Car problem

Raelynn99

TDI
2002 tdi vw jetta
Hi I have a 2002 tdi vw Jetta with over 500 thousand km and it started fine even -30 weather one day I go to start it and I have a hard time getting it started but it started an hour later I go out and it cranks but won’t start we changed the fuel filter and the fuel pump but still nothing does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
got a volt meter? check the fuel shut off solenoid (round pill looking thing with a wire on the top) on the IP (fuel pump on the engine) Put the red on the wire and the black on the batery - terminal. DC volts. when the key is on the on position, you must have 12v. if you dont, pull your 109 relay out, tapp it a few times and put it back in. If you test the relay it might be bad, its a standard 5 pin 30/40amp relay you can get anywhere.

Crack open the 3rd fuel injector line with using 2 wrenches and crank if, you should have fuel spraying out of it, just crack it open but not off. If you dont, and the 109 relay is good then your out of fuel in the IP and it needs to prime.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
What fuel pump did you change, the $800 one?
Lot of things it could be, glow plug system maybe.

Raelynn99

TDI
2002 tdi vw jetta
Thank you Mongler98 I’m gonna try that and BobnOH the cheap one the one under the back seat

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The one under the back seat is just a sending unit. Your 02 has only one fuel pump and it’s run by the timing belt.

I’m not sure where in Canada you’re located but I hear it can be cold up there, unlike here in northern PA where it’s sunny and seventy almost all winter long. You probably experienced some fuel gelling and now the injection pump (fuel pump) is dry or has air, you’ll need to prime and bleed it. A mity vac works great for this kind of job.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
word of advice, never buy parts untill you find the problem. you need some basic diagnostic tools like a volt meter. you could have tested the fuel pick up vs spending a few $$. treat your fuel once its running just incase this is a jell up.