New Recall for front sunroof drains

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
There is a new recall out for modifying the front sunroof drains. 2001 to 2007 cars Bug, Jetta, Golf, J/wagon and R32. Code 60A7/8. Be watching the mail for it. FYI only.

If you want to do it yourself just clip the drain ends and you're done. However the drain gets cleaned as well. Joe

Last edited:

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
Yea! I was able to open one a year or so ago with string trimmer line.

The other is still clogged and if I don't watch how I park I get wet.

Any mileage limitation? I'm at 190k in my 2001.

abranz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB & Jetta
Don't want to sound dense but are you referring to the outside or inside A piller covers? How do I remove without breaking something? Thanks Tony

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
abranz said:
Don't want to sound dense but are you referring to the outside or inside A piller covers? How do I remove without breaking something? Thanks Tony
Inside, carefully pull them off.

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
Aquaticmind said:
Since Im not the original owner, how would I get in on this recall?
Have dealer input your VIN and see if your car applies.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Received my recall notice today, but I have already clipped the drain ends, so I don't think I'll waste my time.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
joetdi said:
There is a new recall out for modifying the front sunroof drains. 2001 to 2007 cars Bug, Jetta, Golf, J/wagon and R32. Code 60A7/8. Be watching the mail for it. FYI only.

If you want to do it yourself just clip the drain ends and you're done. However the drain gets cleaned as well. Joe
does this include RABBIT as well?

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
$30M+ for the lawyers - a new schedule for us

I am opting out. At most I would get reimbursed for work done because I didn't maintain my car. At least I get an additional page for the Owner's Manual. The lawyers need to get by somehow on a paltry $30,000,000 plus another $1,500,000 for their expenses.

If somebody could persuade VWOA to stand behind their customers for the Balance Shaft issue, the Glow Plug and fouled up ECU programming issue, and the decreased timing belt interval issue I would consider that of value.

This insanity has to stop!

JC_1992

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, 2001 Jetta GLS
daedalus said:
I am opting out. At most I would get reimbursed for work done because I didn't maintain my car. At least I get an additional page for the Owner's Manual. The lawyers need to get by somehow on a paltry $30,000,000 plus another $1,500,000 for their expenses.

If somebody could persuade VWOA to stand behind their customers for the Balance Shaft issue, the Glow Plug and fouled up ECU programming issue, and the decreased timing belt interval issue I would consider that of value.

This insanity has to stop!
I agree with you.

This does seem pretty rediculous, with all of the other problems out there that should be addressed and they chose to take on the faulty sunroof drains :confused: plus how much the lawyers want.

It's kind of pathetic

Brockflock

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TDi New Beetle
I got the notice today too! Read it carefully! It says that,"The repair was caused by water entering the vehicle through the sunroof or plenum area."

Here is what my dealer put in their repair invoice:

"Customer states vehicle has water leaking in rear passenger side window. No leak present at this time. Inspected. Cleaned sunroof drains."

So I was screwed before they even started the suit! First they deny a leak: Well, d.s. of course it's not leaking, you're inside! But then they just went and cleaned out the drains anyway? On a lark? Gee, they didn't have historical evidence of this, just just thought it would be nice to give us a car with clean drains!

What a crock!

I specifically recall this visit. I also recall that they didn't clean the drains out well enough to stop the leak. I wound up doing that at home afterward! On my own, with the help and advice of those on this forum.

So, NO THANKS TO VW!, or to the stealership, Vordermann in Ft. Wayne, In.:p

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Pasatt TDI , 2008 Mercdes E-320 Bluetec, 1983 300D mercedes (Sold :-(
I just got this letter today. I had the flooding issue and went through replacing the wiring harness and TCM. or CCM as sometimes referred to.

It says to submit receipts for repair and out of pocket expenses. Thy have set aside $8 million for this.
I agree that the attorneys fees are astronomical. Bet they all mercedes or Bimmers. LOL

there is a website http://www.wateringresssettlement.com

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
Why would they only cover the front drains? The rear ones are the real PITA.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
My Golf gets done tomorrow.

This is the third recall I found out about here first.

Window regulators, MAF, and now this.

Thanks to the members here.

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
I did my first one on a beetle today, real simple job. In and out in about a half hour. The other cars affected are even easier to do since there is no trim to worry about.

troopertripp

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
My drain tube on the drivers side shrank and came disconnected, causing flooding in my car. I had to spend $hundreds at a body shop for them to dis-assemble my a pillar trim and put an extension tube in so it would drain.

I knew to keep the drains open from reading about it here, years ago.

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
Spike Strip said:
Received mine today ...

Inspect, clean (if necessary), and modify drains.

Anyone know what the modification will be ?
Cutting the ends of the drains off.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
I will forward my former 03's notice to the current owner.

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
The settlement claims it may also cover damage caused by water ingress.

I have had some flooding, and my drivers side crash sensor is fuxxored. I wonder if I can get them to replace that too. hmmm...

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
02 Beetlw TDi Victim said:
I got the notice today too! Read it carefully! It says that,"The repair was caused by water entering the vehicle through the sunroof or plenum area."

Here is what my dealer put in their repair invoice:

"Customer states vehicle has water leaking in rear passenger side window. No leak present at this time. Inspected. Cleaned sunroof drains."

So I was screwed before they even started the suit! First they deny a leak: Well, d.s. of course it's not leaking, you're inside! But then they just went and cleaned out the drains anyway? On a lark? Gee, they didn't have historical evidence of this, just just thought it would be nice to give us a car with clean drains!

What a crock!

I specifically recall this visit. I also recall that they didn't clean the drains out well enough to stop the leak. I wound up doing that at home afterward! On my own, with the help and advice of those on this forum.

So, NO THANKS TO VW!, or to the stealership, Vordermann in Ft. Wayne, In.:p
Submit the claim form that is in the notice you got and dealer receipt for the work. Explain the issue and that it was not fixed. You just might get reimbursed for what you paid.

--Nate

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
tadc said:
Why would they only cover the front drains? The rear ones are the real PITA.
Exactly! I just thought about this and I think because the fronts are real easy to get to (on the Golf the rear bumper cover has to be removed to get to the rear drains), this is why only the fronts are included. The fronts being clear must prevent most water leaks, even if the rear drains are clogged. If on level ground, water in the rear area may flow around the drip channel in the sunroof frame and drain out the front drains. VW is specifying it will do the minumum to satisfy those who it negotiated with (plantiffs' attorneys) to reach this settlement. VW probally argued that cleaning the fronts only would suffice and they must have convinced the attorneys that this was acceptable.

I am keeping my own drains clean. I park in a garage anyway.

Also, be forewarned: VW dealers will perform other open recalls on your car too without your knowledge or consent if you take your car in. If you do not want this done (think botched glow plug recal or EGR botched cooler replacement), do not turn your car over to them. It is so easy to snip the ends off the drain tubes yourself. I think that is all they do, after they run a cable through the tubes.

You can check the drains yourself. Open sunroof and pour water in the drip channel at each corner and watch for water to drain out at the A pillars (front) or the rear bumper area (rear drains).

--Nate

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have been circumcising sunroof drains for years on customers' cars that seemed to get clogged up easily due to trees and such where they park.

I just tickle the rest of them at every service, except the NBs that are kinda buried. I circumcise those any time I have to deal with them though.

I never had the recall done on the HVAC box in my Passat, but I did make sure all the cowl drains were cleaned when I replaced my battery.

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
My notice for my 09 Jetta TDI says that it's only an added service maintenance at 40,000 to clean.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
Got my notice today. I have cleaned the drains once but I don't think I clipped the ends.
Do the rear drains exit behind the rear bumper on Jetta wagons too?
Does the bumper need to come off to inspect and clip?