My TDI VW Bus with a flipped passat gearbox

Inhabor

TDI
Vw bus tdi conversion
Hi guys. It took me a while but I finally found the correct forum. I'm in the process of installing a 1.9 ALH in my 1971 vw bus. Does anybody here done this before? Is there any tdi gurus in Florida? This is a new field for me and I would like to learn as much as I can about tdi. I kind of need help with the wire harness now. I'm still wating on my transmission to be built but I would like to have the harness ready for when the tranny gets here. Also, how do I post pictures here? The donor car is a 2002 jetta.

Last edited:

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Hey is this a TDI from 2000: A Space Odyssey? Haha, I assume it is an ALH instead of a HAL. If you are new to this and needing direction or a ready to use harness, reach out to Hasenwerk on this site. He knows harnesses inside and out and can build you one.

Last edited:

Inhabor

TDI
Vw bus tdi conversion
Hey is this a TDI from 2000: A Space Odyssey? Haha, I assume it is an ALH instead of a HAL. If you are new to this and needing direction or a ready to use harness, reach out to Hasenwerk on this site. He knows harnesses inside and out and can build you one.
Thanks,l think I have dyslexia. Lol

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
My thread (linked below) has lots of info. Unfortunately the pictures are broken. There is also another thread on thesamba.com of someone else who has done a bus.

Biggest question is the transaxle. This is a big cost and something to decide on properly the first time. I have a regeared 091 and a Kennedy plate. A better way IMO is an upside down longitudinal TDI transaxle. There was also a guy who installed a the stock TDI trans and engine by welding it all into his bus, mid-engine. This turned out surprisingly well.

If you go 091, figure out how to not have the head water outlet smack into your fuel tank. Options other have done include changing the fuel tank shape or making a custom flange.

For intercooler: After trying almost everything, I went dual Air-to-water. This works. A better solution is a huge under-bus air-to-air intercooler. That has been done with success in a Vanagon. All of the other ideas I have seen, which mostly involve an A2A intercooler in the engine way, with and without fans, with and without ducts had disappointing results.

Other general advice: Read a lot of other projects. Look for people who have done ANY watercooled engine into a baywindow for general info on cooling, etc. as it applies to your scenario. Look at the Vanagon TDI group on yahoo for TDI into VW Van info. This stuff applies to your scenario too, minus the cooling.

Good luck and post lots of pictures!
Mark

Inhabor

TDI
Vw bus tdi conversion
My thread (linked below) has lots of info. Unfortunately the pictures are broken. There is also another thread on thesamba.com of someone else who has done a bus.

Biggest question is the transaxle. This is a big cost and something to decide on properly the first time. I have a regeared 091 and a Kennedy plate. A better way IMO is an upside down longitudinal TDI transaxle. There was also a guy who installed a the stock TDI trans and engine by welding it all into his bus, mid-engine. This turned out surprisingly well.

If you go 091, figure out how to not have the head water outlet smack into your fuel tank. Options other have done include changing the fuel tank shape or making a custom flange.

For intercooler: After trying almost everything, I went dual Air-to-water. This works. A better solution is a huge under-bus air-to-air intercooler. That has been done with success in a Vanagon. All of the other ideas I have seen, which mostly involve an A2A intercooler in the engine way, with and without fans, with and without ducts had disappointing results.

Other general advice: Read a lot of other projects. Look for people who have done ANY watercooled engine into a baywindow for general info on cooling, etc. as it applies to your scenario. Look at the Vanagon TDI group on yahoo for TDI into VW Van info. This stuff applies to your scenario too, minus the cooling.

Good luck and post lots of pictures!
Mark

I have been doing research and reading everyting I find for a year now. The radiator is alredy installed under the bus. The new 002 LST and proper gears for the tdi should be done next week. It is expensive $3400. I want to do it wright the first time. Thanks for your hep.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Cool project, post some pics!

Yeah you will for sure not want the stock gearing from a 1600 Bus. The ALH in stock form is literally about twice the HP, and I would bet thrice the TQ.

I had a '71 Westy, drove it all over the place. Great vehicle. Stuck to 65 MPH, never any faster, and it did that OK. Was reliable and had a lot of fun in it! It had about the same get up and go as my diesel Vanagon... so, not much. A TDI would be an excellent upgrade!

leecat

TDI
1969 Westy w/AHU eng&trans
Hi Inhabor; I'm as far away from Florida as you can get, but I installed a 1.9 AHU into my 1969 Westfalia and love it. My swap was different in that I used the Jetta 1.9 manual transaxle as well as the engine, so might not be the same thing as you're considering - sounds like you are using a stock-ish transmission. Feel free to drop me a line if you'd like and I would sure try to help in any way!

Inhabor

TDI
Vw bus tdi conversion
Hi Inhabor; I'm as far away from Florida as you can get, but I installed a 1.9 AHU into my 1969 Westfalia and love it. My swap was different in that I used the Jetta 1.9 manual transaxle as well as the engine, so might not be the same thing as you're considering - sounds like you are using a stock-ish transmission. Feel free to drop me a line if you'd like and I would sure try to help in any way!

Thanks, I will.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Inhabor, do you know what the 4th gear and Ring & Pinion Ratios will be in your tranny?

Inhabor

TDI
Vw bus tdi conversion

What did you used for fuel pump?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Other than the location of the fuel tank, most everything in your swap will be similar to my 84.

The Injection Pump does all the pumping without any assistance. A lift pump has not been necessary.

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
4.57 ring and pinionand .82 4th gear.
FYI: I had a .70 and switched to a .77. I kinda wish I kept the .70. I'm also running much larger tires 16" 215 75 R16, You could still have sufficient power, drop RPMs and get more MPG with taller gears..

markd89

Veteran Member
TDI
1978 VW Bus 1Z TDI
Yours is one of the most creative I've seen. How many miles on the swap now? Any issues?

Mark

Inhabor

TDI
Vw bus tdi conversion
FYI: I had a .70 and switched to a .77. I kinda wish I kept the .70. I'm also running much larger tires 16" 215 75 R16, You could still have sufficient power, drop RPMs and get more MPG with taller gears..
Well to be honest with you I have no idea of what those numbers mean. Lol I'm going with my trasmission expert recommended after I gave him the information that he asked for. I'm also getting LS

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Inhabor, "slowing" down the TDI engine is important from at least two aspects.

1. With stock transmission gearing, the RPMs at 70 mph will be in the neighborhood of 3600. Unless you have extremely soft motor mounts and good sound-deadening, the noise inside the Bus will be very annoying.

2. Your TDI engine will be far more efficient and last much, much longer if the RPMs are below 3100 at 70 MPH.

I'm far from an expert on transmissions, but I did rebuild the tranny for my project. In fact, researching, rebuilding and re-gearing the tranny was one of the first things I did with my project.

I admit up front, I have very little knowledge or experience with pre-1980 Van/Bus transmissions.

My tranny is a 1980 model, first of the Vanagons, Code DK. It also has a 4.57 Ring and Pinion and come OE with a 0.85:1 4th gear ratio. I upgraded (taller) both 3rd and 4th gears. My 4th gear is a 0.77:1 as Markd89 referenced. I did the entire rebuild my self using over $1,000 in parts from Weddle Industries. Of course, I had to replace some damaged components which added about 1/3 to the cost. To date, I've driven it over 80k miles with no problems... shifts great.

I'm running 215/75/15 wheels/tires...

Take a look at the chart below showing Vanagon Transmissions. It doesn't apply to your Bus tranny, but it will give you some ideas. You can see the DK tranny and the original gearing and then at the bottom see my custom tranny.

Also, look at the chart, pick some ratios and apply to the Gear Ratio Calculator at Weddle https://weddleindustries.com/

And, at this web site, you can plug-in your tire size to learn about diameter, revolutions per mile, etc.... https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Inhabor

TDI
Vw bus tdi conversion
Inhabor, "slowing" down the TDI engine is important from at least two aspects.

1. With stock transmission gearing, the RPMs at 70 mph will be in the neighborhood of 3600. Unless you have extremely soft motor mounts and good sound-deadening, the noise inside the Bus will be very annoying.

2. Your TDI engine will be far more efficient and last much, much longer if the RPMs are below 3100 at 70 MPH.

I'm far from an expert on transmissions, but I did rebuild the tranny for my project. In fact, researching, rebuilding and re-gearing the tranny was one of the first things I did with my project.

I admit up front, I have very little knowledge or experience with pre-1980 Van/Bus transmissions.

My tranny is a 1980 model, first of the Vanagons, Code DK. It also has a 4.57 Ring and Pinion and come OE with a 0.85:1 4th gear ratio. I upgraded (taller) both 3rd and 4th gears. My 4th gear is a 0.77:1 as Markd89 referenced. I did the entire rebuild my self using over $1,000 in parts from Weddle Industries. Of course, I had to replace some damaged components which added about 1/3 to the cost. To date, I've driven it over 80k miles with no problems... shifts great.

I'm running 215/75/15 wheels/tires...

Take a look at the chart below showing Vanagon Transmissions. It doesn't apply to your Bus tranny, but it will give you some ideas. You can see the DK tranny and the original gearing and then at the bottom see my custom tranny.

Also, look at the chart, pick some ratios and apply to the Gear Ratio Calculator at Weddle https://weddleindustries.com/

And, at this web site, you can plug-in your tire size to learn about diameter, revolutions per mile, etc.... https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Thank you very much for the information.

DMS_aaron

TDI
2006 brm
Any updates on the build, I have a current build underway. 1974 VW Bus with a 002 built transaxle Kennedy adapter and a 1.9tdi out of a 2006 Jetta.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, I'm interested in updates too.

Since I last posted in this thread, I've purchased a 75 Bay. It has the original transmission (5-rib), but the engine is a hopped-up upright 1600 (1835) with dual carbs on dual port heads. The engine has not been installed. It has a customized bell housing mounted for starting purposes, I suppose.

Anyway, I've not made up my mind about an engine...
1- Stay with the Air-cool engine
2- TDI
3- 1.6 TD
4- 5-cylinder Gasser

And,

Depending on the engine I choose, transmission decisions follow.

I've also learned since I last posted, that the 002 Transmission is basically the same, internally, from 1968 thru 1975.. 5:38 Ring & Pinion and either an 0.89 or 0.82 4th gear. They seem to be as robust internally as the later model Bus/Vanagon trannies.

At the moment, I have three 3-rib (002) and one Diesel (091) disassembled..... for cleaning, inspection and parts replacements.

Anyway, the 002 transmissions are considerably lower geared than the 1976 forward thru 1983, which it appears that they all have the 4.57 R&P with either 0.82 or 0.85 4th gears.

OP, let us know what's going on...

(Oh, and I've considered going Automatic...

Inhabor

TDI
Vw bus tdi conversion
Long time since my last post. Still haven't figured out how to post pictures, and I have so many. I finally pulled the plug and installed a flipped passat gearbox in my tdi bus. Now she feels like a modern car. TDI engine and flipped passat gearbox, best upgrade ever.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Long time since my last post. Still haven't figured out how to post pictures, and I have so many. I finally pulled the plug and installed a flipped passat gearbox in my tdi bus. Now she feels like a modern car. TDI engine and flipped passat gearbox, best upgrade ever.
So, is this the Flipped Passat Transmission that was offered for sale here in the TDI Classifieds a while back?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I've followed this loosely on TDI swapped trucks, that's a cool rig. Incredible project, I hope you have a blast with it for years to come.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
That is the meanest looking van I've ever seen. That is some sweet rig!