Omaha, NE chat thread

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
Daniel-O said:
It was the anti shudder valve suck closed!!! So anyone want to have a GTG and do an intake cleaning party???
dang.... not even one of the things i suggested to you. i'm glad you got it worked out.

intake cleaning is a very messy job, meaning you'll end up covered in the blackest gunk you've ever seen in your life. the actual wrench work isn't that difficult, but you've got a lot of parts to take out so it takes a little while. i'd be glad to help you with the cleaning, just let me know when you'd like to do it.

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
FEELER: GTG March 22nd

how do people feel about a GTG March 22nd? i'll be working on my Appleseed this weekend so i'll have enough material to discuss w/ the OWH reporter, and i really want to have the processor running by Earth Day, April 22nd.

so.... Omaha Biodiesel GTG March 22nd??

Boiler84

TDI
2004 Passat Wagon GLS TDI
22nd March Bad for Me

Sorry! Saturdays are out for me until after Mother's Day. I really do want to see the system in action and hear how the biodiesel works.

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
Boiler84 said:
Sorry! Saturdays are out for me until after Mother's Day. I really do want to see the system in action and hear how the biodiesel works.
march 23rd is a perfectly viable option. you're the first one to reply, so i can change things to accomodate. does that sunday work?

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
MrErlo said:
march 23rd is a perfectly viable option. you're the first one to reply, so i can change things to accomodate. does that sunday work?

Are you aware that March 23rd is Easter day? So, no business for me on that day.:)

KS97Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat sedan, 1997, maroon, 129k mi.
Yeah, I'll observe Resurrection Sunday and I have a conflict on Saturday too. I'm itching for a GTG, though.

Last edited:

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
just saw this thread...I work in omaha but live about 70 miles south. Slowly I am working out my problems....overboost issues.

I'm pretty sure I need an intake cleaning sometime soon also. I made the vag-com change at about 60k and I have 225,000 now.

Does anyone know how good the vag-com adjustments works...if it works?

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
KS97Passat said:
Yeah, I'll observe Resurrection Sunday and I have a conflict on Saturday too. I'm itching for a GTG, though.
good point Losha/KS97. i didn't really think that one all the way through before i sent out the feeler. i'll come up with another date and let people know.

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
newbeetleman said:
Does anyone know how good the vag-com adjustments works...if it works?
which "adjustments" are you referring to? you mentioned the intake cleaning... are you talking about the "EGR duty cycle turn down" mod? cuz i had Nitrowolf do that for me about 2 months after i got my car. i can't say whether or not it's worked... maybe in another 40,000 or so i'll pull my intake off and see.

if you were referring to another VagCom mod, please let us know. i'm sure someone will be able to help you out.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
MrErlo said:
which "adjustments" are you referring to? you mentioned the intake cleaning... are you talking about the "EGR duty cycle turn down" mod? cuz i had Nitrowolf do that for me about 2 months after i got my car. i can't say whether or not it's worked... maybe in another 40,000 or so i'll pull my intake off and see.

if you were referring to another VagCom mod, please let us know. i'm sure someone will be able to help you out.
Yes, it works great but also hurts some mpg sometimes, on some cars. But if you drive your TDI at WOT once a day and don't let idle much then cloging intake is not going to be big issue.

Boiler84

TDI
2004 Passat Wagon GLS TDI
Self-Dimming Mirror Install

I bought the mirror, now I need the wiring and plub to install it. I need a new windshield too. I believe for a B5.5 the mirror base on the glass is the same for all mirrors. Any ideas other than dealer for the wiring plug and supplies? I have the threads about installing the different mirrors.

Once I figure out the installation items, I will be putting this puppy in! I miss the self-dimming function from the last car I had.

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
MrErlo said:

yeah, that is it!

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
newbeetleman said:
yeah, that is it!
contact user Nitrowolf directly. i'm sure other people know the correct VagCom codes etc... but he's very polite and from KC. so there's a good chance you'll get to meet him IRL soon enough anyway.

there's just a variable that you adjust from factory setting to user desired value. i don't know which field it is, or what value you're looking for. i believe mine is set to "200,000", but don't quote me on that.

Daniel-O

TDI
TDI not available in Japan... but my 1996 Toyota Town Ace van has a 2.2L turbo diesel
We tried out the Nebraska brewing Co. In the shadow lakes shopping center, It was good and the Amber beer was quite good... Thanks to those who suggested it!!! I also got a new toy that day! Nikon D80 with the 18-200mm lens very nice set up... so we need a GTG so I can get pix of folks!!!

Dan

Vhunter

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 silver Jetta 5spd TDI
Bio-brew

Hi,
I'd be interested in seeing the bio-brewing, or just talking to someone who does it would be good too. I have to work every other weekend, so
won't make it down there the 29/30, but maybe some other time.
Sundays are better for me if I am off that weekend! :)
Laters!

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
i met with Robert Byrnes from the Nebraska Renewable Energy Association today, he was very friendly and very helpful. as we work towards an "Omaha Biodiesel Co-op" in the coming months, i think he will be an excellent resource for both technical information, as well as legal mumbo-jumbo navigation.

i recommend everyone join the NeREA, their newsletters will help everyone stay up to date regarding renewable energy news specifically in Nebraska. i will be inviting Robert down to join us for the upcoming GTG (date still remains to be set in stone...) hopefully he will be able to share his experiences with homebreawing.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Well I thought I better check in here too. I'm a new owner but a longtime lurker.

Looking forward to the next meet. I'll have my buddy from Lincoln come too. He took 4th at USAC Nationals in SoundQ with his 06 TDI this year.

See ya guys!

jumpn

Veteran Member
TDI
former 2003 gls Jetta
owh

MrErlo, have a good lunch with the World Herald lady tomorrow. That would be cool to see a big write-up on the TDI and alternative fuel stories. Let us know how it goes. Later, Jumpn

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
Mrrogers1 said:
See ya guys!
great to have you MrRogers. i think omaha is one of the most well documented TDI cities around, so i'm sure we'll see you out there and stick you up in the sightings thread.

jumpn said:
MrErlo, have a good lunch with the World Herald lady tomorrow.
lunch has been moved to Wednesday and vwcampin (Shelby) will be joining me. that way we've got biodiesel and WVO both covered, and i'll be able to back up my claim that there are a number of TDI drivers in omaha. i'll be sure to let everyone know when the article comes out.

Daniel-O said:
So any further Info on a GTG?
i met with Robert Byrnes the president of the NeREA last weekened, he's very nice and will be a great resource as we move towards an Omaha Biodiesel Co-op. my brother is in town all this week, we did put on his TDIClub plate holders last night, put on the Bosch "Micro Edge" wiper blades, and did his ventectomy. he's looking forward to doing some more mods this week, we're ordering the FM-100 and heater this afternoon.

so i guess what i'm saying is... i don't have anything specific to work on right now, i hope Scott will have the filter to do this Saturday. anyone is welcome to join us for a mini-GTG, more of a meet in person kinda deal. we'll be at

1139 S 93rd Ave

Saturday March 22
11:00am - 6:00pm

anyone is welcome to drop by, if you have any minor work you'd like to do you'll be welcome to take care of it then. i have 1 set of ramps if you need to get under a car, i might order some Elf 506.01 to do oil changes for my car and my brothers.

anyone else have any specific work they'd like to do this saturday?

there will be a homebrewing GTG and processor building day coming up very soon, April 12th is looking like the likely date. same location, the garage will be cleaned by then so we'll have room to put the processor together.

Daniel-O

TDI
TDI not available in Japan... but my 1996 Toyota Town Ace van has a 2.2L turbo diesel
I can't say i'll be there yet... I think my wife has plans for me that saturday... but I'll see if I can swing by. The 12th seems like a real possibility!

Dan

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
Thanks to Eric for inviting me along for the interview today. I think it went well and we gave the reporter a lot of information to digest. We'll keep everyone updated as things progress. Hopefully a mention of TDIClub will make the final article:)

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
RC 1 or 1+ Anyone??

Hey Guys, I wanted to check and see if any of you are running a RC1 or the RC1+ in either a 06 PD 5M or DSG? I have a DSG and Jeff told me I should try to drive someones car with it to see how I like AND my best friend has the 5M and we'll both be doing the chips at the same time.

I know a GTG is in the works (mini might work out for me) but no date has been set and I'm trying to get my "expenses" out of the way before summer time. :D

Last edited:

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
the meeting with the OWH went well, we had WVO and BioD well represented. i'll make sure to post the article when it comes out. i specifically saw her write down TDIClub.com on her note pad after i mentioned it several times.

jumpn

Veteran Member
TDI
former 2003 gls Jetta
Jettawolfs98, Julio, are you still around? I haven't seen you post, nor have I seen you around the neighborhood lately. Are you OK?

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Omaha neighboorhood watch police, let see if any of you guys would be able to spot me tomorrow morning driving to Sedalia, MO.:D I would be in Omaha area around 8-9am.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
KS97Passat said:
Jumpn, your signature doesn't list a TDI anymore. What's the story?
He sold it couple months ago, if you go up few posts you will find him posting that he is going to sell/trade his jetta.