NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

Trooper81

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle, 2011 Touareg TDI
Yeah, blame the fuel suppliers all you want but Bosch and VW both knew the quality of our American fuel didn't meet the quality of fuel required for their pumps, and they ignored the fact that there would be problems.

Actualy the "specification" for the Quality of US fuel does barely meet the qualification for lubricity of the pump, with slightly reduced longivity. However the problem is the "actual" quality of US fuel is varying. From barely meeting spec to severly below spec, and as a result it is having an effect on the pumps. If all the fuel was at the minimum specification required with zero contamination we would probably see next to no fuel system failures.

Again, Vw covering the pumps is really a goodwill act in my eyes as the fuel suppliers should really be held accountable for not providing the quality and specific grade of fuel that is required of them by federal mandate.

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
No, the specification does not meet the pump's spec.

Pump requires 460 um maximum wear scar fuel, US spec is 520 um with 560 allowed, and there is plenty of fuel that exceeds even that in the US due to weak laws.

Trooper81

Veteran Member
TDI
It seems you are correct. Those numbers would be definitely in the insufficient lubricity catagory with significant reduced pump life.

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
I have fueled in 20 states over 110,000 miles.

If the pump was so bad that we should expect a failure every 36k - 60k miles....well, let's just say I am way past 3 sigma beyond the average.

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
No, the specification does not meet the pump's spec.

Pump requires 460 um maximum wear scar fuel, US spec is 520 um with 560 allowed, and there is plenty of fuel that exceeds even that in the US due to weak laws.
Who is your source for such information? Always someone who claims this and that but no source. Since no one I've seen on these forums has ever tested any diesel fuel for lubricity how do we know what the truth is..

All I can add is that I was told by someone way up the chain with 76 here in California that they guarantee their diesel to spec out at 480 or less. Insofar as they are also among the few companies who quality for 'top tier' recognition is good enough for me.

Last edited:

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
All I can add is that I was told by someone way up the chain with 76 here in California that they guarantee their diesel to spec out at 480 or less. Insofar as they are also among the few companies who quality for 'top tier' recognition is good enough for me.
So what? You can find quality fuel yourself, so there isn't a problem? What if you wanted to drive to another state? Would you call every gas station and ask to speak with some "higher up" management guy who's job is to caress your ego by assuring you that the fuel they sell is infallible?

I get what you're saying... but there are a minimum of three major flaws in the original design of this fuel system and pump. The most critical of these flaws is a total intolerance to a higher wear scar level.

You posted in another thread that these pumps are going to last at least 500K miles because they were supposed to last 750K miles on European fuel. Do you really believe that?

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
So what? You can find quality fuel yourself, so there isn't a problem? What if you wanted to drive to another state? Would you call every gas station and ask to speak with some "higher up" management guy who's job is to caress your ego by assuring you that the fuel they sell is infallible?

I get what you're saying... but there are a minimum of three major flaws in the original design of this fuel system and pump. The most critical of these flaws is a total intolerance to a higher wear scar level.

You posted in another thread that these pumps are going to last at least 500K miles because they were supposed to last 750K miles on European fuel. Do you really believe that?[/QUOTE]

Does it really matter what I believe? Nope, didn't thing so.

Season's greeting to all :)

Trooper81

Veteran Member
TDI
The problem with biodiesel is that often poor quality bio can contain water which also will add to the wear. I'd like to see a failure with someone using a good quality additive such as Optilube XPD and fuel that has had zero conatamination. At that point i will believe that the design of the pump is bad. Until then the design is fine it's the quality of the fuel that is bad.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
If lubricity is truly the root cause of these failures, it should be possible to prevent them: (Diesel fuel additive study results.) Not so if its an inherently bad pump design. Do we have a record yet of any failures on pumps that used 2% soy bio-diesel?
I don't believe it's as black and white as that.

So, what's the wear scar rating of B2 contaminated with say 1% RUG? VW says it's poor quality diesel fuel causing the failures. VW's poorly designed pump apparently can't handle the poor quality retail fuel being sold across the USA. So, is the problem the pump or the fuel or both???

In a few more weeks, we should have VW's response to NHTSA's last IR. We should know a lot more about VW's assertion that poor quality fuel is the issue and not their pump design.

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
There is a thing called "fitness for use".

If the pump is ostensibly designed to use USA fuel without further additives, then its fitness for use must be considered when using this fuel.

Because my pump has lasted 110k on B2, we cannot say the pump is fit for use. It may have blown up at 40k on pump dino diesel.

I think I can say my pump is fit for use with B2. If it lasts another 100k I will be able to say it for sure! I don't plan to find out how long it will last on straight dino! :)

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
While I'm among those in the 'no additive' camp I would gladly use B2 if it were offered by Chevron, 76 or say Shell. Not going to risk using some independent grease pit shop to buy it.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Buy Biodiesel from Downs

:)

Go to Downs in Corona and fill some five gallon containers and add one liter per tank.

Downs is not junk, but is quality biodiesel.

:D

D

eddif

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD Automatic

Go to Downs in Corona and fill some five gallon containers and add one liter per tank.

Downs is not junk, but is quality biodiesel.

D
What is the shelf life (storage life) of the Corona biodiesel?

Sounds like some folks would really have some old biodiesel if they bought that much for an individual car.

I still think that there are multiple approaches needed to handle the HPFP problems. One or two approachs are not enough. When many cars get to 100,000 miles we will have some idea of the severity of the problem. I really think we will really know when many cars get to 300,000 miles, and I do not think expecting 300,000 miles from well designed diesels is beyond reason. I have an Isuzu diesel at 280,000 miles I drive now. My neglect and lack of replacement parts causes the problems I experience with it, and not design flaws.

eddif

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Biodiesel Shelf Life

What is the shelf life (storage life) of the Corona biodiesel?

Sounds like some folks would really have some old biodiesel if they bought that much for an individual car.

I still think that there are multiple approaches needed to handle the HPFP problems. One or two approachs are not enough. When many cars get to 100,000 miles we will have some idea of the severity of the problem. I really think we will really know when many cars get to 300,000 miles, and I do not think expecting 300,000 miles from well designed diesels is beyond reason. I have an Isuzu diesel at 280,000 miles I drive now.
My neglect and lack of replacement parts causes the problems I experience with it, and not design flaws.

eddif

Sorry, but I do not know the shelf-life of biodiesel. Perhaps someone does? :confused:

I hope I did not buy too much when I got 10 gallons recently? :confused:
I only use one liter per tank, so I got enough for many many miles.

After spending some time this morning reading all the bad news about
many here experiencing HPFP failures, I am really depressed! :mad:

When we bought ours almost two years ago, I expected to have it for many
trouble free years, but now I wonder if that is indeed possible?
:confused:

Time will tell! :p

D

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
I routinely keep good quality ASTM certified B100 for up to a year without any problems, ran fine, looked fine, smelled fine. Stored at 70F, low humidity, no light. Shelf life is highly dependent on environmental conditions.

Engineers<3Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDI
I routinely keep good quality ASTM certified B100 for up to a year without any problems, ran fine, looked fine, smelled fine. Stored at 70F, low humidity, no light. Shelf life is highly dependent on environmental conditions.

Where are you getting your B100? Only coop shops here in Raleigh selling pure bio. Family is in Hampstead so I head down to the coast often enough to purchase a gallon or so at a time.

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
Where are you getting your B100? Only coop shops here in Raleigh selling pure bio. Family is in Hampstead so I head down to the coast often enough to purchase a gallon or so at a time.
I can't find anything local that I trust. I order a 5gal Bio-Cube from www.hyperfuels.com and add 1qt per tank for lubricity. Shipping is about as much as the bio-cube itself but still cheaper than PowerService, Opti-lube, etc..

Last edited:

madmako

TDI
2011 JSW 6M MetWhite SR
How Much Will Adding Lubricity Help?

.... I'd like to see a failure with someone using a good quality additive such as Optilube XPD and fuel that has had zero conatamination. ......
I'm crossing my statistically insignificant fingers in hopes the issue is mitigated through improved lubricity addititives. I've been using Stanadyne in my marine diesel as recommended by injection pump rebuilders for several years and immediately noticed the differences. For my JSW, I've been using FPPF Lubricity Plus in hopes of offsetting the effect of poor fuel quality on what may be a marginal pump design.

Of course, just a tad of RUG from a station's in-ground fuel tank and it's Game Over.:eek:

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Do the 6 cyl HPFP blowed up just like the 4? Sister is thinking MB diesel.
Anything with a Bosch CP 4.1 single rail platform pump or Bosch CP4.2 2 rail platform pump for a V6 or V8, is subject to the HPFP failing. The Badge, brand, name or model of the car is irrelevant.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Anything with a Bosch CP 4.1 single rail platform pump or Bosch CP4.2 2 rail platform pump for a V6 or V8, is subject to the HPFP failing. The Badge, brand, name or model of the car is irrelevant.

But as often? Is the failure rate for 6 as high as 4? I've never heard that 6 fails anywhere near as much as four cyl. The MB bluetech has a 4 year warranty with a 7 year extended. That right there is much better. The above pumps includes MB? MB uses CP3.3 previous gen right? No blowed up right?

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
The MB does use the CP3.3, which is fairly reliable.

The CP4-based engines in the US are:

2009+ VW 2.0 TDI
2009+ VW 3.0 V6 TDI
2011+ Ford PowerStroke 6.7
2011+ GM Duramax 6.6

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
The NHSTA investigators also need to look into why VW changed the fuel system on the 2012 Passat tdi's. Why were those changes made?

So VW is damned if they don't do something and damned if they do.....

You sold your car. Now run along and take your bucket of FUD with you.

Bill

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Supposedly you can get b100 in Pittsboro. There is a bio processing plant there somewhere. You can get b20 at the gas station off 64, across from lowes and McDonald's. They don't sell d2, only b20.

Absolute Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG (SOLD)
The MB does use the CP3.3, which is fairly reliable.
The CP4-based engines in the US are:
2009+ VW 2.0 TDI
2009+ VW 3.0 V6 TDI
2011+ Ford PowerStroke 6.7
2011+ GM Duramax 6.6
Have the VW 3.0 V6 TDI's had HPFP failures yet that we know off? Wasn't aware that these bigger engines use this exact same pump.

The NHSTA investigators also need to look into why VW changed the fuel system on the 2012 Passat tdi's. Why were those changes made?
Unless I'm mistaken, the only obvious change was the fuel filter assembly. But even the Jetta's, Golfs, and A3's have used 3 different fuel filter assemblies before the passat's 4th.