RIP Bryan Dunbar aka Redneck Truck

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Hey it's with a heavy heart that I am writing this.

Bryan Dunbar, a.k.a. Redneck Truck was killed recently in a motorcycle accident.

While Bryan and me were not always on the best of terms, I still considered him a friend, and someone who was always willing to succeed doing something new with VW and Audi vehicles.

He was one of the smartest people I knew, and he will be missed

I don't have information on when his funeral will be, but I'll see if I can post more info as I receive it.

Ashleigh2006

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI and 2001 Jetta TDI (278k miles)
This is the most heart breaking thing I've ever been through. Bryan was not just my boyfriend, but my absolute best friend. I know he had so many friends here on this forum and all the other forums. He talked about you guys frequently and loved learning all things VW/Audi and TDI.

I am still a member here and will continue working on cars in his honor.

Thank you all for being great friends to Bryan.

Elysian

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf
I knew Bryan well before he got into the TDI's, back when he had a junk Pathfinder behind his house and the city used to send him letters about it. He's always been extremely helpful, welcoming, and just a nice guy all around. I'm going to miss our conversations. Ashleigh if you need any help let me know.

Adam

reissue

TDI
1979 Rabbit NA Diesel, 2004 Golf TDI, 2007 Touareg v10 TDI
Bryan was a great guy. He helped me so much over the last year. It was an honor to meet him in person at SoWo2015. He was very intelligent and always willing to lend his knowledge to a stranger. He would always pop in and start up a conversation through Facebook even though we didn't know each other too well. Here's the requested information on the memorial service

http://www.tjmfuneral.com/obituaries/bryan-dunbar-51529

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
This was most shocking news for me today when I heard it.
I still can not believe it . I really lost a good friend , and amazing person.

Rest in peace my friend.

Diesel-Dan1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Good dude. Was just getting into the swing of thing with the guy with my upcoming auto to manual swap. Also this last weekends cam issue. Rip buddy. You'll be missed.

Elysian

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf
Wanted to crosspost this, as this explains what happened:

Anthony Quarm said:
Last night as I was going to pick up the kids there was an accident right between our house and the daycare at Indian Run and Old Denton. There were several fire trucks, ambulances, and police on the scene and as I passed I saw a Honda RC51 (sport motorcycle) upside down and otherwise crushed. On the curb was a silver sedan with the passenger side looking like it was hit by a battering ram.

The motorcycle driver's name was Bryan Dunbar. He died in the ER due to blunt force trauma. The lady driving the silver car was turning left across Old Denton on a yellow blinking yield. Bryan had right of way and either she didn't see him, wasn't paying attention, or thought she could make it. Whether it was distraction, blindness, or ego, it got him killed.

I didn't know Bryan, but I found his name by looking at the tarrant county death records for yesterday. He was only a few years younger than me. He was obviously very proud of his bike as there are several pictures of it on his facebook page. It's the same bike that was crushed and upside down yesterday.

I would say that every tenth time or so that I take my bike out, someone moves into my lane blindly, cuts me off, or turns right in front of me. When I went to pick up my new bike Bryan was driving behind me and saw no less than two (or three?) cars nearly hit me. I typically take the time to look a driver in the eye when they do something like this. I don't flip them off, or start yelling under my helmet, or anything like that. I just look at them and hope they see a human under that helmet.

I have no earthly idea what anyone out there finds so damned important on their phone that they can't wait until they get to where they are going. I struggle to understand why checking blindspots and using turn signals have suddenly become optional. Maybe it is all the new safety features on cars, where if we clip someone or bump into them the biggest problem is the delay it causes us in that afternoon - let insurance sort out the rest.

It doesn't work like that on a bike.

If you look at fatality statistics, more motorcycle deaths are causes my cars turning left across a motoryclists path than any thing else. Intersections and parking lot exists are the most dangerous places for a bike to cross. Not the interstate. Not the freeway. Not the tollway.

I didn't know Bryan Dunbar, but it very easily could have been me.

I know. Some of you are thinking, well, just don't ride your bike then. I can't explain why I ride to anyone. I can say that i don't do it for speed or thrills. I can say that it is the best form of relaxation available to me. Even a short trip to pick up something for the house at Loews is enough to help get my thoughts straight. It's my own form of meditation. Avoiding it because there are ass clowns on the road who have better things to do than worry about my life isn't really a great option. At that point I might as well tell my kids to stay off the sidewalks, don't ride their bikes, or do anything else in public where people can possibly run over them.

Tonight there is a lady at home right now doing whatever it is she does on a Thursday night. Maybe she's just finished dinner and put the kids to bed. Maybe she is out on a date. Maybe she is sitting in bed reading a novel. Whatever it is she is doing, last night she killed someone because she decided to make a left hand turn without looking. And because of that, whatever it was that Bryan Dunbar had planned on doing this evening isn't happening.

I honestly hope she spends the rest of her life living with that guilt.
I knew as soon as I heard it was a motorcycle accident that Bryan wasn't at fault.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
My deepest condolences go out to Bryan's family and friends. I didn't know Bryan but I tend to think of fellow TDI folks as extended family.

To all of Bryan's friends and family I will pray that you have the strength to make it through this difficult time.

Posted via my phablet using Tapatalk

alphaseinor

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
I hate those flashing yellows, people get confused by them, thinking they still have right of way... not sure if that's what happened or not, but wouldn't be surprised if they did. They are a stupid idea.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
My condolences go out to Bryan's family and friends. I didn't know Bryan but,I did follow him on his TT conversion.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I didn't know Bryan either but this is just a devastating for his family and friends.....RIP

A similar situation occurred around my Family and workplace 2 weeks ago tonight......however it was a Bicycle......my daughters Housemate Frank was riding his Bike that I bought him for Christmas 3 days before was riding home from work My Families Business he went to cross a major road at a Crosswalk with flashing lights 2 cars stopped However the 3rd didn't....he died in the ER of Multiple Traumatic Injuries.....At this point no charges have been placed.....

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
My condolences go out to Bryan, his family, friends, and acquaintances. I have updated his user title to reflect his passing.

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
I just returned from his memorial service, it was a sad day to say the least.
There was a huge turnout, showing just how many people he touched on his short time here with us.

I spent many evenings working on TDI's with Bryan. I met him through this forum and we quickly became friends having similar interest in cars and projects. He lived rather close to me and we shared tools, parts, and advice quite often.

At first I was saddened by the loss of a close friend, and then it dawned on me, this will be a loss to everyone. He was a very special person and even if he knew it or not, he had a positive impact on many people.

I was blessed to get to meet Bryan and become friends over the past 8 years. I learned a lot from Bryan, but not just the mechanical knowledge. More importantly was personal insight and life lessons I acquired through my friendship with him. I was lucky to have known him.

I met several TDI owners through Bryan, mostly at evening gatherings at his house to play with our TDI's. I would like to invite all of those I knew or met through Bryan to keep in touch with me. Bryan would have wanted us to continue sharing knowledge and help with each other. I am not far from Bryan's house (Sachse), and you can usually catch me in the garage most evenings working on some project TDI or otherwise.

Diesel-Dan1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
I just returned from his memorial service, it was a sad day to say the least.
There was a huge turnout, showing just how many people he touched on his short time here with us.

I spent many evenings working on TDI's with Bryan. I met him through this forum and we quickly became friends having similar interest in cars and projects. He lived rather close to me and we shared tools, parts, and advice quite often.

At first I was saddened by the loss of a close friend, and then it dawned on me, this will be a loss to everyone. He was a very special person and even if he knew it or not, he had a positive impact on many people.

I was blessed to get to meet Bryan and become friends over the past 8 years. I learned a lot from Bryan, but not just the mechanical knowledge. More importantly was personal insight and life lessons I acquired through my friendship with him. I was lucky to have known him.

I met several TDI owners through Bryan, mostly at evening gatherings at his house to play with our TDI's. I would like to invite all of those I knew or met through Bryan to keep in touch with me. Bryan would have wanted us to continue sharing knowledge and help with each other. I am not far from Bryan's house (Sachse), and you can usually catch me in the garage most evenings working on some project TDI or otherwise.
I'm out in Murphy. I think you were pulling in when we were leaving. Please swing by. heck, let's get some local TDi heads over for wrenching and BSing sometime.

Sad day indeed. Bryan was gonna help me start this manual swap soon on the new car. Now I'll do it in his honor. He was a good dude to say the least. He will be missed.

Elysian

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf
Really wish I could have made the memorial. Unfortunately I'm stuck working 7 days a week right now, so a 3hr drive Sunday was not possible. Glad there was a large turnout, Bryan was a person worth celebrating. He will truly be missed.

alphaseinor

TDI
I'm out in Murphy. I think you were pulling in when we were leaving. Please swing by. heck, let's get some local TDi heads over for wrenching and BSing sometime.
Sad day indeed. Bryan was gonna help me start this manual swap soon on the new car. Now I'll do it in his honor. He was a good dude to say the least. He will be missed.
Just give me a call, or Kevin, we are both experts at it.

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
I wouldn't call myself an expert by any means, everything I learned about doing the swaps I learned from your (alphaseinor) write up on this site. I will be glad to help. I wouldn't have been able to do my first one without the help from alphaseinor. Someday I will need the help of someone more experienced in another area of my car. I kind of consider it "paying it forward". Bryan was always willing to help others in search of knowledge or help working on their TDI's. I feel like helping other TDIers would be just continuing on Bryan's legacy.

Bryan helped me alot with my girlfriends b5 passat due to the similarities with his audi a6. Sharing information is one of the greatest things about this forum, second only to the friendships that are formed here.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Roby it has been over 3 years , Very sad. He was very good friend of mine, I knew him very well, very smart and full of the life .
He lost his life because other driver did not focus and pay tension , made left turn and direct hit Brian on his Bike , while Brian had Green light , they do everything else expert focus on driving.