No Start/dies

Tigger Welder

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
My 2003 Auto TDI is in need. I was driving to work the other day and the car just cut off, rolled to a stop. It would turn over, but wouldn't fire. Ultimately had to tow it home. I charged the battery and put the electric pump on it to see if it had lost prime. Got it to start, let it run for a while, and took it for a test drive. It drove fine down the hill past my house, but died when I started to go up the hill. At that point it would only click when I tried to start it. Charged the battery overnight, and still nothing, had it tested, bad cell, bought a new battery. Even with the new battery and jumper cables, nothing but clicks. Any ideas?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Sounds like a bad connection from the battery to the starter most likely.
Does sound most likely andhopefully.
If a manual, you can jack up one front wheel and while in a gear see if engine will turn over w/o forcing it too much. If it resists, check TB condition and tension. Perhaps it has had an "event".

Tigger Welder

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
It is Automatic. The cable from the battery to the starter looks good, but I will inspect it more closely. The timing belt was fine when it first died, verified it was on and turning when I was bringing it home from its first incident. since it won't turn over, so I haven't checked. There is a different sound from doesn't try to won't turn, and this is definitely doesn't try. More tonight.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
I had a timing belt go on my old 1998 Jetta TDI. I had the head rebuilt by a local machine shop and did the R&R myself. I think it came in at under $1000 all in. I've also heard good things about Franko6's heads (look him up here on the club).

The original cause of the belt failure was cheap eBay parts sold by a well-known (and well-hated) eBay parts seller.

Good luck, whichever way you decide to go.