Audi A4 B5 Quattro awx/avf swap...

Dutchie

TDI
A4 B5 1.8t
Bonjour, good day to all.
I was wondering if a 1.9tdi awx/avf fits in My car.
I already know i have to convert My car to drive by wire, and that i Will need a diesel Quattro gearbox.
But whatever about the rest.
Is het harness plug and play, pr do i need a different diesel loom.
Will a b6 gearbox fit My car. Will the B5 diesel Quattro box bolt up to the awx.
I hope to fond soms anders with the help of u Guys!!!
Thanks in advance,
Dutchie

K1Cowboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Audi S4 AFN TDI
Your B5 is most likely not a can bus wiring system and your gauges and things are gonna be a challenge to do with an AWX/AVF. The AFN is more of what you would want to use, as it came in the A4 overseas and is not can bus. The AFN even shares the same block as the 1.8T.

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
Being here in the states I am not familiar with the motors your looking at. I just finished an A4 quattro with an ALH. (b5 2001) Except for not being able to work straight through without interruptions, It was a piece of cake...now for tune and injectors.

Dutchie

TDI
A4 B5 1.8t
Your B5 is most likely not a can bus wiring system and your gauges and things are gonna be a challenge to do with an AWX/AVF. The AFN is more of what you would want to use, as it came in the A4 overseas and is not can bus. The AFN even shares the same block as the 1.8T.
But the afn isnt a pd engine right?
Is it possible to het 250hp with this engine?
Preferably i want to swap to a pd engine.

Last edited:

Dutchie

TDI
A4 B5 1.8t
Being here in the states I am not familiar with the motors your looking at. I just finished an A4 quattro with an ALH. (b5 2001) Except for not being able to work straight through without interruptions, It was a piece of cake...now for tune and injectors.
2001 is a fl right?
So u have canbus then
What power did you het from it?

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
Not sure what fl is. There is can buss in this ecu, but it is minimal. When tuned should be around 170 hp 300 tq.
My son is swapping a b5 with a bhw...2 liter pump duese....has more can buss, so we'll see how that goes.

Dutchie

TDI
A4 B5 1.8t
Not sure what fl is. There is can buss in this ecu, but it is minimal. When tuned should be around 170 hp 300 tq.
My son is swapping a b5 with a bhw...2 liter pump duese....has more can buss, so we'll see how that goes.

Fl is facelift
The car i have is a pre facelift without canbus.
Does your son have a thread on tdiclub? I Will look in to it

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, yes mine is a facelift, his is not. No thread on the club for either. Done a lot of swaps. Time to document them is just not there

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I also have a pre-facelift A4 Avant TDI quattro with AFN engine. Any engine will theoretically go in there, the easiest will be those already found in the A4 / 3B Passat. CANBUS is not an issue to swap if you have the complete wiring harness from a donor car and you have some skills and lots of patience. Good engine for your car could be a BGW/BHW 2.0 PD TDI from the 3BG Passat.

Nevertheless, 250 HP is not too difficult to achieve in an AFN. Someone has posted in the Performance section with 290 HP.

Dutchie

TDI
A4 B5 1.8t
I also have a pre-facelift A4 Avant TDI quattro with AFN engine. Any engine will theoretically go in there, the easiest will be those already found in the A4 / 3B Passat. CANBUS is not an issue to swap if you have the complete wiring harness from a donor car and you have some skills and lots of patience. Good engine for your car could be a BGW/BHW 2.0 PD TDI from the 3BG Passat.

Nevertheless, 250 HP is not too difficult to achieve in an AFN. Someone has posted in the Performance section with 290 HP.
Thanks for the quick reply. The 2.0 TDI engines are pretty scarse even here.

BTW i Just asumed the pd engines are all lots better than conventional TDI engines. Is this treu or not.
And what gearbox is best for it. The 5 speed in My car is way to short, do a diesel gearbox nerds to be swapped as well. But what fits and what abuse can it handle. And is there a easy way to look up the gearbox and Final Gear of My car?

K1Cowboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Audi S4 AFN TDI
I second that to talk to Frans, he sold me my complete conversion and he is very knowledgeable. I used an O1E from a V6 TDI because it had a taller 6th gear. It works great with a tune that can power the car. The AFN is a VE motor. In my opinion it is more reliable and does not require a lift pump. It's older technology but you can still get a lot of power out of it and parts are cheap and plentiful.

Dutchie

TDI
A4 B5 1.8t
Thanks for the replies about Frans, Will government hun a call tomorrow.
In other light, another question. My car doesnt have canbus. But of i take a canbus engine, Will it run? OR do i need to delete the canbus part...and of i take a canbus engine how far can i go? For example: van i Just take any engine from An A4 b7 OR A6 C6?

Dutchie

TDI
A4 B5 1.8t
Soooooo.... Its been a long time... Due to a jobchange i need tot drive a TDI ASAP�� so the project is back on. I did some research again and found out that till 2005 no 1.9tdi engine has canbus. is it difficult to program, for example, a arl engine in the B5 chassis?

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
I believe the ARL/PD150 only came in the MK IV Golf/Jettas. If so, then this engine is a transverse mounted where you need longitudinal.

The AVF is a PD130 and readily available in Europe.

Dutchie

TDI
A4 B5 1.8t
I believe the ARL/PD150 only came in the MK IV Golf/Jettas. If so, then this engine is a transverse mounted where you need longitudinal.
The AVF is a PD130 and readily available in Europe.
Both are pretty common here.
But is the avf as tunable as the arl?