TDIclub Secret Society of BMW Owners (SSBMWO)

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Seriously considering a 2014 BMW 535d that is mostly loaded. Only thing it doesn't have that I'd like is the M Sport Package.
Any wisdom to share before it pull the trigger?
Has about 46,000 miles on it now.
Thanks,
ben
That sounds like a very low miles car. Great! You should get a few years of fun driving out of it before the DPF and SCR issues rear up. Just be ready to not fall into the nickle and dime trap trying to keep the poorly designed emissions systems going. Nice to have another Phoenix d on the road.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
We made a “lateral” trade with our dieselgate money and got us a 7 seater!

2011 x5 35d
96000 miles
3rd row, 19” 335s instead of the 20’s, rear dvd, Black sport seats, comfort access,

Flew to Seattle and drove it home in time for Christmas Eve
Seattle Portland Redwoods and San Francisco all without the two kids!.

The driving experience really is the ultimate. Comparing any of my Volkswagens to this would be a fallacy. The steering and suspension really do make this vehicle, it feels like a smaller car instead of an SUV. Wife even loves this thing! She said she didn’t care if we ended up with a pilot, but find the right specimen x5 before Christmas and we can go! Now she wants to be the one driving all the time.

Need some emissions things taken care of (in warranty) and I just changed the thermostat and waterpump. 25mpg through the trip on a bad thermostat. We will see what we can do locally.

Horrible iPhone pictures that the server likes to ruin the orientation on.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Seriously considering a 2014 BMW 535d that is mostly loaded. Only thing it doesn't have that I'd like is the M Sport Package.
Thanks,
ben
I'm also considering this.

Test drove a E250 Bluetec and a 535D.. I like the 535D better.

But I'd be removing the DEF and DPF shortly after purchase and getting it tuned.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Welcome to the club, Kooyajerms. Nice looking. And the X5's not bad either.

I tried to talk my wife into an X5 35d so we could pull a pop up camper, but she says she's done with SUV's, and the DPF crap I've had with my 335d has soured her on diesels.

Armourbl

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4DR
That sounds like a very low miles car. Great! You should get a few years of fun driving out of it before the DPF and SCR issues rear up. Just be ready to not fall into the nickle and dime trap trying to keep the poorly designed emissions systems going. Nice to have another Phoenix d on the road.
Not exactly what I was hoping to hear. Put eyes on the car today, but couldn't drive it. Will have to return another day. Car wasn't perfect, but not bad either. Some stains on the headliner and B pillars -- hard to determine why. Asked sales rep about and he assured me they'd take care of it. Also a door ding in the left rear quarter panel that got through the paint. Otherwise, probably the usual wear and tear scratches.

By comparison though, there was a same year 328d there that looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Whoever had that car really took care of it. Loved it, but a tad too small for me and priced higher than the 535d.

I can't believe that I'm honestly ready and able to buy a car and can't really find anything as of yet that screams "TAKE MY MONEY!" Maybe driving the 535d will change my mind.

I'm used to the somewhat expensive repairs/maintenance from the TDI, but not sure how reliable I can trust the beemer to be by comparison.

ben

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Thanks Nick, yeah if this stuff goes bad soon after the warranty claim, I may need to figure out an Alphabet Delete in Los Angeles. We’ll see. I would have liked the 20’s but there is a definite cost to those. but I really like those extended fender flares.

I spend most of my time on Facebook with NA BMW diesel group. Get to watch what’s usually wrong with these vehicles there. The help is usually quick too when I have a question.

Armourbl it took 3 months to find the one I wanted. Literally every day checking what was offered. Many sold within 24 hours when it’s right. Watch cargurus and Autotrader and be willing to travel if you want some specific packages. Too many beige and oyster interiors, no thanks.

bartmax

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 2002 Jetta wagon
new owner 2010 335d

I now have a 2010BMW 335d, who works on them in the local Rhode Island, SE Mass area?

thanks
Scott
still have my 2 ALH wagons!

Armourbl

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4DR
Thanks Nick, yeah if this stuff goes bad soon after the warranty claim, I may need to figure out an Alphabet Delete in Los Angeles. We’ll see. I would have liked the 20’s but there is a definite cost to those. but I really like those extended fender flares.
I spend most of my time on Facebook with NA BMW diesel group. Get to watch what’s usually wrong with these vehicles there. The help is usually quick too when I have a question.
Armourbl it took 3 months to find the one I wanted. Literally every day checking what was offered. Many sold within 24 hours when it’s right. Watch cargurus and Autotrader and be willing to travel if you want some specific packages. Too many beige and oyster interiors, no thanks.[/QU

OTE]

Thanks for the suggestions.

Deletes are definitely an option where I live. My truck has full deletes and has been trouble free as a result. Will need to find out for peace of mind that people don't encounter trouble where I live with these cars and deletes when going for emissions testing.

Interestingly enough, my truck passes the particulate test with flying colors despite having the deletes... They just do a visual check that I have a cat and the exhaust sniff. That is it.

ben

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
I'm used to the somewhat expensive repairs/maintenance from the TDI, but not sure how reliable I can trust the beemer to be by comparison.
ben

Expect the emissions stuff to fail between 80k-140k miles. At least once.

But this is my second BMW. My first was a 318ti, which was by far the most reliable, cheapest to own/operate and fun car I've had (have had 20+ cars, mostly Japanese).

So far the 335D is reliable (excepting the emissions crap), but just not as driver oriented. They set it up as a commuter car. The stability control is very excessive/harsh, whereas the 318ti's ESC was sublime and near perfect. This car is more of a GT--confidence inspiring and stable at high speeds.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
Thanks,
ben
The M-sport package 535d suspension and brakes do not seem to differ much if at all from what a standard diesel gets, especially in AWD form.

As far as emissions equipment, BMW has shown itself to be a leader in this, especially lacking any "dieselgate" problems so far. My 2016 535d engine differs significantly from my very late build 2011 335d, and I haven't picked up any great problems with its reliability on the forums... so far.

TM

Last edited:

aircooledkid

TDI
14 328d BMW f31 wagon, 05 reflex silver 5sp wagon, 04 5sp blue anthracite golf, 03 5sp wagon(sold)
I picked up my 2014 328d f31 back in September. I still love my tdi's, but I'm just tired of driving them. They are now dedicated to home depot and kennel runs. After about 5k miles of ownership with the 328d I'm averaging a little of 40mpg. Not has good as the pd wagon, but the bimmer is 10x funner car imo. So glad I found out about the secret society.

Armourbl

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4DR
I'm also looking at the 328d. Not too sure about the interior size though. Weird to say since I feel just fine in my Golf. I'm 6' 1" and for the few minutes I sat in a 328d it felt too small to me. I had just come from the 5 series and my big ass truck though, so maybe it was just perception.

ben

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
The F30 diesel has more overall room than a Golf does but it is definitely more cockpit-like so it feels tighter.

Personally love mine, bought it March of last year and have put just over 30,000 miles on it so far.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I bought 328DX last May from the Same Dealer as Dubfamily bought his from on his recommendation...it is a CPO off lease and was local 8miles from me the whole time with 30K miles on it now has 42K love this car! It originally listed for nearly 53K is only missing a couple options! Is a Sport Model! I kept my 2015 Jetta SEL TDI and my Wife drives it now and as of now the BMW gets the same average fuel mileage as my Jetta does.nice cars!

Last edited:

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
It originally listed for nearly 53K is only missing a couple options! Is a Sport Model!
Crazy how much these things go for new, I would never recommend anybody buy a new 3-series. But, the off lease ones are insanely affordable. I got mine for $25k with 28k miles on it. That's $4k cheaper than I bought my Golf for in 2009 (granted that was a new car, but still!).

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
I'm also looking at the 328d. Not too sure about the interior size though. Weird to say since I feel just fine in my Golf. I'm 6' 1" and for the few minutes I sat in a 328d it felt too small to me. I had just come from the 5 series and my big ass truck though, so maybe it was just perception.
I hear ya - I couldn't find a good driving position in the e90 3-series where my hair (what's left of it) wasn't brushing the headliner. However, the F30 car seemed to have a bit more headroom and would have worked for me if I hadn't been seduced by a 535d first.

Armourbl

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4DR
I went and drove the two cars today -- (2014) 535d and (2014) 328d. These are both off lease cars.

Both had pros and cons that are probably obvious to most.

535D
-- More spacious, more relaxed driving
-- Felt heavy, but also planted
-- More powerful, power on tap without big gear change
-- A few 5 series exclusive options like power adjust steering wheel
-- Has some obvious used car wear and tear

328d
-- More sporty, likely more fun to drive
-- Cockpit, everything felt more in reach and right place
-- Nicer condition, like new
-- More powerful than my Golf TDI, but with gearing/ratio felt slow to rev, could be perception
-- M Sport package, which I prefer
-- Better gas mileage than the 535d or my TDI
-- Passenger seat looks like it won't be comfortable due to floor board arrangement/space -- think feet flat on floor, knees in the air

I really felt driving them would result in one really standing out as the definite winner, but I'm still debating it in my head.

Would anyone consider one the better choice for reliability or total cost of ownership reasons?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but this would be my first BMW. I'm so noob when it comes to luxury brand anything.

ben

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Would anyone consider one the better choice for reliability or total cost of ownership reasons?

ben
My wife drives a 2014 328xi and I'm shopping around for a 535D... unless possibly I find a 328D M-Sport wagon in Estoril Blue.

Cost of ownership is the same, especially if you do a fair amount of maintenance yourself.

I'm 5'10 and 210 lbs... the 3 class feels a bit small to me.. but I do like the wagon. But I much prefer the 5 class seats and size of car along with power... also straight 6 cylinder engines are soooooo smooth and almost always bulletproof.

I feel your pain :) Sorry I couldn't be of better help...lol.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto

Armourbl

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4DR
I'd say I'm pretty handy in the garage. I can take most motorcycles down to the last part and back together again, and I do mean everything. I do as much maintenance on all of my vehicles as I can. But, there are certainly somethings that I still have a mechanic do, sometimes even if I can do it but don't feel like the hassle. For example, I had a VW Guru do the transmission service on my Golf, despite it being a fairly easy job and basically because I never got around to getting VCDS.

Cars are starting to get a lot more complicated, but thanks to YouTube and forums like this, you can generally find how to do something you've never done before.

I'd hope to do as much work on the BMW as I can. I hate dealerships and the hassles related to turning over your vehicle, find a ride, wait for it be done, hope they don't screw something up, get a ride back, paying too much, etc.

I'm finding so far that with the BMW diesels there isn't as much enthusiast forum discussions. For example, I can read until my eyes bleed about delete kits for trucks, but there isn't a lot out there on the same topic for the BMW.

Anyways, thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge. I'll absorb as much as you are willing to share.

ben

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Owning both cars VWs tdis and a 335d, my golf tdi is fun driving and seat strapping, and faster then my 335d, for leisure time my 335D nice all the way around it feels like a tank just like my golf to the ground,

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Owning both cars VWs tdis and a 335d, my golf tdi is fun driving and seat strapping, and faster then my 335d, for leisure time my 335D nice all the way around it feels like a tank just like my golf to the ground,
It should be pointed out that you've probably dropped $35K in goodies, research, time, parts, and service on top of a $10K purchase price to get your Tdi to:

your sigline said:
1/4 mile run----13.98 sec. @ 105.37 mph 8 years ago
I dynoed at 275HP at LCD back then, now 2.0 TDI with the real bolt ons, HP and TQ who knows???
300 hp in Golf Tdi weighing 3126 lbs = 192 hp/ton. Cost $45K (ish)

395 hp in 335d (stage 2.8 tune, exhaust upgrades only) weighing 3850 lbs = 205 hp/ ton. Cost $16K (ish).

Bang/$ for Tdi is 4.26 hp/ton/$1,000
Bang/$ for 335d is 12.8 hp/ton/$1000

I'll take the 335d path, thank you.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The 335d and a TDI are very different cars. Not really comparable, about the only thing they have in common is a diesel engine and 4 wheels. I've dialed back my ALH considerably in recent years, but when it was making top power (185/320 on a conservative dyno) it was quick. But my tuned 335d is quicker, no question, especially at 80+ MPH. It's at higher speeds where the 335d really shines.

However, I currently have the 335d, IBW, and my '15 GSW at my house. Far and away IBW gets driven most frequently, with the GSW and 335d driven about the same amount. I enjoy the 335d when I drive it, but I'm just more comfortable in IBW, especially in the snow and in the city. Some of it is the manual transmission, the car's size, and ease in seeing out and seeing the car's corners. And some of it is probably having had it for close to 16 years and 360K miles. One tends to get comfortable. But I think it would be difficult to find a TDI that's faster than a tuned or deleted 335d.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
The 335d and a TDI are very different cars. Not really comparable, about the only thing they have in common is a diesel engine and 4 wheels. I've dialed back my ALH considerably in recent years, but when it was making top power (185/320 on a conservative dyno) it was quick. But my tuned 335d is quicker, no question, especially at 80+ MPH. It's at higher speeds where the 335d really shines.

However, I currently have the 335d, IBW, and my '15 GSW at my house. Far and away IBW gets driven most frequently, with the GSW and 335d driven about the same amount. I enjoy the 335d when I drive it, but I'm just more comfortable in IBW, especially in the snow and in the city. Some of it is the manual transmission, the car's size, and ease in seeing out and seeing the car's corners. And some of it is probably having had it for close to 16 years and 360K miles. One tends to get comfortable. But I think it would be difficult to find a TDI that's faster than a tuned or deleted 335d.
No arguments with that comment above. MAXRPM made the comparison between his Tdi ownership experience and the 335d ownership experience. I'm not attempting to invalidate that. Whatever he has experienced is what it is. For non-335d owners though, I thought it fair to point out the absurdity of that comparison, especially the part about his Tdi being faster than his 335d. You have to spend a small fortune to get a Tdi to be faster than a mildly massaged 335d.

FWIW, I already pointed out that the Tdi is much more of a driver's car, especially as it is available with manual transmission, whereas I consider the 335d in factory OEM setup more of a high speed GT. Also the MkIV suspension is near superb, IMO. But slap moderately priced coilovers on a 335d, and upload the DWR TCU tune, and I think it can hang with a Tdi in the twisties. Pretty sure :cool:

Also FWIW, I miss my mildly modded Tdi's. They were insanely fun when they weren't being VW's, i.e. every part that has no business breaking, breaks--all the fricken time.

Last edited:

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh man it seems that with my comment im getting flamed by 335D owners, I'm mechanically inclined I'd say, services and putting engine together i did most of it, so 25k is not near what I spent on my golf way less than that, by the way my 335D is tuned and is hopping around 325-330hp with other things i did to it, ok so let's put the comparison together 335d 6 cyl 3.0 twin turbo vs 2.0 4cyl golf gtb2260vk single turbo, my golf weighs 2850lbs vs 3850 335d, 1000lbs lighter, my golf (guessing right now is about same hp thanmy 335d, so guess which car is quicker? 335d will walk away from golf from a dead stop, but golf will blow doors off 335d within 1/4 mile, on a roll 335d will not stand a chance against my 2.0 period and unless 335d has around 375-400hp I'd guess, if it was the case, that would be a competitive race, c'mon on the twisty with your 335d I'd walk away easy unless you got your 335d around the hp i posted previously, stop getting hurt by my comment I love my 335d but facts are facts, and no BS

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Nick is simply making the point that a VW would need a lot of mods to be as fast as a tuned 335d, and, ironically, a 335d delivering comparable performance may cost less money. The big limitation for the TDI is getting the power to the ground. Traction is an issue.

The 335d is my first BMW, and it's surprised me in several ways, not all of them good. First, I was really reluctant to buy any car with an automatic transmission, but the auto in the 335d behaves really well. I think its job is pretty easy because the engine makes so much torque the transmission doesn't have to shift often. And I find the seating comfortable, actually quite similar to a MKIV TDI in space and seating (standard seats, not sport).

BMW loves to market their tag line of the "ultimate driving machine." I don't think so. The car feels bloated, soft, and BMW managed to make a platform that neither rides nor handles well. My guru says that BMW suspensions don't last long (my car has 55K on it). Konis are in its future. And the road wheels have the combination of being very heavy and bending easily. I've replaced those, as well as the hockey pucks they call run-flat tires.

The other disappointment is road and wind noise. My MKIV certainly isn't quiet, but the BMW is significantly louder than my MKVII GSW. If I had paid the $52K this car cost new I'd by unhappy. But for what these cost used they're a good value.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
Peter i made my 1st comment based upon comparison between my 2 cars, i said my fun car is the golf, lower compression and i love the way the tq is set up, so when it comes in youd better grab to the wheel or you may wind up on a ditch,, for me it's a lot fun to drive, 335d I have to admit even when they are stock they got a great tq and they are not slow, i could never talk bad about my 335d but it is what it is, and i love driving such a beautiful car around, can't take away what the car is made for and i do like several other things about it.

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
My guru says that BMW suspensions don't last long (my car has 55K on it). Konis are in its future. And the road wheels have the combination of being very heavy and bending easily.
I have upgraded to Eibach springs and Koni Yellows with 513M forged wheels of of an M3 wrapped in MPSS. Significant weight savings on all 4 corners. She handles like she is on rails now. Bushings in rear along with a diff brace help a ton too. Used 335d are now selling in the low teens and very easily modded to 380+hp/600ftlb on stock turbos.

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
....my 335D is tuned and is hopping around 325-330hp with other things i did to it, ok so let's put the comparison together 335d 6 cyl 3.0 twin turbo vs 2.0 4cyl golf gtb2260vk single turbo, my golf weighs 2850lbs vs 3850 335d, 1000lbs lighter, my golf (guessing right now is about same hp thanmy 335d, so guess which car is quicker? 335d will walk away from golf from a dead stop, but golf will blow doors off 335d within 1/4 mile, on a roll 335d will not stand a chance against my 2.0 period and unless 335d has around 375-400hp I'd guess, if it was the case, that would be a competitive race, c'mon on the twisty with your 335d I'd walk away easy unless you got your 335d around the hp i posted previously, stop getting hurt by my comment I love my 335d but facts are facts, and no BS
I'm just curious what your best 1/4 mile time is in the TDI. There are some 335d examples laying down high 11s to mid 12s range depending on rear tire set-up. Below is an example, from back in 2014. Now a stage 4 tune with hybrid turbos, if you are talking mod for mod, is pushing around 500hp/700ft/lb...looking at around $5-6K to go that route.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=986844

Last edited: