Door Lock Not Working

macintoshdaddy

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
So, when I lock my car, I haven't noticed it honking to arm the ATA. But, I do see the red light come on, so I haven't worried about it. However, when someone was riding in the back seat yesterday, they noticed that the door wasn't locked. Called the dealer, said it would be a $300 fix. Is it? Can I do it myself?

On a 2009 CR Jetta sedan, rear left passenger.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
yeah the mileage is only good for about one year of the average TDI driver thought. it only took me a year and half to blow through 36K.

dingdong

TDI
09 JSW DSG, 2015 GSW DSG
I also had this problem on my 09 JSW. Mine started out periodically not unlocking and then it switched and did what yours is doing, not locking. It was intermittent and then became constant so I took it in. It was a door latch sensor but fortunately I'm only at 34,500 on my car so it was covered under warranty.

ZiggyTheHamster

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
This recently happened to someone and they squirted WD-40 or something into the door latch to fix it. This also happens to me occasionally and I haven't fixed it for the same reason. Pull the codes with VCDS and see if you can go from there. It might just be a loose connection between that door and the car.

rdubya

TDI
JSW 09 - 6M
Had the same issue too. There are a couple of threads on this also. I locked and unlocked the doors repeatedly ( seven or eight times in a row). Seems to have solved the problem so far. Knock on wood.

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
Just had my 2010 in for the 20,000 service and they replaced the latch on the driver's door. Same problems as noted here. Working fine so far.

attyjeff

TDI
2009 Jetta wagon TDI
I had this happen to me, it was the rear door behind the Driver, I sprayed some gun oil all inside the lock area of the door and this fixed it, I havent had a problem since.

Plano Diesel

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Candy White Manual, 2009 Jetta TDI Salsa Red DSG, 2006 Jetta TDI Candy White Manual
Same problem for me. Always the driver's rear door. Noticed the horn wasn't sounding when I locked the doors with the key fob. Happens intermittently. 2009 MKV with 52k miles.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
rear door latch

Right-rear passenger door latch replaced at 30K miles. It does throw a code, but can't recall what it was. Dealer was able to see it. The problem was intermittent and hard to replicate. The only way to prove to the dealer it was bad (needed replaced) was for them to scan it and get the fault code.
Sounds to me like a cheap part!!!
OH!!! Be careful or check the dealer workmanship after they fix it. They put a small dent in my door and the door does not close shut as good and easy as it did before. :mad:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
My passenger rear latch was replaced under warranty a year ago (26k miles?)

I should think, with a thread this long, that VWoA must know about this as a weakness, and should be covering this as a warranty/recall/TSB (I know of no TSB on it...I'm just suggesting) item.

I'm in for 40k DSG service on Monday. I'll ask some questions.

Plano Diesel

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Candy White Manual, 2009 Jetta TDI Salsa Red DSG, 2006 Jetta TDI Candy White Manual
I took my door apart today to try lubricating everything I could get to. For me, this didn't seem to help so I'm hoping someone has another idea.

With the outer panel removed on drivers rear door, you could see an orange piece move towards the front to lock and move towards the rear to unlock. The key fob could get the piece to move towards the rear (unlocked) but then it would be stuck in that position. The alarm would activate, but this door would not be locked. I could easily move it to the locked position by hand but the electronic lock would not.

I did learn how to mechanically lock these doors. On the side of the door, there is a black rubber grommet that you can remove. You can stick your key in that hole and push the orange piece towards the front of the car and then the door will be locked when you close it. I hope that helps one or two of you.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I just replaced my latch assembly on my left rear door on Friday. Same symptoms. The passenger front door did it as well (under warranty) but this one was on my dime (about $130 for parts). Wasn't too difficult other than getting the door skin back on straight to match the body lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markinbright

TDI
2009 JSW TDI w/sunroof
On my 2009 JSW, I've had 3 of the four doors experience this problem, all at separate times. Started off intermittent, but eventually stopped locking at all. The last time it happened, the door eventually went from not locking to not unlocking. Each time the dealer replaced the electronic latch under warranty. Warranty ending soon and I"m wondering about that fourth door. (To be fair, the car has had no other problems.)

motoguy

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I've started having problems with the driver's door on my '10 TDI. The fob won't open it most of the time anymore but fortunately using the key will open it every time. If the key stopped working for me, it would be pure pain to get into the driver's seat.

I agree with tdiatlast, I'm surprised there isn't some type of TSB written for this yet with as many people reporting problems as I see here .

But I was wondering about recurrence. Has anyone had their door latch replaced and the problem returned? It's probably the case that the replaced latches haven't been in service long enough to fail yet.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Uggh, Airbag Fault and Driver Door issues

My driver door lock began acting up a week ago. (wouldn't unlock with the remote, had to use the key) After a few days the problem went away. Two days ago, after a real heavy rain, I go out to my car, start it up, and wham!@ Airbag Fault appears.

Here are the three fault codes from VAGCOM...
1 Fault Found:
01578 - Airbag Deactivation Warning Lamp; Passenger Side (K145)
009 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent - MIL ON

2 Faults Found:
01552 - Motor for Central Locking; Drivers Door (V56); Lock
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101100
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 40
Reset counter: 221
Mileage: 0 km
Time Indication: 0
00928 - Locking Module for Central Locking; Front Driver Side (F220)
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00111000
Fault Frequency: 14
Reset counter: 221
Mileage: 0 km
I deleted the DTC's and got rid of the two door codes, however, the airbag fault did not go away. I would assume there's still an issue mechanically with the door lock.

Did the 2009 have a recall or TSB for the wiring harness in the door? Looking to get the repairs done soon. Prefer not to use a dealership. How hard is it to replace the wiring? Any suggestions/links would be greatly appreciated.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Just fixed RF and LR door locks, for customer. Weren't working.
When I powered up the motors on the bench they didn't work until I bumped them, and they sparked to life.

I took out the harness's, convenience module, and checking wiring and grounds. Not sure cause of problem, but it looks like motor brushes loose contact. Banging on door didn't help either.

Never had a problem on my 06's.

Jeff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH3nmHKcqhs

troyer

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagon TDI
I have the same issue as Plano Diesel and will take the door apart this week to see what I can learn. Plano...did you eventually replace a part? Any tips?

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
I sprayed brake cleaner in a friend's A4 Golf L & R modules, which resolved alarm and dome/door lighting issues. The car was rust proofed with waxy stuff from dealership, so the theory is wax and/or road grime inhibited micro switch movement. Locks always worked both ways.

Had the same problem as others on my A5, accompanied by these codes:

01553 - Motor for Central Locking; Passenger Door (V57); Lock
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - Intermittent
00929 - Locking Module for Central Locking; Front Passenger Side (F221)

After a complete disassembly, as JSRmonster noted, lock motor is the weak link. Bought myself some time by tweaking it, but next time I'll source a new motor for somewhere like Digi-Key. If my prognosis is correct, the problem will return in the dead of winter.

blackbeasst

TDI
2009 purchased 11/13 with 29k on the clock
hate to ru-bump this, but i just took hold of an 09 with 29k miles. the back door locks are acting up and won't unlock when using the remote. however when i reach in and barely pull the handle it seems to "unlock" it.

whats the warranty on these things anyway?

umrpunter

Veteran Member
TDI
09' Black Jetta TDI manny tranny, tan pleather, wd6050 hd
just adding to this thread. I have the same issue with my drivers door. Won't lock/unlock at all without key
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101100
Fault Frequency: 254
Reset counter: 46
Mileage: 169509 km

Freeze Frame:
Reset counter: 86

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Anyone have any idea what the supply voltage is to these motors? 5 or 12? Something different?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
just adding to this thread. I have the same issue with my drivers door. Won't lock/unlock at all without key
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101100
Reset counter: 46

Freeze Frame:
Reset counter: 86
Your symptoms are exactly what I have seen in my car. The fix is described here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=451892. Good luck and do let us know whether you were able to fix the issue if you decide to try.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
Anyone have any idea what the supply voltage is to these motors? 5 or 12? Something different?

The specifications for the motor I found on the web state nominal 12 V. However, at that voltage, the motor revs at 11,500 RPM, which is really high, so my guess is that it will run at much lower voltage.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Well, maybe it is 12. They're a worm gear drive, so they need to whip fast to throw the lock assembly in a split second. And I'm assuming the computer uses micro switch feed back to recognize end of travel.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
The specifications for the motor I found on the web state nominal 12 V. However, at that voltage, the motor revs at 11,500 RPM, which is really high, so my guess is that it will run at much lower voltage.
You have a link handy? Digi key has a huge selection.

This weekend I'm busting my old lock apart. Really should of investigated this before spending money on a module.

At least it is only 1 I replaced so far.

I'm seriously going to measure and source an electric motor.

umrpunter

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks for the link! I am definitely going to do this. I won't be able to for about a week but I will try and document the process when I do.

umrpunter

Veteran Member
TDI
side note I wish VW really would tell us what they are going to do with our cars. I have an 09' with no urea so I think my potential for a buyback is high. I just spent money replacing the rims (one bent). Also, I need to do a wheel bearing, timing belt, this door, and various other odds and ends to drive this thing for(ever) to 300k+. I sure would hate to spend the money and time (doing it all myself) and then VW offer a buyback, likely not optional, and I get pennies on the dollar valuation for this work being done (and zero compensation for my tens of hours).