bypass Immobilizer

coachgeo

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Blue Bug.. new top end
is there a way to bypass the immobilizer?
I would assume you could only do this on a running car that has NOT ben shut down by the immobilizer
but from that point can you program your OWN car to NOT use the immibilzer?

Last edited:

ibanix

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd
coachgeo said:
is there a way to bypass the immobilizer?

I would assume you could only do this on a running car that has NOT ben shut down but the immobilizer

but from that point can you program your OWN car to NOT use the immibilzer?
Some tuners can do an Immo delete. Contact Jeff at Rocketchip or Charlie at KermaTDI.

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I have a kerma tune and _really_ like it.

I've heard good things about RC, so I'm not bashing it at all, I just wanted to put my $.02 on the choice I made :)

coachgeo

Veteran Member
TDI
Good to know. Once we get my damn thing fixed I'll look into a chip burning that will retune some and mostly.... get rid of the damn Immo

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I like mine because it comes with the q-loader.

I can change my tune whenever I want, free for life. I paid $100 bucks for unlimited tunes. means whenever I change something (new injectors, new clutch, etc) I just have to ask and they will send me a tune to utilize the upgrade. You have to pay for a new tune with any other tune provider as far as I know.

tivoKlr

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, black
I spoke with Charlie at Kerma as I would also love to disable immob on my car since I have 2 keys that are not programmed into the system due to not having them at the dealer when I had one added, but he can only do the work on the bench, not with the q-loader.

just FYI.

tivoKlr

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, black
i have the q-loader

I have the q-loader, and it's money. I was hoping that it would be possible to have the immob disabled as part of a "tune" but alas no.

If the q-loader was available when I had my car chipped the first time, I would have avoided some problems I encountered/created recently when upgrading my turbo due to the original failing.

Either way, just trying to pass along valid information.

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
You can program you keys with it if you're "in" the system. Might be cheaper to let the stealership do it, however.

coachgeo

Veteran Member
TDI
d2305 said:
You can program you keys with it if you're "in" the system. Might be cheaper to let the stealership do it, however.
oh ok... guess your a bit confused.

this thread is not about working WITH the immobilizer. its about getting rid of the damn thing entirely.

disconneccting the thing and THROWING OUT

Give it the boot

put in on top of a tin can and shoot it with a 12 gauge at close range

stuff it in Ben Lauden's mouth when they put him in the electric chair. (can think of better orrifaces for it but I'll be nice and not mention them.)

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
If you ever want your engine to run for more than 10 seconds, you either need to take it to the stealership, or ship your ecu to have the immobilizer disabled. The sterlership is the cheaper option.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Veteran Member
TDI
d2305 said:
If you ever want your engine to run for more than 10 seconds, you either need to take it to the stealership, or ship your ecu to have the immobilizer disabled. The sterlership is the cheaper option.
Thank you for your input.

Remember this thread is about AFTER we have fixed the present Immo and etc. issues and have the car running again.

If your speaking to me on my Immo issue-

What is the base of your reasoning? We have the newest Ross Tech software and Lindy has recoded a car to keys before without a problem using his previous software.

Other symptoms (deludge of faults not just Immo) is leading more toward a failed chip or bad relay or corroded connection. Just have not been able to find it.

Would be better to reply in the thread discussing the problem.

Last edited:

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Personnally, and I'm not there to look at it, I believe you need to replace the cluster. So I think what he is suggesting is that you go to a dealer to replace the cluster (not how I would do it), or send the ECU to a tuner to reprogram it to remove the requirement of the immobiliser.

I couldn't say which is cheaper.

ibanix

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd
d2305 is correct. You can not disable the immo without the specality tools that the dealership has (which are not the same as the VAG-COM equiv), or a chip tuner can modify your ECU on the bench.

coachgeo said:
Thank you for your input.

Remember this thread is about AFTER we have fixed the present Immo and etc. issues and have the car running again.

If your speaking to me on my Immo issue-

What is the base of your reasoning? We have the newest Ross Tech software and Lindy has recoded a car to keys before without a problem using his previous software.

Other symptoms (deludge of faults not just Immo) is leading more toward a failed chip or bad relay or corroded connection. Just have not been able to find it.

Would be better to reply in the thread discussing the problem.

coachgeo

Veteran Member
TDI
ibanix said:
d2305 is correct. You can not disable the immo without the specality tools that the dealership has (which are not the same as the VAG-COM equiv), or a chip tuner can modify your ECU on the bench.
Thak you for the clarification.

I will clarify as well. I am aware that you can not use Vag Com or Ross tech software to bypass the immobilizer. this thread is not about that.

This thread intent was to find out about how to remove the immobilizer from the path of computer talking in the VW.. but only AFTER FIXING everything back into a normal operating status.

We now have a new/used working cluster to help us diagnose the problem. Hopefullly this will direct us to the answer and get it back into working order.

THEN I plan to take what I learn in this thread and deactivate the immobilizer so it cant create such a problem again.

-------------------------

Now back to topic of this thread...

bypassing the immobilizer III on a WORKING Golf/Jetta 2003

Ibanix seems your saying the dealer can bypass the immobilizer AFTER we get this thing fixed. Right? or do you feel the only option at that point is a retune of chips to accomplish this?

thanx for any advice you might have.

PS. I confuse easy:D So lets please keep the suggestions, thoughts, and hints on how to fix my existing problems in the thread that discusses those so we dont combumple jumble these two topics. Both threads are intended to be different discussion on different topics. (Same chips.... different discussions about them) this will greatly help avoid maxing out my synaptic(sp?) joints :eek: :p

Last edited:

ibanix

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd
As far as I am aware, the immo functions are part of the ECU. You either need the dealer-specific tool to disable this ECU function; or a chip tuner with appropriate tools can actually modify the circuitry on your ECU.

I'm almost 100% confident that a dealer will not disable the immo for you, as this is a anti-theft feature. It would open them to liability.

And, I think anyone who tries this themself without prior experience, is probally crazy. Great way to destroy your ECU.

Short version: Get your ECU out, send it to a tuner like RC or Kerma, get it back in the mail, go on with life.

coachgeo

Veteran Member
TDI
ibanix said:
As far as I am aware, the immo functions are part of the ECU.....
Your probably right. Guessing that the ECU call for data from the Immo and then ECU runs protocals according to the data.

So judging by your comments along with the others its the ECU only that gets sent out for reprograming and no other chips.

Does anyone know if any of the reprogramers have an ECU they rent out to use while yours is being reprogrammed or something simular so you don't have so much down time w/out a car.

My MB 300sd (supose to only be a part car for my dissasembled Unimog) just bit the dust sorta so Im totally without transportation now.

Last edited:

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
coachgeo said:
oh ok... guess your a bit confused.

this thread is not about working WITH the immobilizer. its about getting rid of the damn thing entirely.

disconneccting the thing and THROWING OUT

Give it the boot

put in on top of a tin can and shoot it with a 12 gauge at close range

stuff it in Ben Lauden's mouth when they put him in the electric chair. (can think of better orrifaces for it but I'll be nice and not mention them.)
Who is Ben Lauden? Sounds Scottish.

Maybe my "fishy" antennae are a little too sensitive on this one. Tuners aside, why are we even entertaining this thread? Someone asks about disabling an anti-theft device...and we give tips?

I work at the electric company, if someone asked me about bypassing their meter, I wouldn't give them tips on how to lower their bill.

The immobilizer exists for a reason: to make it more difficult to steal a VW.

But again, maybe I'm overreacting to this.

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
bypassing the immobilizer is a complete valid question. it is known for triggering for random reasons (bad grounds, bad battery contacts, shorts, because it feels like it, because the moon is half full....). MANY people disable it because of all the trouble it causes.

and to make it even worse, if it does trigger...only way to fix it is to TOW it to the dealership and pay a ridiculous fee for them to plug into it and enable it.

in short, it can be a repeated expense for no other reason than it feels like it, so people get rid of it.

coachgeo

Veteran Member
TDI
puter said:
.... because of all the trouble it causes.
.... only way to fix it is to TOW it to the dealership (...expensive repairs) ..
AMEN BROTHA

Apparently the common electrical gremlins of the VW of this era; when they fall in the Immo circuit, it causes havoc with that chip resulting in expensive and really PITA trouble.

Last edited:

wczorn

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Gl TDI 5 SPD
charlie of KermaTDI will be at the gtg this Saturday in the Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex. If you can drive the car bring it, if not, bring the ecu. Why don't you get in touch with Charlie at KermaTDI and see if he can help you with this problem? Here's the thread on the gtg that will be in Haltom City, just east of Ft. Worth this Saturday, 11/22:http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=221727 Here's the Kerma website: http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/StoreFront The gtg starts at 9 am. Hope you can make it.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Veteran Member
TDI
wczorn said:
charlie of KermaTDI will be at the gtg this Saturday in the Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex. .....
ARGGGGG...... DAMIT.... this might be the break I need to solve the issues discussed in the other thread.

errrrrrrrrrrrg But dammit I can not go. Have classes to teach all morning and a huge event Im part around 2:00-3

GAWDDDDDDd I hope lindy can go. Or maybe if it has not died by later in the after noon I can go then if I can find I ride.

I now have no transportation at all.

ibanix

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd
coachgeo said:
ARGGGGG...... DAMIT.... this might be the break I need to solve the issues discussed in the other thread.

errrrrrrrrrrrg But dammit I can not go. Have classes to teach all morning and a huge event Im part around 2:00-3

GAWDDDDDDd I hope lindy can go. Or maybe if it has not died by later in the after noon I can go then if I can find I ride.

I now have no transportation at all.
Call him and see if you can work something out. www.kermatdi.com