04 golf hard starting after harness and glow plugs

e_v_a_n

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW TDI 6M
Hey all
So yes, I searched. Still can't figure it out...
Car starts hard when cold (freezing and below), takes maybe 10 seconds of cranking after key left in on position until glow plug light goes out. Kind of stumbles to idle.
I replaced both harness and glow plugs. P0671 to p0674 codes thrown. Once it starts, it runs well.
What else can I check?

k_pt

Veteran Member
TDI
VW MKIV TDI
Were the codes clear and the same codes come again? Do you know your compression values?

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
What is the brand and part number of the glow plugs you replaced the old ones with?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I think there was a recall/reflash of the ecu on 2004's, has that ever been done? Something about 5v vs 7v glow plugs.

How does your cam look?

How old is your starter?

Hussman

TDI
2003 VW Jetta ALH TDI 5 speed
I know on my old BEW I had to cycle the glow plugs at least 2-3 times if its under 0 degrees fahrenheit. Mine started -25 quite a few times, but it wasn't liking it. I now have an ALH and have noticed the glow plug light stays on much longer than my BEW did.

Good luck,

Hussman

k_pt

Veteran Member
TDI
VW MKIV TDI
You can change the glow plug time with VCDS. Also ALHs usually have higher compression values, which help ignite diesel easier.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
You can change the glow plug time with VCDS. Also ALHs usually have higher compression values, which help ignite diesel easier.
Not on a 2004 BEW engine without tuner intervention.

e_v_a_n

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW TDI 6M
I'll have to check the brand and part for glow plugs replaced..
The ECU reflash is a good question! Thank you for that, I'll check with the dealer
Thanks all for your input

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, you need to know what plug goes in your engine, your car may or may not have been modified to use a different voltage plug. Would have been a hardware (plugs) and software (ECU) modification. Harness, relay remained unchanged as far as I know.
Sounds like you're all over that stuff, once sorted out we can move on to the other things.

e_v_a_n

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW TDI 6M
Just wanted to update this (I hate it when people fix things then don't share the results)
After some investigating it turns out the ecu was flashed for 7v glow plugs. I bought some new ones, and now it starts great in these cold MN mornings