Columbus/Central Ohio Third Friday GTG Thread

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
For some reason I thought tomorrow wasn't the third Friday, so here's tomorrow's GTG posting.

December 2016's GTG will be at:

O'Charley's
2272 Baltimore-Reynoldsburg Rd, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (Google Map)
http://ocharleys.com

December 16, 2016 at 6:00 PM Eastern.

Please post in this thread if you're planning on coming to the get together this month, so we know how many people to expect.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
So, seeing as we've had the last GTG of the year, I think it'd be a good idea to talk about next year.

Right now, this is what I've got for a calendar:

January: El Vaquero, Gahanna
February: Piada, Gahanna
March: Max & Erma's, Gahanna
April: Nothing - this is where Mykonos used to be, but they closed down
May: Piada, Dublin
June: Nutcracker, Pataskala
July: Jason's Deli, Polaris
August: Wingstop, near Reynoldsburg
September: Bangkok, 33 and Refugee
October: Los Guachos, Gahanna
November: Mr. Sushi, Gahanna
December: O'Charley's, Reynoldsburg

Glen (MOGolf) suggested we try Cucinova, and I'm game for adding that to the calendar for April, the only question is, which location? Their Westerville location looks to have poor parking, their Grandview and Easton Town Center locations don't appear to have a full menu, so I think Polaris or Dublin will be the best bet, and I'm guessing Polaris is going to be better for everyone?

Personally, I'd like to see more local restaurants, less national chains on the list - Columbus has a lot to offer food-wise, and I'd like to see us explore that. That means that O'Charley's, Max & Erma's (yes, it's from Columbus, but it's still a big chain), Jason's Deli, and Wingstop are all ones that I personally could see being replaced - they're all good, but I'd personally kinda like to try other things. (Also, do we need Piada on the rotation twice? It's good, and I know we have it there so that we can have a west side GTG, but I feel like we could use one of those slots for something else.)

Does anyone want to see anything else replaced, or have suggestions for other places to try?

Another thing I'd like to talk about, and this has been brought up before at the get togethers... this get together is a lot smaller than the old days. That's actually why I put this thread on the forums, to try to attract some new people to the get together. However, some of us (myself included) have moved on from TDIs, and I don't think there's going to be that many new people finding this get together on these forums.

Would there be interest in extending this get together to other automotive communities, if they don't have their own get togethers in the area? And, if so, which communities?

Debra Morgan

Veteran Member
TDI
Memories of a fantastic 2015 Jetta
So, seeing as we've had the last GTG of the year, I think it'd be a good idea to talk about next year.

Right now, this is what I've got for a calendar:

January: El Vaquero, Gahanna
February: Piada, Gahanna
March: Max & Erma's, Gahanna
April: Nothing - this is where Mykonos used to be, but they closed down
May: Piada, Dublin
June: Nutcracker, Pataskala
July: Jason's Deli, Polaris
August: Wingstop, near Reynoldsburg
September: Bangkok, 33 and Refugee
October: Los Guachos, Gahanna
November: Mr. Sushi, Gahanna
December: O'Charley's, Reynoldsburg

Glen (MOGolf) suggested we try Cucinova, and I'm game for adding that to the calendar for April, the only question is, which location? Their Westerville location looks to have poor parking, their Grandview and Easton Town Center locations don't appear to have a full menu, so I think Polaris or Dublin will be the best bet, and I'm guessing Polaris is going to be better for everyone?

Personally, I'd like to see more local restaurants, less national chains on the list - Columbus has a lot to offer food-wise, and I'd like to see us explore that. That means that O'Charley's, Max & Erma's (yes, it's from Columbus, but it's still a big chain), Jason's Deli, and Wingstop are all ones that I personally could see being replaced - they're all good, but I'd personally kinda like to try other things. (Also, do we need Piada on the rotation twice? It's good, and I know we have it there so that we can have a west side GTG, but I feel like we could use one of those slots for something else.)

Does anyone want to see anything else replaced, or have suggestions for other places to try?

Another thing I'd like to talk about, and this has been brought up before at the get togethers... this get together is a lot smaller than the old days. That's actually why I put this thread on the forums, to try to attract some new people to the get together. However, some of us (myself included) have moved on from TDIs, and I don't think there's going to be that many new people finding this get together on these forums.

Would there be interest in extending this get together to other automotive communities, if they don't have their own get togethers in the area? And, if so, which communities?
Yes to getting rid of chains and yes to moving this beyond TDI. I think we need to just advertise somehow locally as a group of people who enjoy going out to eat and talking about cars.

Most of my automotive forums have become rather strange and non enthusiast oriented, would love to meet other actual automotive enthusiasts.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
I almost feel like this would be a "Cars and Dinner", as a counterpart to a "Cars and Coffee".

And, looks like there's two events calling themselves "Columbus Cars and Coffee" - one for exotic cars, and one for every kind of car enthusiast. I might have to check that second one out...

Debra Morgan

Veteran Member
TDI
I almost feel like this would be a "Cars and Dinner", as a counterpart to a "Cars and Coffee".

And, looks like there's two events calling themselves "Columbus Cars and Coffee" - one for exotic cars, and one for every kind of car enthusiast. I might have to check that second one out...

I went to the one for every kind of enthusiast, kind of nice.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
So, right now, I've got the calendar as in my previous post, with the addition of Cucinova replacing Mykonos for April.

Any other suggestions for locations?

I'm gonna go ahead and post the January GTG, though.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I have tried the Piza cucinova at Easton and found it Lacking compared to the MOD Pizza in Gahanna on Hamilton Rd. MOD Pizza is less expensive, and has better crust (more crispy than dough like) so my Vote goes there instead of Cucinova.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Proposal: How about we replace the May get together, which is currently at Piada in Dublin, with Cafe Istanbul in Dublin?

http://cafeistanbuldublin.com/

That'd remove a duplicate, it'd maintain a Dublin GTG, the parking's better there, and it'd also bring some more Mediterranean cuisine back onto the calendar (after we lost Mykonos).

Debra Morgan

Veteran Member
TDI
Proposal: How about we replace the May get together, which is currently at Piada in Dublin, with Cafe Istanbul in Dublin?

http://cafeistanbuldublin.com/

That'd remove a duplicate, it'd maintain a Dublin GTG, the parking's better there, and it'd also bring some more Mediterranean cuisine back onto the calendar (after we lost Mykonos).

Works for me, I should be at the next GTG...Jetta has not been sold back to VW yet....

bhtooefr

TDI
None
I'll also be at the next GTG, because it doesn't conflict with the Detroit Auto Show GTG this time.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
February 2017's GTG will be at:

Piada
4697 Morse Rd, Columbus, OH 43230 (Google Map)
http://mypiada.com

February 17, 2017 at 6:00 PM Eastern.

Please post in this thread if you're planning on coming to the get together this month, so we know how many people to expect.

myke_w

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI Wagon
I think I'll be there. Probably a good idea to come and meet some of the people I've been talking to for the last 15 years :p

bhtooefr

TDI
None
March 2017's GTG will be at:

Max & Erma's
1317 N Hamilton Rd, Gahanna, OH 43230 (Google Map)
http://maxandermas.com

March 17, 2017 at 6:00 PM Eastern.