Omaha, NE chat thread

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
this would be a better place to discuss Omaha/Nebraska area TDIs, the other thread is mostly just sightings.

welcome to the club 71blazerman, always good to have new members. sorry to hear you're having poor milage on olong trips, i have to agree with the others that your 18" wheels probably have quite a bit to do with your MPGs. i don't recommend visiting the dealer unless you are having work done under warranty. there are several knowledgable TDI-ers in the Omaha area, we'd all be glad to help you do the fule filter, air filter and cabin filter changes for yourself. that would save you a bundle.

as far as mods go, you can see which i have done in my signature. i had my mufflerectomy done by a shop in Blair, it was quick, inexpensive, and professional. if you're looking to do a straight pipe, i can give you the shop's contact info.

feel free send me an email any time, i'm always happy to have a mini GTG with someone to talk about TDI's.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
MrErlo, What you think about having GTG sometime in this month (march)? MN people having one on March 15, I will be there too.

71blazerman

TDI
05 Jetta TDI
Thanks guys, yeah its an automatic and yeah I was going 80 most of the trip. I think I'm going to keep the 18s cause 35mpg still sure beats the 14mpg I was getting out of the Tahoe I just sold (I can hear the booing already)...don't worry I had the thing for less than a year. This is my second jetta, my first was a '91 gli that I had for about 5 years.

I do consider myself a gearhead and would like to do this stuff myself, where are you guys getting your filters from? My TDI has 40,000 miles on it which is why I was considering on having the dealer do the work while the engine is still under warrantee...just a better paper trail.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
71blazerman said:
Thanks guys, yeah its an automatic and yeah I was going 80 most of the trip. I think I'm going to keep the 18s cause 35mpg still sure beats the 14mpg I was getting out of the Tahoe I just sold (I can hear the booing already)...don't worry I had the thing for less than a year. This is my second jetta, my first was a '91 gli that I had for about 5 years.

I do consider myself a gearhead and would like to do this stuff myself, where are you guys getting your filters from? My TDI has 40,000 miles on it which is why I was considering on having the dealer do the work while the engine is still under warrantee...just a better paper trail.
What filters you need and how many? I can get you oil, fuel filter, air filter & cabin filter also pentosin oil and many other parts. PM me what you need.

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
Appleseed build day, March 29th....??

Losha said:
MrErlo, What you think about having GTG sometime in this month (march)? MN people having one on March 15, I will be there too.
i'll be in Houston for a Rice Univeristy alumni event March 12-16th, so i won't be able to make that one. however, i'd be good to host a "Building an Appleseed in Your Mom's Garage" GTG towards the end of the month, maybe march 29th. with 2 TDI's in the family now (my twin brother in Ames with his 2003 Golf), and interest from Daniel-O and NebraskaRenewableFuels, it seems like we could have enough people to actually get a Co-op going.

so tenative date is March 29th at 93rd and Pacific, Omaha NE. i'll put up more specific date/time/directions/GPS when we get closer to the date... and after i clean out my mother's garage enough to house a processor.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
MrErlo said:
i'll be in Houston for a Rice Univeristy alumni event March 12-16th, so i won't be able to make that one. however, i'd be good to host a "Building an Appleseed in Your Mom's Garage" GTG towards the end of the month, maybe march 29th. with 2 TDI's in the family now (my twin brother in Ames with his 2003 Golf), and interest from Daniel-O and NebraskaRenewableFuels, it seems like we could have enough people to actually get a Co-op going.

so tenative date is March 29th at 93rd and Pacific, Omaha NE. i'll put up more specific date/time/directions/GPS when we get closer to the date... and after i clean out my mother's garage enough to house a processor.
That dates sounds good for now. I'm sure we can get few people to come, maybe Mark & Aaron will come too. If anybody needs any maintance done to their TDI pm me.

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
71blazerman said:
My TDI has 40,000 miles on it which is why I was considering on having the dealer do the work while the engine is still under warrantee...just a better paper trail.
nothing wrong with having dealer service while under warranty, i bought my TDI at 97k miles so that was never a consideration for me.

if you'd like help doing any of the work, let us know. we're all glad to give up whatever we're doing to work on TDI's instead... much more fun.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
71blazerman said:

I have purchased filters and such from here. Good prices from what I have found. http://www.mjmautohaus.com/

Technically if you have the receipts for the parts/work you do, there should not be a warranty issue. Of course we are dealing with VWOA here, so all bets are off. From a local perspective, I recommend Performance VW over Stan Olsen. I know one of the service writers and a tech there and they have a better reputation by far than Olsen.

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
OWH interview

here's something...

Jumpn recommended i contact the Omaha World Herald (whmotornews@owh.com) and tell them about my Fuel Efficient Driving Habits. i just got a call back from them, i've got a lunch meeting/interview set up for March 18th at noon.

anyone want to tag along and discuss WVO/BioD with the World Herald?

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
Why not, I'd go with you. Remind me when it gets a little closer so I don't space it off;)

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
MrErlo said:
here's something...

Jumpn recommended i contact the Omaha World Herald (whmotornews@owh.com) and tell them about my Fuel Efficient Driving Habits. i just got a call back from them, i've got a lunch meeting/interview set up for March 18th at noon.

anyone want to tag along and discuss WVO/BioD with the World Herald?
I would come, but to far to drive unless its on weekend.

71blazerman

TDI
05 Jetta TDI
Congrats dude! That is awesome. I'm not running bio but that would be pretty cool....I feel the value of our cars going up!

Boiler84

TDI
2004 Passat Wagon GLS TDI
My Apologies!

Sorry about starting a new sightings thread. I couldn't find the old one! Anyway, I have seen a silver Jetta sedan on base, but not a Jetta wagon yet. Mine is the 2004 Passat Black Wagon with the Purdue sticker in the window.

Boiler84

TDI
Omaha GTG - 29 Mar 08

Darn it! I am getting back from Kearney that day and then it is Koch Trap for the high school trap event. I'll be there for the entire day! I do want to "fix" my pollen filter box this weekend, after lunch and trap practice. I have a "new" wheel arriving that matches my other three and some mudflaps to install at the base auto hobby shop.

Boiler84

TDI
Performance VW

These boys are rather new, maybe three years old. My recent experience is that the sales staff are typical sales, not worth the time. The service area has been interesting. Duane has been my service guy. I brought my TDI back from NY and needed some diagnosis in the right turn signal and lights. I have to admit, the boys did good work and didn't try to run me around. Of course, the labor is high cost, but so far, when I have dealt with them they have been straight with me.

Wonders never cease!

Boiler84

TDI
2 Indy 500 Tickets

I would like to extend this to my Omaha TDY brethren. I have been going back to my home town of Indianapolis to watch my beloved Indy 500 with my own tickets since returning from Germany in 1991. I have four tickets on the outside of turn 4. Great seats. I have two to sell for face value. I think they are $70 or $75 each. I usually drive back and visit family, attend the race, then return sometime after the holiday. First come, first serve! Should be interesting with the recent reunion of the open-wheel family.

Boiler84

TDI
Nebraska Brewing Company - Geat Beer

:) Since I am spamming this thread and MrErlo brought up home brewing...
You all should come down to Papillion, 72nd and HWY 370 to the Shadow Lake Mall. The new Nebraska Brewing Company is on the side that faces the Dick's Sporting Goods store. Good food and great craft beer! We should have a GTG there in the nice weather and we can look at TDIs in the parking lot or talk about them inside.

I am also a member of the Cosmopolitan International and we fight diabetes. On 20 April at the DAV Hall we are doing a chili feed and NE Brewing Co. Beer tasting event to raise money. All are welcome!

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
71blazerman said:
Congrats dude! That is awesome. I'm not running bio but that would be pretty cool....I feel the value of our cars going up!
you're welcome to have as much bio as you want for free... as soon as the processor is running.

DISCLAIMER: it is illegal to run homebrewed fuel if you are not paying road fuel taxes. make sure you "pay your taxes" at the end of the year. i know i do.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
MrErlo said:
you're welcome to have as much bio as you want for free... as soon as the processor is running.

DISCLAIMER: it is illegal to run homebrewed fuel if you are not paying road fuel taxes. make sure you "pay your taxes" at the end of the year. i know i do.
So you saying that I can come over and get as much as bio as I wan't for FREE?;)

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
Boiler84 said:
:) Since I am spamming this thread and MrErlo brought up home brewing...
You all should come down to Papillion, 72nd and HWY 370 to the Shadow Lake Mall. The new Nebraska Brewing Company is on the side that faces the Dick's Sporting Goods store.
don't act like we don't already know about NE Brewing Co:p ... biod homebrews frequently brew their own beer as well. i can be found at the Cresent Moon (36th and Farnam) every tuesday from 9-12 for pint night... and usually about twice a week other than that. it's a great union between the two homebrewing worlds... there are at least 5 TDIs who are there religiously, mine, a 4dr golf golf, 4dr silver gold, and two A5's. i collect their WVO, and will soon be offering fuel for their cars, as they offer fuel for my body.

we should have a "GTG" at the Moon some time.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
Boiler84 said:
These boys are rather new, maybe three years old. My recent experience is that the sales staff are typical sales, not worth the time. The service area has been interesting. Duane has been my service guy. I brought my TDI back from NY and needed some diagnosis in the right turn signal and lights. I have to admit, the boys did good work and didn't try to run me around. Of course, the labor is high cost, but so far, when I have dealt with them they have been straight with me.

Wonders never cease!
Duane is the one I know as well. He is a good guy and a VW enthusiast so he is nice to deal with. 71Blazer, if you go up there, tell him Shelby from the Omaha VW club sent you.

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
Losha said:
So you saying that I can come over and get as much as bio as I wan't for FREE?;)
you bet. as soon as my processor is running, i'll be pumping that stuff out like crazy. i estimate around May, i should be turning out some serious batches and you're welcom to as much as you'd like anytime you're in town.

same goes for everyone. the cost isn't that important to me, the idea of spreading knowledge about alternative fuels and the environmental benefits far out weight the roughly $.70/gallon it will cost.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
MrErlo said:
you bet. as soon as my processor is running, i'll be pumping that stuff out like crazy. i estimate around May, i should be turning out some serious batches and you're welcom to as much as you'd like anytime you're in town.

same goes for everyone. the cost isn't that important to me, the idea of spreading knowledge about alternative fuels and the environmental benefits far out weight the roughly $.70/gallon it will cost.
Sounds great, let me know when its ready to go in my fuel tank.;)

Daniel-O

TDI
TDI not available in Japan... but my 1996 Toyota Town Ace van has a 2.2L turbo diesel
HI!!

MrErlo has been helping me with a little issue I have with my 03 wagon, I just wanted to ask if anyone local has a VagCom that would be available friday the 29 or sometime this weekend? i'll add details as i get a few of the trouble shooting basics out of the way.

Thanks for the help Eric!!!

Dan

Daniel-O

TDI
TDI not available in Japan... but my 1996 Toyota Town Ace van has a 2.2L turbo diesel
Omaha folk!

GOOD NEWS!! TDI Forums save VW newbie a butt load of $$$ once again!!!

It was the anti shudder valve suck closed!!! So anyone want to have a GTG and do an intake cleaning party???

Thanks again Eric for the offers of help!! I hope we'll meet in person soon!

Dan

Symptoms were: engine would crank and crank but not start... while cranking it would belch lots of whiteish smoke and occasionally it would idle... burbling and coughing at ~500 rpm for 8~15 seconds and belch lots of black smoke during those 8~15 seconds. Things I checked b4 finding the anti shudder valve: Battery for a full change, I assumed I was getting fuel by the copious amounts of black smoke/whiteish smoke. I then checked the air-filter and snow screen for blockage... all clear. I next checked my glow-plug harness sort-of i got it pulled off then realized that after being TDY for 77 days some of my tools had migrated to places unknown and had taken my digital multi-meter with them... then i found the anti-shudder valve stuck.... push with finger... engine starts... put it all back together

Dan

Last edited:

Boiler84

TDI
Congrats Daniel-O

Good to hear you fixed the 2003. Just for curiousity's sake, what was the car doing? Symptons? Would be nice information to have. I will be at the Offutt Auto Hobby Shop this Saturday swapping out a wheel, installing mudflaps and fixing the pollen filter around 2PM, if you want to stop in and visit/help.