MN Chat Thread

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
hey guys...

i'm gonna be travelling back to mn for a 7-10 days end of may so the gf can visit family in bemidji and i'll be at my parents in long lake. going to be doing my dad's BEW timing belt (and possibly camshaft). does anyone have an engine support bar i could borrow for a few days so i don't need to lug mine across country? would need it somewhere between the 21-26th, depending on the weather since i'll be working outside.. :)

hopefully i'll be taking my mk1 rabbit for the trip, if anyone wants to go for a scary ride and check it out ;)

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
well i finally got the brakes fixed, after spending weeks thinking it was the master cylinder.. swapped out/bled a bunch of MCs.. did all kinds of stuff. turns out these calipers, which i swear are OE 16v and are on the correct side, need to be unhooked and futzed with to bleed right!! ARGH!!! i am so pissed! that was half-the point of this operation, was to take off the mk4 rear calipers i had on (opposite side) so i wouldn't have to unhook the rears to bleed... *sigh*

so all i have left to do is reboot/replace a cv joint, tidy up some wiring, and she should be roadworthy to get to minnesota :) now if only someone will have an engine support bar i can borrow :)

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I too want to sign up for the trip to certain death :D

I have a herm-o-hanger that I built for the transmission side if you want to modify that, you're welcome to. You can borrow the lock-down tools too if you don't already have them.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
:) now if only someone will have an engine support bar i can borrow :)
I have a Herm-o-hanger you can borrow. It sits on the fender and has a thread rod to hold up the engine. It is sitting in my garage now. Mine is drilled for both transmission side and timing belt side.

Chris

Last edited:

isonic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4door 5spd
hey guys...
hopefully i'll be taking my mk1 rabbit for the trip, if anyone wants to go for a scary ride and check it out ;)
Are you referring to the rabbit in your signature? If so that sounds like a reason to have a gtg. I would definitely like to see that!

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
yes, the rabbit in my sig :) just fixed my annoying vacuum leak - took forever until i finally realized it - a tiny pinhole leak in the metal of the housing top at the base of the barb, doh! brakes are now 100% and boost is steadier all the way to 26 and a little beyond :D also replaced a newly leaking inner cv joint boot. going to try and tidy up the wiring and finally attempt to get a dash in...

sweet, so lots of herm-o-hangers around, that is awesome, i didn't really want to lug mine cross country. i was planning on bringing my tools, so i should be all set with everything else. we could have a little gtg at my parents house, shouldn't be a problem. will have to be a little impromptu, since my work will depend on the weather/etc

shadowhand

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
This must be the "nice" thread. ;) Just dropping by to say "hi". After a year of searching, finally bought my first TDI from a fellow club member in Madison, WI.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
I'd like to see that Speedy Rabbit, but depending on the date I am Heading East, maybe I'll see it on the Road to NYC.

Shadowhand, this is the nice thread, with some abuse thrown in.....

socks

TDI
Blue Graphite 2006 Jetta 5sp, 0 pkg
Hey Nick - you've got a PM.

Howdy all, I've been out of the loop for some time. I'm hoping to maybe make to a GTG sooner or later...

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
MKIII Hitch?

Does anyone have a hitch that will fit my 98 Jetta they want to get rid of? I'm going to run by u-pull-r this weekend to see if there might be one on a junker there. I need to pull a little motorcycle trailer down to Iowa City and back a few times. I figure the Jetta running BioDiesel will be much more economical than the Suburban...:D
Thanks!
David

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
i have a hitch for a 98 jetta! i'd gladly sell it to you, i've been trying to sell it for a couple years lol!!

i cleaned, painted it. and as you probably read above, i'm driving to MN next week and can bring it along... i'll send a pm :)

joey944

Veteran Member
TDI
03 TDI Jetta Wagon Auto, 03 Golf TDI 5sp.
Timing belt/water pump time! I hate to ask because i feel I have gotten more than I've given. I hope some of ya would like to GTG at my place again. This time I plan to do the T-Belt etc on the Jetta Wagon. I have the parts, I'll get some beer maybe pizza. I just need a cpl hands and some timing tools. Any takers? Also I can be here most days so whatever works best I can plan. Thanks again in advance!!! ha ha get it advance? (timing humor) I know it's retarded.... oh snap There I go again. OK I'm done.

Farmboy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf SE TDI 6spd 109k miles; '00 A4 NB 5spd 216k; '96 B4 Passat Sedan 220k
<snip>Timing belt/water pump time...I just need a cpl hands and some timing tools.
Hey. Haven't met yet, I'm down the street in Bloomington. Happy to loan you my ALH tools. If timing works out (get it?), happy to lend a hand. PM me to line up a tool hand-off, if you want.

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I was looking at the comparison of the blue motion tdi to an american 2.0 tdi, between VW of Germany and America's websites... This is what I came up with, thought some of you might find it amuzing:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
100hp vs 140hp. Emissions differences?
I have to wonder why it won't come over here, could it be someones agenda against diesel?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
100hp vs 140hp. Emissions differences?
I have to wonder why it won't come over here, could it be someones agenda against diesel?
VW dealership techs are having enough trouble trying to figure out how to work on a single TDI engine model (two actually, 2.0-liter and 3.0-liter). It is too much to expect them to learn about other 3-, 4-, 5-, and 6-cylinder engines.

In fact, the dealer techs don't really understand gasoline engines either.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I can't blame the techs, I blame the dealers. Hire some skilled labor and we shouldn't have this issue. In my opinion, this isn't the issue, but definitely a problem if they do bring more over.

btw, I saw you on 694 last Friday. Still sporting the grill delete I see :D

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I can't blame the techs, I blame the dealers. Hire some skilled labor and we shouldn't have this issue. In my opinion, this isn't the issue, but definitely a problem if they do bring more over.

btw, I saw you on 694 last Friday. Still sporting the grill delete I see :D
Yes, my Golf is sufficiently distinctive that you can spot it going the opposite way on the freeway.

On the other hand, I see so many TDIs on the road every day, that I can't tell whether the driver is someone I might know.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Hey. Haven't met yet, I'm down the street in Bloomington. Happy to loan you my ALH tools. If timing works out (get it?), happy to lend a hand. PM me to line up a tool hand-off, if you want.
Two weeks advance and I could make it on a Saturday. I can be the extra hands too. VCDS too...

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
well i got the dash in the rabbit, and passed inspection with flying colors :) WOOHOOO!! much nicer having a dash and everything (mostly) in place - still some interior details to finish. but all ready to head out tomorrow .. first to duluth, then bemidji, then twin cities...

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
Had some work done by the awesome Jeff Thealignmentguy
TT/R32 LCA bushings, 225/40 18 Nitto Neogens ($500 shipped and a $100 rebate on the way) on these dual drilled B5 RS4 reps. And an alignment. Finally.

The wheels need cleaning and refinishing (mad curb rash), but I needed new tires something awful and wasn't going to put new ones on those ugly Montereys.

Also, these Nitto Neogens ride nicer and quieter than the 195/65 Firestone FR380 i was burning up that were on it when I bought it. We'll see if it stays that way.

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Last edited: