Beetle TDI Real World MPG

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
The 2013+ Beetle TDI has the lowest MPG numbers of any of the TDI models. At 28 city 41 highway, the Beetle is closest to the 30/42 Jetta and farthest from the Passat at 31/43.

Typically the new TDI models beat their EPA estimates, so - how is your real world MPG in your 2013 Beetle TDI?

stembridge

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI Beetle Convertible
When you reply, also please describe your typical driving conditions (highway, city) as well as your driving style (speed limit, +10, +20, etc.) as these all affect mileage.

I'm only on my second tank, so not really enough for a true running average yet. First tank was 40.4, current tank says 41.5 at about 3/4 full.

I have a rural commute mostly on 55mph state (farm) roads and drive the speed limit. I'm following the break in reccomendations posted elsewhere on this site, which includes "firm" acceleration to help seat the rings.

es

bradysplace

TDI
2013 bug conv. tdi
Mpg

2013 bug tdi convertible. Live at 7000 ft. Foot hills of Colo. driving consists of rural 50 mph, interstate 75mph split evenly. Winter fuel is giving me a overall avg 42.6 computed 43 car computed . As the car only has 2000 miles on it I am sure it will improve with time and summer fuel. The increased drag of having the top down can't be avoided ????

Bugwithaltitude

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Blue Lagoon New Beetle GLS TDI
I've been wondering what B12/B13 owners are getting, the real world MPG I've heard from owners of other models is high 40s. Bradysplace, is this your first Beetle? If so, welcome to the Beetle family!! Have you checked out newbeetle.org? we'd love to see you and your car at Colorado shows. We have a national GTG in Roswell, NM June 6-9. We'll be carabugging to Roswell and leaving on June 5. It's lots of fun. :cool:

bradysplace

TDI
2013 bug conv. tdi
gears

DSG ... Never been a big fan of the dsg would rather have a less sophisticated automatic. Standard is fun but gets old in stop and go traffic. I'm sure my overall mpg would be a bit higher with standard and would eliminate the "big" dsg service down the road. Oh well..... This is my 3rd bug convertible but my first tdi bug convertible.

Chuckwrd

TDI
2013 Beetle TDI Convertible
DSG ... Never been a big fan of the dsg would rather have a less sophisticated automatic. Standard is fun but gets old in stop and go traffic. I'm sure my overall mpg would be a bit higher with standard and would eliminate the "big" dsg service down the road. Oh well..... This is my 3rd bug convertible but my first tdi bug convertible.
Several dealers told me that the days of better mileage with a manual vs automatic are over for VW at least. Supposedly the DSG's get the same as the manuals do now-a-days and the only thing different is the upcharge for the auto tranny...Are they lieing to me?

laicnani

TDI
2013 Beetle Convertible
I've got a DSG convertible. I'm on the third tank now. Average economy over the first two tanks was 38.5. With the top down, I'm averaging 36; with the top up, 41. My commute is 75% stop-and-go, average speed of 45.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Seems stupid now, but it makes sense that the MPG number would be lower with the top down...and that would be reflected in the EPA MPG number.

The rag-top probably has a higher drag coefficient than a sleek roofline.

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Several dealers told me that the days of better mileage with a manual vs automatic are over for VW at least. Supposedly the DSG's get the same as the manuals do now-a-days and the only thing different is the upcharge for the auto tranny...Are they lieing to me?
It's a marketing program. The DSG has parasitic losses that just can't be overcome. Something has to power the all that gear banging.

laicnani

TDI
2013 Beetle Convertible
On many cars (not just VW), automatic are getting higher mpg ratings than manual. I think it's due to the way mpg is tested. Most drivers would probably get around the same mpg in auto or manual, while better drivers could probably eke out better economy with a manual. The DSG is nice, I like that there is an eco mode and a sport mode.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Third tank and we are running about 43.5MPG. First tank I told the wife "Go have fun driving" and she got a mischievous smile. But the tank was most all around town and state highways, about 40MPG.

We have a manual coupe.

Jason

bradysplace

TDI
2013 bug conv. tdi
Slush box

Chuck - no one is lying however the dsg does use alittle more energy. In the real world folks with standard tend to be slightly more aggressive than the dsg which negates any mpg advantage. With standard u deal with the tranny and a manual clutch with dsg u deal with a manual automatic it's complexities and a expensive service well down the road. I guess the advantage of the dsg is that it can be used as a manual without the clutch. Can't go wrong with either box. ����

Last edited:

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
The gearing is also taller on the 6m which accounts for better MPG . I believe 6th gear is 10% taller in the manual.

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
That's just not true. The vast majority of Manual transmissions here get better mileage then their DSG counterparts. DSG's are better than conventional autos but still not to the level of a stick and a decent driver.

forcedfedbug

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta, Totalled late 11. 2012 Passat TDI w/DSG and a 2012 Golf TDI. Golf traded for a 2013 beetle
Man v. DSG

The dealer says they are the same as the differences is normally slight. 1-10% on a car that gets 40+ that equates to .4-4 mpg. A normal auto loses about 10-20% on the same car that equates to 4-8 mpg, a way bigger and noticeable difference. The dsg is 1. geared lower so the excelleration is better than a manual. 2. shifts a lot faster then normal auto's so is much closer to a manual shift(surpasses it if reprogramed to shift in the .04 sec it is capable of) 3. uses freewheeling tech when coasting allowing it to coast farther then a manual when using no gas to coast.
These changes make the auto get really close to the manual and under similar driving styles you may not notice the difference in mpg. However as stated several times the manual is 1. less sophisticated (fewer moving parts)2. geared higher
These differences may make the exelleration slower but allow it to get inherently better gas mileage if driven to get the most possible. This can be easily shown by all the VW press that shows all the tdi cars get the best milage (the cars shown are almost always manual driven by hypermilers) If the DSG could get better mileage VW would show those cars in the press.
Bottom line the manual gets better mileage but the difference is negligible in normal driving when driven by normal people.

Ron

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
WOOHOO!! Got 48.7MPG on weekend trip and 400 miles on the first half a tank. Too bad because the rest of the tank will be around town and kill the MPG.

Jason

JayT

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2003, Silver Beetle, 2013, Moonrock
I'm averaging 36mpg combined highway and town. I have the DSG and I always use it in "manual" mode. I don't like it and would rather have a true standard...it seems as though I am always shifting the damn thing, especially downshifting as I slow down, trying to find the gear that will not lug the engine and provide me the greatest excelleration. perhaps some of my shifting woes are the result of having six gears. I rarely use 6th unless I am on the highway because I am eventually going to have to shift down two shift points to find excelleration in town driving.

The automatic is god awful to drive in. It just gets to 6th gear as fast as it can and then offers very little in the way of excelleration unless you tramp on it and force it to upshift. Sport mode is slightly better.

I'm dissapointed with the fuel mileage personally. I like the car though.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
Only advise I can give you is, don't over think the DSG. Just let it do its thing and it will adapt some to your driving. 36MPG sound decent on a DSG with mixed driving. As is breaks in the MPG will get better.

And if it still bugs you, there are a few people who have had great success with "chipping" the DSG. I have been told it greatly improves the experience.

Jason

PS; I waited 4.5 months to get a manual while 6 DSG Beetles sat on the lot.

Last edited:

baglenn

TDI
2015 GLK 250
took a trip from Houston to Pensacola Florida in my 2013 vw tdi beetle dsg. on the way there I avg 41. on the way home avg 42. car now has 3800 miles. it should go up after being broken in

Chuckwrd

TDI
2013 Beetle TDI Convertible
On the last fillup on Saturday, we were right at 39.9 MPG. Wife drives the car daily to school, home, around town mostly in short 15 minute drives. Doesn't even get wamed up and have to shut it back down again. 13.0 gallons even and 518 miles. Speed isn't much over 50mph usually. Need to take it on a road trip and stretch it's legs a little.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Yes and no. EPA ratings are basically the same but the manuals are geared higher than the dsg. All of the models with manual are getting better real world mileage.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm averaging 36mpg combined highway and town. I have the DSG and I always use it in "manual" mode. I don't like it and would rather have a true standard...it seems as though I am always shifting the damn thing, especially downshifting as I slow down, trying to find the gear that will not lug the engine and provide me the greatest excelleration. perhaps some of my shifting woes are the result of having six gears. I rarely use 6th unless I am on the highway because I am eventually going to have to shift down two shift points to find excelleration in town driving.

The automatic is god awful to drive in. It just gets to 6th gear as fast as it can and then offers very little in the way of excelleration unless you tramp on it and force it to upshift. Sport mode is slightly better.

I'm dissapointed with the fuel mileage personally. I like the car though.
Mileage will improve if you get out of the manual mode. The best economy is from the dsg shifting quickly to get up to sixth gear around 40 mpg. Yes, if you need more power, it will downshift, much like a traditional auto or that you currenlty do with a manual. I don't ahve any isues with power but then I came from a 2000 Beetle TDI with 90 hp and you're coming from a chipped diesel.

RedBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle Convertible - sold back
Greetings.

2013 Convertible w DSG
Getting 42 - 46mpg (based on miles and gallons, not trip computer, over 4 fill ups )

Economy does not seem to differ significantly with the top up or down. It gets worse when driving in rain or wet roads.

Rural commute 43 miles each way, computer average speed 37-40
Computer reports 50.1 mpg one way and 45.8 the other unless I get stuck out of sync with the lights.

Use cruse as much as possible and will tip DSG into N if I am loosing speed coasting down hills and back to D and cruse as soon as it levels out.

stembridge

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI Beetle Convertible
Just an update now that I have about 4,000 miles on my '13 Beetle TDi Convertible (manual)... I have a rural commute of about 40 minutes, mostly 55mph on farm and exurban roads. I made a trip to GA (16 hours each way) which netted my highest MPG on a single tank to date of 44.77mpg.

MPG - # Miles Traveled Between Fillups

39.02 - 517

36.86 - 387

40.14 - 466

40.17 - 424

44.77 - 586

41.18 - 500

41.82 - 534

42.73 - 507

You can see my MPG slowly creeping up (a trend which I hope continues). I'm following the break-in procedure listed elsewhere on the site.

es

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
I check the MFI for mpg on my wife's Beetle every time we go somewhere and so far it seams to like 39 mpg. Not bad considering its all in town S Florida. (Google maps of her route)

Three hour trip to Orlando and back did net a 48.7 mpg tank, so I know there is potential. And this is leaps and bounds above the 225 miles to a tank in her 2.5 Jetta.

Jason

Last edited:

flydiesel

TDI
2013 Beetle
I've had my 13 Beetle Coupe for 2 weeks now, and last weekend took it on its first highway trip. I averaged 46.5mpg running between 65-70mph. The trip was 124 miles total, and the car now has 500 miles on it. I run Stanadyne Performance Formula and will do so as long as I own this car. I ran it in my '06 Jetta TDi and noticed better economy. I love the TDi and my Beetle..what a great combination! :D

spacemonkeymafia

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2013 beetle!
I have had my 6-speed manual 2013 Beetle TDI for almost a year (I got one of the first three in the country). My mileage has been pretty consistent over that time, since pretty much all I do is drive from home to work and back (21-ish miles each way). Most of that time is on I-95 in the DC area, but I manage to avoid the worst of the stop-and-sometimes-go traffic due to an alternate work schedule. I do get some of it, but not every day. Therefore, I generally drive like a bat out of hell (70mph is about cruising speed on the highway here). Unless I do something abnormal, I generally fill up twice a month. (on paydays-nice how that works out!)

My average mpg for most tanks is 38-39.
My average for the drive TO work is 36-38.
My average for the drive FROM work is 46-48.
Going to and from the grocery store and other stuff just a few miles from home (with a million stop lights), the average usually drops to 30, or maybe a little less.

I travel at different times each day, with generally the same traffic each way. The only thing we (myself, VeeDubTDI, compu85, and others around here) have been able to come up with to explain the 10 mpg difference each way is that 95 slopes ever-so-gently downwards towards the southeast (where I live) as opposed to closer to the city (where I work). I still marvel that the difference is that great.

I know others may not be thrilled with their mileage, but with current prices, I am paying about $1.10 more a tank than I did to fill my previous cars (all gas Saturns, may they rest in pieces) and I get about 150-200 more miles to the same size tank. I’m ok with that. :D

Last edited:

Spoolin'Jim

TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI, 5 speed, Pkg. 1, White
So far we've only filled it up twice. The first tank was just over 36mpg and the second was about the same. The wife drives it to work, which is only about 1 mile away, 4 days a week. She doesn't care about mileage, and it shows. Though, I don't think I will ever get the same out of this car as my 06 TDI Jetta with a 5 speed, it's okay though, because the Beetle sure is nice and fun =)