Someone swiss chessed my air box, bad?

TDI Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
I opened up my air box after purchasing my Jetta TDI (Mistake # 1) and found this:

My filter was dirty but not awful. I plan to replace this with an unmolested lower air box piece. I tried to find the part # on 1stvwparts.com but no 1.9TDI part # listed. I already put my airbox back in the car so I will have to remove it again to check for a part # on lower half. Anybody know off the top of their head ? :)

Is this a mod for these engines or was someone drilling holes where they shouldn't be?

Last edited:

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
That's not very smart; they defeated the cold-air intake from the front of the grille. It's not the end of the world but I'd find a new lower piece and replace it.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Dilusional redneck with a hole saw attacked the airbox with a misguided concept of a cold air intake.

Probably no harm in running it as is, especially with cool outside temps. In the summer, you really want the engine breathing the (relatively) cool air through the snorkle leading out front of the motor area.

I'd just try to find one in a junkyard. Every dead car probably has one in good shape.

TDI Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Thanks for the fast replies. Is the gasser airbox the same as TDI airbox? or different?

My local pull your own parts only has 1 Jetta and its a gasser.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
that part of the gasser airbox is the same. there might be a different snorkle in there, it may look slightly different, but the halves will fit together, and at least it will be solid.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Swiss Chess-ed, you say?
Count your self lucky it wasn't Chinese Checker-ed!

joseluis.17g

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 MKIV mexican Jetta 1.9 TDI
I've seen people do this for the sound, it gives more tubro sound.
If it were me I'd probably use some tape or something and be done with it :D

Low4x4

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 tdi 2000 beetle
How much more sound? Any other adverse effects other than just pulling warmer air into the system?

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
maybe more of a chance for water/moisture to get up into the filter? like if you ever pressure wash the engine bay and don't take the airbox out... i would either just tape it with some gorilla tape or buy a new airbox bottom..

it is certainly doing absolutely nothing to help anything other than look retarded

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
it is certainly doing absolutely nothing to help anything other than look retarded
And yet there are those who still want to do it. They probably put a coffee can on the tip of their exhaust, too. :confused: Go figure.

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
I've got a stock air-box in the barn. (from my old 2000 Jetta)

it's yours for the price of shipping.

PM me if you need it.

TDI Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
I've got a stock air-box in the barn. (from my old 2000 Jetta)
it's yours for the price of shipping.
PM me if you need it.
PM sent. You the man. Love TDIclub.com

Also, one I have receive the unmolested airbox and installed it. I will pay it forward and the above pictured bottom half will be passed on for free plus shipping to those who wish to find out what it sounds like.

Last edited: