Did I put the wrong oil in my TDI?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
That's not a diesel-rated oil, so doesn't have the extra additives needed to hold a diesel engine's soot in suspension for the life of the oil, but it would not have caused engine damage in 400 miles.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Where did you find an oddball oil like that?

Your car calls for 505.01. Many have had great success with the mainstream 5W40 oils available in the USA.

bestsilverjetta

TDI
jetta
General auto parts on Oakland California. they were out of 5w40 which i knew was the safest bet. they were positive this would work. After two calls asking they were 100 percent sure this oil was fine they gave me the ok. last time a trust an auto parts store in getting me the correct part :/

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
You could run thousands and thousands of miles on that oil. :)

Not recommended... and your cam in particular might wear a bit faster... but the engine would be fine overall.

T'were me I'd change it asap... there's a ton of info on the "right" oils for your PD TDI right here in this sub-forum.

Some details about your something that is significantly wrong would be helpful, if you want to dig into what's actually going on with your engine?

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Per the manual - VW 505.01 (5w40 Synthetic)

Practically - (since you're out of warranty) - anything diesel rated 5w40. You might get better using Shell Rotella T6 or Mobil Turbo Diesel truck .

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
Long-term it might cause problems, but you could put tap water in the crankcase for 400 miles and not hurt anything.

Well....maybe not tap water. But ANY oil will be OK in the short term.

-mickey

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Long-term it might cause problems, but you could put tap water in the crankcase for 400 miles and not hurt anything.

Well....maybe not tap water. But ANY oil will be OK in the short term.

-mickey
I would only try that with Flint MI tap water. The lead adds lubricity. :D

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
The main thing with your car is that oil will cause more camshaft wear than normal, but probably not that much in less than 1k miles on that oil change. I would change to Pentosin 5w40 asap. It is regarded as very good for PD tdi engines.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Under "Explore ENEOS Products for Your Car" Eneos does not offer any product for a 2006 VW TDI, period.

Unfortunately your phone conversation with the auto parts store will not provide you any basis for a refund.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
please give us more vague information, it really helps identify the cause of your significant issues.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Auto store diesel oil vs VW dealer diesel oil

Regarding the diesel oil, for DIYS people, I would only trust the VW dealership supplies. Maybe save a little on the AUTO store filter.

I feel the same way about 100% diesel vs BIO diesel