brake switch, and it's the only code I have.

Did I get a bad switch?

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
turbobooster said:
I had my switch replaced at the dealer yesterday under the recall, and the light was still blinking when I left. I cleared it with Vag Com when I got home, but it comes back after 30 seconds. It's the same code every time for the brake switch, and it's the only code I have.

Did I get a bad switch?
Did you find out what was wrong with the blinking light? was it the switch? I am still getting it.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
turbobooster said:
I had my switch replaced at the dealer yesterday under the recall, and the light was still blinking when I left. (snip) Did I get a bad switch?
__. They can be pretty tricky to replace. It's possible to mis-set the trigger point and it's also easy to damage the operating parts of the switch when the switch is being replaced. Also, the switches are totally cheap and nasty items that often don't work (of course, that's very different from the other electrical components on a VW :rolleyes: -- and that's why they've had about 4 recalls on the switches). I'd definitely go back to the stealer (again ... ) and request the switch be replaced under the recall. And if the light is flashing when they return the car to you (again ...), don't accept it.

Jeece

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1999.5 TDI
I agree with MrGW up there.
The BLS (brake light switch) is cheap, but installation requires know-how and skill. Plus, my dealer said that there's no waranty whatsoever on the part if I change it myself - they offered to do it for free under recall.

During the last month or so, my GP light came on flashing steadily, and I noticed my brake lights weren't indicating my stopping intentions. :eek: Dealer changed my BLS for free.

What I think is weird is that the cruise control always stopped when I pressed the brakes, so there was still some kind of contact being made in the switch...

For the DIYers out there, or if the dealer doesn't honor the warranty: Installing a new brake light switch (without breaking it!) It's a little bit old, so I don't know if there's more actual revisions of the actual part number... But it gives you an idea of the work involved.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jeece said:
(snip) What I think is weird is that the cruise control always stopped when I pressed the brakes, so there was still some kind of contact being made in the switch... (snip)
__. Yeah, if the cruise was working at all, there was at least some contact being made by the POS switch. On MzLauraLee's waggin, there was no cruise at all when her brake switch went out.

__. Of course, if the cruise goes out when the brake light switch is faulty, you have to pay the stealer a $90 "computer reset fee" for them to turn it back on again -- that's what the stealer told MzLauraLee. She told them that I'd be home in a couple of days and I'd turn it back on with VAG-Com if need be. The tech was still standing there open-mouthed when she drove away; her brake lights worked just fine and the cruise worked, too. Without paying a $90 "computer reset fee".